Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Damaged fighters should dock and quick launch like reloading bombers  (Read 2759 times)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile

From what I can tell, when bombers reload their payload they also fix all their damage. Fighters without payloads however will never dock (except with the Astral's Recall Device) and therefore never repair even if they're one space dust away from explosive decompression. Would be nice if sufficiently damaged fighters (say lower than 75% hull) will dock for repairs (or replacement fighter?) and quick launch just like bombers do.

From a gameplay point of view it lets you actually recover your wings to full strength when regrouping (without needing a dock command), from a realism point of view well... if my rustbucket was about to shake itself apart I'd be swapping that for a new one the moment I get the chance.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I would not want this for ships with Converted Hangar, since they do not have the quick re-launch bonus.

For carriers with normal bays, having them fix themselves while they Regroup and no one is attacking the mothership can be nice.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile

For carriers with normal bays, having them fix themselves while they Regroup and no one is attacking the mothership can be nice.

Same thoughts here. It would be a really welcomed feature, especially for unshielded (so kinda almost all) fighters.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I would not want this for ships with Converted Hangar, since they do not have the quick re-launch bonus.

Good point, and I guess it kinda makes sense for a hobo-hangar.

Another reason to use real carriers!

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I thought they already did this on regroup orders, and am saddened to find this is not the case!

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile

Absolutely. When told to recall, all craft in all wings should dock if they have depleted missile weapons or any damage.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Absolutely. When told to recall, all craft in all wings should dock if they have depleted missile weapons or any damage.
No, no they shouldn't.  Severe damage, maybe, or if they have any damage and there are no hostiles within their engagement range, then sure.

But having them re-dock on any damage would unduly cripple keeping interceptors around to supplement point defense, or using any fighters on a ship that's capable of getting in close and brawling.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile

No, no they shouldn't.  Severe damage, maybe, or if they have any damage and there are no hostiles within their engagement range, then sure.

But having them re-dock on any damage would unduly cripple keeping interceptors around to supplement point defense, or using any fighters on a ship that's capable of getting in close and brawling.

Sure, but this was addressed in the original post with the idea of a damage threshold based on remaining Hull HP. I didn't see the need to reiterate, though I suppose I should have for clarity.