Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cursor bug  (Read 2267 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Cursor bug
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »

I noticed a bug with Starsector today. I'm unusual in that I use my Windows taskbar on the left side of the screen, not the bottom as is usual. (I find that vertical screenspace is more valuable than horizontal, and then widescreens have less of the former in the first place.) So, when I bring the mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen, it turns into the Windows cursor and if I click something there, it brings me to Windows and minimises the game. I have to take it pretty far to the left (like, within a few centimetres of the edge) of the screen before it happens and bringing the cursor back towards the centre of the screen will reset it, but afterwards it will happen several times further away from the edge until I change the view (say, by opening up the Intel view for instance) whereupon the cursor resets to the Starsector cursor and the range in which it turns back to the Windows cursor becomes just a few centimetres again.

I have a GeForce 970 with drivers only a few days old and am using Windows 10.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cursor bug
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

Is this happening in fullscreen mode, or only in the undecorated-windowed mode you get when using the full screen resolution but leaving "fullscreen" unchecked?

Either way, though, this is definitely a windows bug.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »

It was fullscreen mode.

I tried borderless window mode, and the symptoms were slightly different: rather than minimising the game, I just got the taskbar appearing over the game instead.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »

I remember this happening on Linux a while back, iirc there the solution was changing some of the options for the task bar equivalent (unchecking something like "always on top" or similar). Not sure if it's applicable to windows, of course.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

Doesn't seem like the options in the taskbar settings view have an effect on this.

Oh, well, it's not a fatal problem - I don't think it happens in combat mode and there's rarely a need to click anything that far left on the other screens, and I'm usually paused doing stuff so it shouldn't be a huge issue if I drop to Windows for a moment. And I played the game for a fair while before this ever came up.