Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NPCs should salvage/recover derelicts  (Read 8614 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: NPCs should salvage/recover derelicts
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »

Rather than just fighting them, how about adding another option where you can pay them to allow you to pick some of the scavenge as well?

If the loot rare the NPC scavenger fleet could either:

- Sell it to you on a very high price (somewhere along the lines of unreasonable)
- Be jerk and try to kill you to keep the good stuff to themselves.
- Or just ignore you, and be on their way.

If the loot is something you can find lying around in the market or they are just some "nice" people, They can just sell it to you directly to "clean up some storage capacity", with or without their own tariffs.

Like this too. :D I'm still waiting for the ability to trade with fleets, although that might be a little too involved and complex for Starsector.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »

Like this too. :D I'm still waiting for the ability to trade with fleets, although that might be a little too involved and complex for Starsector.

Technically, we already have a way to "pay" NPCs. Luddic path, Pirates, and Cabal has this option already. The thing we just need is to combine it with the Salvage/market screen.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »

Yea it's just too many ships lying around and there's no challenge/competition for it besides fuel logistics in outer systems if you want to recover ships. Even as a non-combat character the amount of ships floating around seems excessive.

If you're a combat character who wants rare weapons, the fact that you're engaging in combat all the time should at least give you more opportunities to get those rare weapons. So Perhaps the rare weapons and hullmods should be more frequent loots, but NPCs should also be salvaging. This would have a way of reducing the derelict spam, and adding some more interesting competition.
That's because Alex holds fun and replay value above "immersion"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »

Yea it's just too many ships lying around and there's no challenge/competition for it besides fuel logistics in outer systems if you want to recover ships. Even as a non-combat character the amount of ships floating around seems excessive.

If you're a combat character who wants rare weapons, the fact that you're engaging in combat all the time should at least give you more opportunities to get those rare weapons. So Perhaps the rare weapons and hullmods should be more frequent loots, but NPCs should also be salvaging. This would have a way of reducing the derelict spam, and adding some more interesting competition.
And in what way would adding an element of both challenge and immersion undermine fun and replayability, rather than enhance it?

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

Midnight Kitsune, you have a way of responding to a lot of threads and posts I make with these low-content replies, which in less moderated environments might be called s***posts.

Does it threaten you when people make suggestions? Please try to reply with actual arguments about the suggestion in question. The developer doesn't need you to be his cheerleader or commissar.

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »

so, is this feather exist yet?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 06:39:59 PM »

Not that I'm aware of.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »

Yes but it only happens outside the core sector with pre-generated derelicts.
I lost severals promising derelicts to scavenger fleets while exploring
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »

Wait what. :o This was added?

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »

Wait what. :o This was added?

Yeah i've never seen it either.  But if it is in they should absolutely be salvaging lower tier junk at a higher frequency.  It very quickly becomes not worth the players time to even look at them and it'd add some much needed life to the sectors if after a huge battle you saw all the scavengers looting the corpses.  Maybe a small line to make sure there's always one wreck left just in case the player is low on fuel/supplies, but seeing ships salvage adds a lot of "life" to a system (since you've only really got going to planet, orbiting, leaving, partrolling, and combat otherwise).

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »

Awesome, thanks

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 08:56:49 AM »

It's all fun and games until someone takes your XIV derelict-only ship before you do.
Looters in other games become priority targets to kill-on-sight, even if they are designated as friendly.  For example, in Transcendence (which is like single-player Diablo in space), there is a brown round ship called a Salvager that seeks out wrecks and loots them.  Similar to a gelatinous code in Nethack.  It is non-hostile (until you shoot it).  I exterminate them as quickly as possible because I do not want them taking my loot (and possibly equipping it).  I do not care if the rotten thieves get marked as friendly casualties in stats, I want them gone to eliminate the grief.

Players can be very attached to loot, if the game is loot driven, and stealing or destroying loot (especially if its equipment wielded instead of new stuff on the ground) can really bring out the worst in people.

This is why I wrote "Only you can see the wrecks in the game, and only they can see their wrecks." years ago, so they do not steal your loot.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »

I don't really like the idea of a feature that would punish someone for not exploring soon enough, similar to how I wouldn't like the core factions to colonise on their own because I don't want a feeling of "this planet isnt great but I need to settle it now before someone else does". Considering derelicts and debris fields give XP to find, it'd also be quite a punishment for someone who spent some time doing something else early on. Lore should work for game mechanics, not the other way round, otherwise- why is there any debris or derelict left at game start after 200 years of exploration (if salvage fleets were to claim derelicts and debris fields).

A compromise as it were could be that salvage fleets don't actually remove the things they salvage, but WILL intercept you when you try and salvage something they're salvaging or plan to salvage. That way you still get the NPC interaction but you don't feel like you need to rush out there and explore before other people do.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:07:21 AM by Aratoop »
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »

That's a feature from Starship Legends, Vanilla Starsector NPC fleets can't scavange or recover a ship or debris field
Pages: 1 [2] 3