Fractal Softworks Forum
October 20, 2017, 04:34:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Economy & Outposts (9/19/17); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Disassemble Reassemble v0.7 - Another lovingly kitbashed ship pack!  (Read 13407 times)
NightfallGemini
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »

These all feel really nice to fly and fight, especially the Manta; it kinda fills an early game niche in the Sunder/Hammerhead tier.
Death_Silence_66
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »

The Manta's two front energy hardpoints aren't that useful. If they were made some sort of hybrid mount they would have a lot more utility.
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »

The Manta's two front energy hardpoints aren't that useful. If they were made some sort of hybrid mount they would have a lot more utility.

Maybe, but it's designed to get most of its strength from its fighters - it's almost a pseudo-carrier. I have considered making them Composite mounts before (ballistic or missile), but it doesn't match the design so well. It's still fairly customizable, on a par with most similar stock ships, and I don't think it needs any more.

Still, don't forget we have things like Ion Cannons and Antimatter Blasters if you haven't tried those on it. And if you still don't find them useful, you can omit putting weapons there entirely and save the OP for more a more expensive fighter wing.

"I ain't one to punch first, but if the mil' wants a piece of me tonight, then they're sure as hell gonna regret it in the morning!"
- Johnson "Johnny" Parker
dk1332
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »

Slap 2 Ion cannons, IR Pulse lasers, or antimatter blasters, set them to alternate firing mode, give the 2 front and mid turrets with light or dual auto cannons, and give it piranhas/kopesh. Try that on Destroyers and Cruisers and tell us again how is it not useful.
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »

Slap 2 Ion cannons, IR Pulse lasers, or antimatter blasters, set them to alternate firing mode, give the 2 front and mid turrets with light or dual auto cannons, and give it piranhas/kopesh. Try that on Destroyers and Cruisers and tell us again how is it not useful.

Exactly. Wink There's a similar stock loadout for it with Ion Cannons, triple Dual ACs and Warthogs.

"I ain't one to punch first, but if the mil' wants a piece of me tonight, then they're sure as hell gonna regret it in the morning!"
Death_Silence_66
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

Tac lasers seem to be the best weapon, high utility and low OP cost.
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »

Tac lasers seem to be the best weapon, high utility and low OP cost.

Aye, can't go wrong with Tac Lasers.

AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »

Update: Version 0.4

Enjoy a couple of new ships, including the Discord-teased Seraph (C) light carrier, Prophecy MkII elite pirate frigate and Harrier "area denial" cruiser!

Check the OP for more details.

dk1332
Commander

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »

That new midline cruiser and that light carrier *drools*
Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »

Yay for high-tech carrier. (:
Death_Silence_66
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »

The Scimitar fighters are quite underpowered and not worth their OP cost. They have the same hull and only 30 more armor than the spark while having the same weapons. A spark wing has 3 more craft and has omni-shields, making them much better in a dogfight.

They should get a few buffs to make them competitive.

-More Hull and Armor, something like 450 hull and 65 armor

-Full 360 shield. This makes Flak weapons far less effective and makes them better distractions for bombers.

-Widen firing arcs. This should make them more effective dogfighters.

-Better weapons. A Heavy Burst Laser or a battery of PD lasers would makeup for their small wing size and allow them to threaten shielded frigates.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:36:25 AM by Death_Silence_66 » Logged
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 03:13:37 AM »

The Scimitar fighters are quite underpowered and not worth their OP cost. They have the same hull and only 30 more armor than the spark while having the same weapons. A spark wing has 3 more craft and has omni-shields, making them much better in a dogfight.

They should get a few buffs to make them competitive.

-More Hull and Armor, something like 450 hull and 65 armor

-Full 360 shield. This makes Flak weapons far less effective and makes them better distractions for bombers.

-Widen firing arcs. This should make them more effective dogfighters.

-Better weapons. A Heavy Burst Laser or a battery of PD lasers would makeup for their small wing size and allow them to threaten shielded frigates.

Awesome, thanks Death_Silence. I'd actually been struggling to come up with better weapon loadouts for the Scimitar to make them unique, useful but balanced, and these suggestions are really helpful.

Following that, forgive me for using your comment as a sounding board of sorts while I brainstorm a more refined concept:

Better hull wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to increase their armour. They're supposed to be high-tech, so I don't mind them being fragile. Conversely, a better shield like a 360 degree front shield would be a great boon and fit rather well.

Wider firing arcs will depend on what weapons they end up equipped with. However, a wider frontal arc of fire would almost certainly be a good balancing factor against their (relatively) low agility.

As for weapons, the Heavy Burst Laser had already occured to me, as had a pair of IR Pulse Lasers. However, a combination of PD weaponry may be more effective. A single HBL in a narrow forward turret (say, 30-45 degrees) would suffice as a primary, if backed up by secondary weapons or PD/anti fighter weaponry. Swarmers are on the table, although not desireable.

On later thought however, it could be worth creating a fighter-specific version of the Squall missile, which would place the Scimitar in a similar realm to that of the Broadsword: Not just distracting PD from bombers, but helping those bombers along by tearing up the target's shields a little first. That would require a little more work, and may be difficult to balance.

For now the HBL primary would satisfy me. I just need to decide on a good secondary.

Death_Silence_66
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »

HBL with 2 LRPDs in support would make it a nice interceptor.
AxleMC131
Admiral

Amateur World-Builder

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »

HBL with 2 LRPDs in support would make it a nice interceptor.

Perhaps, although I'd prefer it to be a proper heavy fighter for combatting warships.

The current iteration has a custom HBL that doesn't target missiles (since with the regular HBL it didn't like using it against ships and fighters) and a pair of regular PD lasers (facing backwards and sideways), as well as 360 shields and the decoy flare launcher.

cjusa
Captain

Missiles and Mecha, my boys. Missiles and Mecha

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »

I like the mini squall idea, kinda like the old Neriads from Shadowyards. Makes them a credible threat to larger ships, but not so powerful without support.

Very few problems can't be solved with gratuitous violence and epic explosions.

I am pro at Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker. Fight me.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Eagles and Falcons on fire off the L5 of Sindria. I watched Tachyon beams glitter in the dark near the Perseus Nebula...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: