Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wolf Class frigates are just anoying to fight  (Read 11985 times)

Darkreaver1980

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Wolf Class frigates are just anoying to fight
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »

In basicaly every fight with wolf class friagtes on the enemy side, the battle just drags on and on and on....

The wolf class ships just constantly warp out of the firing arcs of my ships, without doing any real damage.

So its mostly just running in circles all the time till the readiness drop down enought so they take engine damage.

Fast fighters somewhat conter these but i mostly end up fighting 2-3 wolfes in EVERY single enemy fleet and that realy made me quit the game, cos i was sick of waiting 10-15 minutes in each battle.

I love the game and i never had problems with wolf frigates in all other builds, mainly because they werent that common.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:53:49 AM by Darkreaver1980 »

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf Class frigates are just anoying to fight
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:56:27 AM »

If you save a fast ship like a Safety Override Lasher in reserve for such an occasion (or just fly one), you can chase down the wolves despite the phase shift. Chasing them down in a destroyer can be annoying, but that's why you should bring some smaller ships as well.

Phase ships on the other hand...

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:00:41 AM »

When dealing with ships faster than yours, I have three suggestions for dealing with them:
  • Get a fast ship of your own to throw at them.
  • Salamander LRMs
  • Speedy fighters like Talons.
Pick whichever one works for you.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:52:51 AM »

This is why I still think that an SO medusa is one of the best player ships until you fight large fleets where frigates just die. It is fast enough to hunt down wolves, tempests or anything else. Only problem can be phase frigates. Really need a set of wasps/talons against them.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:02:46 AM »

oh, soon you will encounter luddic overrides, thats real pain.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »

Wolves, Remnant frigates, and other cowards are annoying to fight.  This is why little more than half of my fleet are carriers.  Nothing outruns fighters, and Talons are overpowered for their cost.

Salamanders are not as good as they used to be.  With unskilled character, I find that I need to launch about four (or more) at a time for them to reliably hit vulnerable enemies.  I guess maybe two can be enough if it causes the AI to try dodging them a bit instead of backpedalling all of time, even if the missiles get stopped.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »

Yeah I'll agree with Megas.

Fighters are essential to pinning down frigates because what should be their natural counter, destroyers, don't have a hope in hell at eliminating them in the current patch.

Salamander missiles I find only hit when the AI stupidly let it's shield down in the middle of a battle for no reason, which never used to happen in the past but this patch they are all a craze at face tanking HE rounds and emp weapons.

Range can be a good counter but getting that outside of a cruiser is hard, most frigates will kite cruisers across the map and the AI let's it happen. Very frustrating in big fleet battles when your heavies get bated across the map, leaving your carriers to fight the whole enemy fleet on their own and with no fighter cover.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

I have tried hunting frigates with my Wolf or Medusa.  Remnant frigates are faster, and if you fire energy weapons to attack, they may all of sudden decide charge and attack, and if you lose the flux war, you cannot escape so easily and you take damage or die.  If you try to chase a Lasher or some other ballistic user, you may end up losing flux war because kinetics are better.

Undamaged or skilled Lashers with Safety Override are good.  Damaged and unskilled SO Lashers do not have the flux stats to win the flux war reliably.  Some time ago, someone (who will remain anonymous) suggested to try SO Lasher against Remnant frigates.  That does not work if Lasher has damage mods (like Faulty Power Grid) and the player's commander is sufficiently unskilled.  Such a Lasher does not have the flux stats to win.

The AI generally has no problem countering two Salamanders at a time today.  I need to shoot about four of them to do what I used to be able to do with two.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »

It's also worth noting that the Wolf Phase Skimmer system is based on the Wolf's current velocity.  So when chasing a wolf it is fairly important to match relative velocities, that way when they do phase skim away you can stay with them easily

Also fairly important not to bump shields while matching velocities.  Usually shield bumps cause a gentle nudge away but in terms of relative velocities it is a very big change, as it bumps both ships directly away from each other 

On the other hand if you yourself are flying a Wolf and trying to get away from something up in your face then bumping shields before skimming is quite effective :)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »

wolves are p. easy to kill even with a destroyer

mix sabot & harpoon, overload shields and launch harpoons

ded wolf errytime son

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »

There are quite a few interceptor ships you can make to take care of Wolfs. Ion Beam on a Wolf, a Scarab with Ion Cannons, heck even a Falcon with SO and Unstable Injectors.

You can also chase them down with a relatively fast ship equiped with a Swarmer. Keep their shields up while you chase them down with the 0-flux speed bonus.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

My problem: wolves are one of, what, two frigates with a medium mount, and also one of the most mobile, and also one of the only energy frigates.
Too many niches for me, and too much making it an uncatchable kite-machine. If it were slow and had to use its skimmer to make up for it I wouldn't mind it as a high-tech support frigate, if it had smalls or built-in UI for dat gud gud 25% I'd appreciate it as a quick attack frigate, but top speed, top mobility and medium mount? Too above grade for me
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »

You must remember that its medium mount is an energy one, it can't really keep up in bigger scale fights with function other than a beam boat.
Just wait until you see Tempest...
My solution for uncatchable frigates is either bring SO murder machine or ignore them. I guess with fighters being very strong they can do short work of them too.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »

My problem: wolves are one of, what, two frigates with a medium mount, and also one of the most mobile, and also one of the only energy frigates.
Too many niches for me, and too much making it an uncatchable kite-machine. If it were slow and had to use its skimmer to make up for it I wouldn't mind it as a high-tech support frigate, if it had smalls or built-in UI for dat gud gud 25% I'd appreciate it as a quick attack frigate, but top speed, top mobility and medium mount? Too above grade for me
Off the top of my head...
Frigates with medium mounts: Wolf, Cerberus, Hound, Tempest, Hyperion, Vigilance, Brawler.
Frigates with energy mounts: Wolf, Tempest, Hyperion, Vigilance, Brawler (TT), Scarab, Omen, Afflictor, Shade. Plus those with hybrid or universal slots.
Frigates with medium energy mounts: Wolf, Tempest, Hyperion, Vigilance, Brawler (TT).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »

Its actually not that amazing of a frigate. Medium/low firepower even for a frigate, medium/high speed, low range, medium amount of missiles... the only thing it has going for it is the phase skimmer and decent speed making it survivable.

Interceptors, SO ships, Salamanders, missiles after an overload, long range kinetics... as people in the thread have pointed out, it has a lot of easy to get counters.
Pages: [1] 2 3