Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Have you destroyed a fully functional Remnant Battlestation?

Yes, a near flawless kill too
Yes, but with heavy losses
No, I tried but it wasn't happening
No, I haven't even tried yet

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]  (Read 13738 times)

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »

I'm getting the distinct impression that upping the battle size just so you can deploy a massive wall of ships is a great way to go... >_>

As for the poll, well, looking like quite a few players can't even find one or are either intimidated to the point they don't want to try or just plain aren't interested in taking on Starsector's biggest challenge!

I've tried, but quite frankly I'm not man enough.  For the past few years my StarSector play has over-relied on level 50+ player character skills, maximum possible OP on all my ships, and egregious abuse of the AI's inability to handle a much faster enemy ship to solo gigantic fleets.  Now that the new metagame of 0.8a favors overpowered fighter spam and all my favorite old tricks no longer exist, I'm less than half as good as I was in previous StarSector versions.  Why, I haven't even beat the tutorial fleet solo with the starter Wolf yet, if that tells you how bad I am.  (His ego protested, I never tried it with Tac Lasers and the Heavy Blaster, his common sense retorted, it wouldn't matter, it can't be done.)  It only took me two tries to beat down a decrepit battlestation, but the full-power one was beyond the ability of my first character's lategame fleet of cruisers with a battleship or two and no more than 25% carriers.  I know I could do it with a carrier fleet, but that's not the way I play.  I mean apparently I could solo it with a Monitor but that's not the way I play either.

Anybody else have a threat assessment glitch from playing against the Templars for years?  For some reason even though intellectually I know the Remnants are vanilla content, I assume a Templar-level danger from them and I want to over-deploy by 3x.  The battlestation is the only vanilla content that you actually have to treat it like Templars in order to beat it.
I actually ended up buffing the battle-station significantly because I'm used to gearing up for Crusades and ended up obliterating it with no significant damage. The next two fights actually warranted the full deployment.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 02:48:19 AM »

One note that people might want to know: I'm pretty sure that the battlestations' part loadouts DON'T have all their OP used, and I don't mean like 1 or 2 points either!
Edit: Got bored and wanted to see what I could face with my fleet so I did this:
Spoiler
Bullet Hell anyone?
[close]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:00:59 AM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 07:07:01 AM »

The winning move is not to play (their game by moving into their weapons range).  For now, Paragon abusing skills and ECM buddies can pick off those stations one by one.  Astral can knock off unshielded sections easily enough with Sparks but killing the shielded sections will be painful.  Astral can solo one station with difficulty, but three stations may be too hard (due to peak performance).  Astral does not seem to get "minor enemy presence" that conventional warships get to stop the peak performance bleeding after an enemy fleet or battlestation sections gets reduced to a small enough force.

Next patch should stop the exploits I use to make battlestations mostly harmless.

A.Winge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »

Finally beat both the "blue" AI Battlestation and the "red" AI Battlestation; I had one or two ships from mods, but mostly vanilla.  I lost a Legion (D), which didn't matter to me much (I've recovered at least three of those, and bought one more).  I had to retreat the two Onslaughts, though, and my Paragon was around half health.  I think the other Legion and the Matriarch (Imperial) were doing OK.

And...that brings me up to 35 million credits without a Commission.  Also, I'm pretty sure I'm better armed than most of the Military shipyards...combined.  I suppose I should start kicking the hornet's nest, starting with the Templars...

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »

Finally beat both the "blue" AI Battlestation and the "red" AI Battlestation; I had one or two ships from mods, but mostly vanilla.  I lost a Legion (D), which didn't matter to me much (I've recovered at least three of those, and bought one more).  I had to retreat the two Onslaughts, though, and my Paragon was around half health.  I think the other Legion and the Matriarch (Imperial) were doing OK.

And...that brings me up to 35 million credits without a Commission.  Also, I'm pretty sure I'm better armed than most of the Military shipyards...combined.  I suppose I should start kicking the hornet's nest, starting with the Templars...
Speaking of mods, the Mimir is great against both station types, once the shields are down on the full one. Its Nidhoggr Lance absolutely tears through the modules.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »

That alternate and separate remnant cruiser I mentioned about, the one I modified into a visually symmetrical super-ship for my own use. Well, I'm still quite baffled that for once I didn't/don't even have to make and put alternate modified weapons on it because the default two Heavy Blasters and the default two Mjolnirs do the most damage, not sure about the default two Ion Cannons I have on it but that aside, what makes it all work is the fact that I made that personalized ship of mine get rid of flux in much larger amounts.

Heh, I'm such a hipster minor/robust modding nerd of sorts as half the things I usually use and play with are usually all altered and made superior by myself and so running into something that already has the destructive effect I need is just plain awesome. Modding and cheating is the first thing I do in every (singleplayer) game.

That also aside, currently I'm flying a heavily altered and personalized version of a Talus-class carrier freighter from Tore Up Plenty mod with more visible engines on the right bottom side which I added only to the altered version to calm my OCD down about trying to figure out where the center of mass is while using thrust to go forward in-game.
By default, Talus and its precursor, Tarsus are not combat ships, I know that but for me to be able to use and enjoy ships with small weapon mounts only, I do need my customized super weaponry on the weapon mounts that are set to universal so I can test other weapons in the game and make sure I'm not missing something new I could put to use but that is a secondary function only, I prefer to keep my options open just in-case and my weaponry quite deadly.

So why am I blithering about off-topic stuff? Because no matter what majority says, I still get enjoyment when I take down a large ship or a derelict mothership or a remnant battle station, knowing full-well that I'm gonna win the battle, gives me the opportunity to zone out, relax, chill and ponder on the game's lore and sometimes my god-like character's backstory and history.

To avoid further derailment, I find the remnant Spark fighter wings quite useful, those shields they have are indeed what helps them to survive, though I don't pay much attention to where they fly and fight as I'm too busy piloting my main ship but I always tend to find them drawing most of the enemy fleet's attention and buzzing around the bigger ships basically trolling the heck out of the opponents like keeping them trying to point and shoot to no avail and seldom see one or two of the Sparks coming to my ship for repairs. I'm not much of a fighter fan though and so the Sparks I've used have default configs of .8 version of the game.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:22:41 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.
Pages: 1 2 [3]