Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Neutrino Detector: How to tell apart which readings are real?  (Read 15776 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Neutrino Detector: How to tell apart which readings are real?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »

Pretty sure. It was supposed to be at 3 o'clock position from the star. At first I just gave me a doubtful chase, stopping 3 more times to use my sensor burst and reactivate my sustained burn. After the 3rd time it when went 5 o'clock in correlation when I was midpoint near the edge of the map. Changed direction towards the new signal.

Found nothing.
hmm, maybe there was something else going on there. a fleet, maybe? i think those can show up as well.

or it was just a bug. i have never seen a false positive change relative position.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »

DeMatt's idea of the hashmarks would be really nice.

The false positives and ambiguity of the thing are a pretty good approximation of the actual nature of many remote sensing technologies, so I do like it.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

About the only thing I wish the Neutrino Detector had was fixed, clock-type angle reference markings.  Something that you could mentally reference the pings against, instead of having to guess.  See attached image! And marvel at my l33t MSPaint sk1llz.

Pretty sure. It was supposed to be at 3 o'clock position from the star. At first I just gave me a doubtful chase, stopping 3 more times to use my sensor burst and reactivate my sustained burn. After the 3rd time it when went 5 o'clock in correlation when I was midpoint near the edge of the map. Changed direction towards the new signal.

Found nothing.
It's entirely possible that the "false readings" periodically swap positions.  So while you were flying, the first false reading shut off, and a new false reading turned on.

False readings definitely don't change position.  It is possible to have a false reading obscured, say by a sun

Any sort of angle reference markings would be a great boon.  Your example there is quite nice

I typically use it by jumping into a system, moving a short distance from the jump point then taking a reading for a second.  I'll then hop back into hyperspace and reenter the system through a different jump point, moving a short distance and taking another reading for a second.  Quite often I can get good coverage of most of the system that way, for minimal cost in time & volatiles.  Sometimes I will need to manually fly to a better point for scanning & triangulating.  Once I've got a target triangulated then I'll fly to that area and leave the scanning on for the last little leg of the search

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »

I think that the best way to make neutrino better is to make it available for all, but the skill would unlock the ability to actually draw reading directions on the system map, so if you moved a bit you could triangulate, except without the hassle of remembering/actually writing it all down.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

Recording it on the map would be wonderful.  Perhaps with time since scanned attached? some systems can move around quite a lot over time, invalidating readings

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »

@TheWetFish nice tips, gonna try that jump in scan, jump out and in, scan tactic
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein
Pages: 1 [2]