Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On surveying, salvaging and scavenger fleets  (Read 6480 times)

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
On surveying, salvaging and scavenger fleets
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »

While I haven't played as a scavenger very long, I'm already impressed by this newly added game aspect, and moreso pleased to see that freighters, salvage rigs and takers have more purpose than being XP/loot pinatas for enemy fleets.
While these don't take away from the experience at all, I've run into several issues that bug me:
  • Scavenger fleets are rather unexpectedly large, basically are the strongest pirate fleets, and act weird (in regard how they move about in space and react to other fleets). Do they "change their allegiance" from indies to pirates if they think they could take on a nearby fleet? Do they have any especially good ships in them or are they all meh-tier?
  • What is the point of Remote survey skill? Does it make any difference compared to flying up to a planet and conducting a preliminary survey "on site"?
  • Is the planet's hazard rating directly tied to the quality of survey data received? What's the max possible hazard rating?
  • Why does the "Decivilized" planetary condition not affect the hazard rating? It makes no sense.
  • The Neutrino detector - what's the point? It disables Travel Burn, it is completely unnecesarry for derelict scanning missions (unless the target is located in a system which has nothing but a dozen planets of the same type, I suppose), and gaining sensor profile with no boost to fleet burn is not good at all. Am I missing something here?

Thank you in advance.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: On surveying, salvaging and scavenger fleets
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »

Scavengers are the AI equivalent of a player. I think the game maybe doesn't distinguish between this enough but there's a moderate distinction between The Independent who function like a faction and try to look out for non-affiliated agents, and non-affiliated agents (such as the player). So, the way that scavengers look, grey when they're poking about then red & burning down onto you when nobody's around to witness it, is the way you look to the rest of the game
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »

• Why does the "Decivilized" planetary condition not affect the hazard rating? It makes no sense.

Whoops, that's a bug - it's supposed to. Fixed!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »

The Neutrino detector - what's the point? It disables Travel Burn, it is completely unnecesarry for derelict scanning missions (unless the target is located in a system which has nothing but a dozen planets of the same type, I suppose), and gaining sensor profile with no boost to fleet burn is not good at all. Am I missing something here?
Combination of adding another fuel to manage (volatiles) and disabling Sustained Burn makes me not want to use it ever.

Salvage rigs are useless if you do not have any points in Salvaging.  Salvage Gantries that ships have are capped by difficulty rating, and an unskilled player has 0%.  Also, most things have a max of 0%.  Only things like abandoned habitats and research stations have higher than 0%, and all of their loots is mostly more junk.  I have not found anything I want that I could not get elsewhere.  (The main reason why I want to salvage is more rare heavy weapons and hullmods that are locked behind commission, but all I find is common junk found in open/black markets.)  Sure, it is a way to make money, like Surveying.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »

1. Scavengers are at the moment a bit bugged because their allegiance switching hurts your independent reputation (it shouldn't, at least with your transponder off). And yes, they do so if they think they're capable of taking you or somebody else on, or just greedy. I think they're all mediocre equipped, though, with the best ships I saw being Falcon and Medusa.
2. Remote scan give preliminary scans, which show you how much it'll cost to survey a planet and a planet's hazard rating, showing whether you can survey it or not.
3. There's not big correlation, just some dangerous planets tend to give good survey data (like volcanic).
4. Human presence doesn't make those planets any more safe. Ninja'd I guess.
5. It shows debris, derelicts and other stuff. It disabling sustained burn is bad imo, it makes it harder to see which readings are false.

@Megas I've found a lot of uncommon weapons and hullmods on mining and research stations, like ITU or converted hangars.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »

@Megas I've found a lot of uncommon weapons and hullmods on mining and research stations, like ITU or converted hangars.
That is exactly the kind of loot I want, but did not get, except ITU, which I already found from endgame bounty grinding.  Most of the stuff I find is only good as things to sell for cash, not the combat powerup I desperately want but cannot buy due to everything good locked behind commission.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »

Research stations have given me the majority of every high tech weapon and hull mod I have. I have had much better luck finding stuff like ITU at research stations than markets (even with tritach commission). I have found 3 of the 4 tachyon lances that I have in research stations as well as mjolnir cannons and a lot of other slightly more common weapons that are still hard to come by in larger numbers like light needler. I have found pretty much every hull mod in research stations, yesterday I found converted hangars and ITU in two research stations in a single hour. I have also found stuff like hardened shields, augmented drive fields, IPDAI. You are very much undervaluing salvaging research stations. Orbital habitats and mining stations generally just have semi-valuable cargo and habitats can have ai cores. Mostly just money, but still a nice addition to profits on expeditions.

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »

Salvage rigs are useless if you do not have any points in Salvaging.  Salvage Gantries that ships have are capped by difficulty rating, and an unskilled player has 0%.  Also, most things have a max of 0%.  Only things like abandoned habitats and research stations have higher than 0%, and all of their loots is mostly more junk.  I have not found anything I want that I could not get elsewhere.  (The main reason why I want to salvage is more rare heavy weapons and hullmods that are locked behind commission, but all I find is common junk found in open/black markets.)  Sure, it is a way to make money, like Surveying.
As I understand it, probability of dropping weapons/LPCs/hullmods is not affected by the difficulty rating.  That only affects what resources (supplies/metal/machinery/etc.) you get from the salvage attempt.