Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.8a-RC19] Mission Object Cannot Be Found in System  (Read 1707 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.8a-RC19] Mission Object Cannot Be Found in System
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »

I took a mission to run a analystic package on a derelict ship in one of the far out systems (Ipos).

Yet there doesn't seem to be a derelict ship there at all.

In fact I remember this mission quite well because this is the third time I took this mission to search for something in the Ipos system. The first time was the exact same mission object, a derelict ship as well.

Could it be the case that one of the AI salvaging fleets junked it during the first time and the game still thinks it exists?

I had something like this happen as well in another system. I was tasked to run the package on an orbital habitat, which I found, yet the option to run the diagnostic equipment did not show up as an option.

All three times I cheated within the last 40 days by setting my base sensor range into 30000 and doing wide loops around the system yet nothing resembling the marks show up.

Both times the rough location stated that it was "at the heart of Ipos". Perhaps it was in the sun :O?!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:44:09 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a-RC19] Mission Object Cannot Be Found in System
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 01:49:01 AM »

I have encountered a similar issue in a binary star system, the mission briefing said it was in the heart as well. The stars were pretty close together so  I assume the mission object was spawned into one of the stars

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

Just sorta backing this up.  Sorta.

Having dug through the api about this earlier, the issue isn't that it's not generating the ship or that the ship has been grabbed by the AI already, since the vanilla AI cannot (as far as I know) do this.  Rather the error seems to be in the breadcrumb rangefinder.

Just to give an example of what I mean, here's my most recent mission:

Having looked through the mission hint system, if an object you're supposed to investigate isn't orbiting anything else, the system is supposed to give you vague hints based on the objects proximity to the star.  Something in the "Heart of the System" should be within 5000 units of the center.  On the system map, each grid square is 2000 x 2000, so the derelict I was looking for should be within the circled area plus, I presume, some wiggle room to account for the stars size.  As you can see though it's kinda not.

I suppose it's possible that this could be the result of a mod messing things up some, but the only one I can think of that might cause this issue would be Tartiflette's Unknown Skies, and I have no idea how it would do that since right now all it does is add a bunch of different backgrounds and planet types.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

Thank you - yeah, you're right. Actually fixed this... two days ago, I think? There was a case where "in the heart" was based on distance from the orbit focus rather than the distance to the center of the system. In the case from your screenshot, the orbit focus is probably that asteroid field, and it's thinking it's "in the heart" because it's close to that.