Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help me love this game  (Read 7703 times)

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Help me love this game
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »

CR is really only a hassle when you're new to the game and dont know how to manage it yet.

1) There are certain skill specializations the player can take to minimize its impact.  If you want to engage in a lot of heavy combat, you need to select skills that make that an efficient behavior for you. There are a number of different ways to go about this, but the most straightforward is to simply spec into the combat tree to make the player ship strong, so you need to deploy fewer ships, and take fewer losses. In addition you could specialize in powerful carrier fleets, or industrial fleets that allow you to deploy and repair ships for reduced cost.

a.) There are also skills that drastically reduce the cost/length of repair, supply use, and fuel consumption, making upkeep a simpler matter to manage.

2) With greater player skill it ceases to be much of an issue, because you'll be better at winning combat more quickly, with less hull damage, and with fewer ships, enabling you to distribute CR costs among a smaller variety of ships.

3) Fielding fleets that are specialized for a specific purpose, rather than trying to do everything in the game at once with the same fleet is also an excellent way to keep costs down. Unless you are just fighting willy nilly in a war zone, on a typical mission run the most frequent you can expect combat encounters to be is one or two at a time, and it's really not difficult to field a fleet that is efficient for that purpose, and will be completely "healed" by the time the next combat occurs, without having to pay the upkeep on a bunch of ships that are not contributing to your combat effectiveness.

Otherwise, you must accept the reality that the game does not want you to be able to fight indefinitely, and running away from some battles you are not prepared for will be a necessity.  I did plenty of running away in M&B.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:37:05 PM by StarGibbon »

Eyeball

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »

Hey Mr. Eyeball, welcome!

I have to agree, in part, with some of the things You said. CR is currently a bit hefty for my taste, because in the current release there are few, or rather no, ways to mitigate CR cost. In the past there was an officer skill that reduced CR drain for deployment, but it's gone now. Keep in mind though, this is a work in progress, and the usual structure of how this game works is major update - hotfixing - minor updates within a few days or weeks to rebalance according to community feedback - a bit of a wait where mods are getting updated and added, many of which offer rebalances to change the gaming experience. Starsector is quite the gem, but it needs patience (or some Javoodoo skills...). Wait around a bit and things may change to Your liking, be it through official rebalancing or a mod.

Also, there is the settings.json file, which offers configuration options in plain text, to change quite a lot of things about the game to Your liking. Don't be daunted by the masses of options, just scroll through it until You find the (usually) simple lines affecting what You want to see changed. I seem to remember there was an area to config CR use... I would not drop it, but maybe lower it, if it bothers You.

Finally, the what's this ship doing in combat issue. Currently, this game does have a few interface quirks, which I assume are one of the few drawbacks of having a rather fiercely loyal community. Most of us know exactly what each weapon does and is supposed to do, and have known for years. Ships' layout is designed for a specific role, and we already know what weapon groups we'll be using during combat to do what exactly, just as we are aware of most AI-layouts and what exact role they are supposed to fill. It's a matter of experience, once the content starts to become less overwhelming. It would however make sense for newcomers to be able to see some basic info via an easily visible Icon during combat, mainly if it is kinetics, HE, frag, energy or beam damage, I agree with You. Alex (the dev) however seems to roam the forums quite often, and You might well see this as an interface improvement at some point. Just... yeah. Patience. Work in progress.
This post is exactly what I was referring to and I share the same concerns. I'm trying to hunt pirates for the reward money and generally do quite well, but the damage my ships take and the fact that I am not good enough to face enemy fleets without deploying all my own ships means that I'm pretty much spending the money I make hunting pirates on supplies again. This might be mainly an issue in the beginning of the game, but it is very offputting as a new player. I'd personally recommend supply price be reduced.

Camael precisely describes my wish for weapon icons - just tiny ones demonstrating the type of weapon and possibly special property, EMP and so on, such as this missile icon: https://image.freepik.com/free-icon/missile-weapon-silhouette-side-view_318-47235.jpg

Combat UI is a cluttered mess and the green text makes it all the harder to read. The "targeting recticle" info is also tiny and intrusive and could be much more gracefully displayed. I am personally hoping for the ability to edit the combat UI or alternatively some mods making it a bit more user-friendly.

The game most certainly seems pretty great though. Combat is elegant in how many different ship types and options there are and the AI is delightfully adept at surrounding my controlled ship if I get careless and turn my back on them.

