Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dissapointing Economy  (Read 4251 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Dissapointing Economy
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »

Am the only one dissapointed?

I played Ironcalds so long that I though that all the commodities from that mod are core. Imagine my surprise when the market is so small and dead.
No electronics.
No medical supplies.
No ship components.
No weapon components.

No making a medicine run when a colony gets hit with a plague/virus or suffers a planetary attack.

The economy/trading layer should really use more work. :(

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dissapointing Economy
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »

I think trading isn't gonna come into its own unless the Outposts are also in.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »

Of all the things the number of commodities is what bothers you most? What I want from the economy is to be able to participate in it, as an active power, not a cog in the machine. When you try to establish your own markets, secure raw material for them and try to export their produce, when you try to boot out a competitor or ally with another, when your decisions can starve or elevate whole planets - then, I believe, comes the time to say if the economy is disappointing or not.

Having more commodities is relatively trivial in comparison.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »

Variety helps with the RP aspect, too, and it's not a big deal to add more. Real time reactive markets are a game system all on their own.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »

Of all the things the number of commodities is what bothers you most? What I want from the economy is to be able to participate in it, as an active power, not a cog in the machine. When you try to establish your own markets, secure raw material for them and try to export their produce, when you try to boot out a competitor or ally with another, when your decisions can starve or elevate whole planets - then, I believe, comes the time to say if the economy is disappointing or not.

Not just a matter of commodities, but their interaction and interplay + new events that drive that economy.

Example - ship components require electronics and metals, so a planet that produces ship component will require 2-3 resource to be delivered. More interconnections reliance means you can create shortage by targeting one resource - for example, electronics. If you keep intercepting electronics shipments, then there's shortage of ship components.
But shipyards require ship components. Now ship prices are going up and the faction replacesl sot ships slower.

I don't notices that resource production is tied to anything ATM (thus, no point in trying to starve anyone)

DeltaV_11.2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »

Not just a matter of commodities, but their interaction and interplay + new events that drive that economy.

Example - ship components require electronics and metals, so a planet that produces ship component will require 2-3 resource to be delivered. More interconnections reliance means you can create shortage by targeting one resource - for example, electronics. If you keep intercepting electronics shipments, then there's shortage of ship components.
But shipyards require ship components. Now ship prices are going up and the faction replacesl sot ships slower.

I don't notices that resource production is tied to anything ATM (thus, no point in trying to starve anyone)
That isn't the case though? Resource production is tied to the fulfillment of market demands for the precursors to the good, defined in the various market condition implementations. The equation by which this happens is kind of complicated, but if for instance an Autofac has only .25 of one of its demanded goods and 0.75 of its overall demand, it produces 0.58 of its normal production.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »

This.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »

I hope this is somewhat on topic, and I didn't want to make a new thread, but I found myself eyeing the stability number on a low stability world and kinda wishing it would go up a bit due to my excess legit open market trading.

Even buying up everything in the entire market won't do anything to the number.  :(

(edit) oh I just read it actually does do something, but its very slow and not very noticable?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:53:13 PM by tchan »

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:02 AM »

Part of the problem is that the economy does affect itself (with prices and such) but nothing else. Starving a planet means it will produce less of the commodity it produces. But planets just still create the same ships and fleets. It just ends up not being worth the effort to starve a planet, when you could do other things to the economy. (Such as dumping a ton of goods on the black market, crashing the stability to 0, then buying back everything for less than you sold it for... doesn't work in 0.8 currently due to trade features being disabled, but worked in previous versions)