Are there any mods recommended to get the best experience out of SS? I already run SS+, which is supposed to be a no-brainer. I am chiefly intersted in MORE CONTENT, such as more ships, weapons and pieces of equipment.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »

Are there any mods recommended to get the best experience out of SS? I already run SS+, which is supposed to be a no-brainer. I am chiefly intersted in MORE CONTENT, such as more ships, weapons and pieces of equipment.
there are tons of amazing faction mods that come with a lot of new ships, weapons, and places to go. however, most of them are not yet updated for the latest vanilla version. of the currently compatible ones, the best ones are probably Diable Avionics, Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority, and Outer Rim Alliance. there are quite a few more, but these three have the highest quality sprites, best balance to fit in with vanilla, etc.

you should also pick up Version Checker, if you haven't already, which can help you avoid future compatibility issues.

other mods i'd recommend are Autosave (it doesn't actually autosave by default, but it reminds you to save if you haven't in a while), Combat Chatter, Lightshow (make sure to enable only the SS+ version), and Unknown Skies.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

Make sure you're pirate hunting in systems with bounties. The implications of the games mechanics are that hunting pirates isn't profitable on its own, and that's why there are pirates. As long as you're in a system with a bounty (open the Intel log & check the bounties tab) and you're scoring kills, you should be turning a profit no matter how much damage you take, short of dying
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »

Once it's updated to function with current game version 0.8a, the (link) Ship and Weapons Pack mod would be perfect for you.
It's another mod by Dark.Revenant (the creator of Starsector +), so you can rest assured it's a quality project. The Version Checker mod mentioned above will let you know once S&WP has been made compatible.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »

Once it's updated to function with current game version 0.8a, the (link) Ship and Weapons Pack mod would be perfect for you.
agreed, and same goes for Underworld, although that one also comes with a potential increase in difficulty.

but sadly, it's unlikely that DR's other mods will be updated soon, as he's rather busy with more important stuff than modding. he said he'll probably release them all together some time after v0.8.1. i assume that also includes Imperium and Templars, unless Cycerin decides to update the latter by himself once he's done Blackrock.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 03:23:46 AM »

Imperium has been released actually
Edit: And Templars as well, although I would not suggest them to a noob
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:57:44 AM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »

Make sure you're pirate hunting in systems with bounties. The implications of the games mechanics are that hunting pirates isn't profitable on its own, and that's why there are pirates. As long as you're in a system with a bounty (open the Intel log & check the bounties tab) and you're scoring kills, you should be turning a profit no matter how much damage you take, short of dying
Right, with .8a you have to be completely optimized for resource recovery to make a profit bounty-hunting on merely a commission.

That is: Safety Procedures 3, Recovery Operations 3, Field Repairs 3, Navigation 2, Fleet Logistics 1.  If you have all of these skills, then it's easy to regain more supplies and fuel than you use on the smaller fights and you shouldn't be down more than 20-ish supplies after recovery on the larger ones.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »

Imperium has been released actually
Edit: And Templars as well, although I would not suggest them to a noob
haha, yeah! both Imperium and Templars were updated just a couple hours after my post... makes me look rather silly now, but i'm not complaining. ^_^

and DME as well. :D

@Eyeball: since they both got updated today, i also suggest Interstellar Imperium and Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering as additional faction mods.

it's probably a good idea to not install too many of these right away though, since the additions can get a bit overwhelming for someone who isn't even entirely familiar with all vanilla has to offer yet. plus, if you don't use all of them right away, you'll still have new stuff to discover in future campaign runs (although there are still several other high-quality mods that will likely be updated in the near future).

once you feel you have a good understanding of the game and its combat, and can take on enemy forces much larger than your own without frequent losses, Templars also provides amazing new content. but they're intentionally designed as a 'boss faction', mostly as a challenging enemy to experienced players and/or very powerful end-game player fleets.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 07:58:11 AM »

Eyeball you've correctly identified a couple issues with the game. The UI is substandard and needs a major working-over. CR is also messed up, and necessitated by a failure to otherwise balance things or accept emergent forms of combat. Though some kind of stamina stat is necessary, it is way too complex and used as a bludgeon any time there is a balance problem, or any time the gameplay starts emergently deviating from the desired goal. It would be better simplified as some kind of ship energy reactor level or something.

So the UI might improve, but as others have said, the whole design of the game has become too dependent on CR for it to go away. It's up to you to decide whether you can enjoy the starsector for what it is- an interesting game with some significant flaws.
Pages: 1 [2]