Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How should the star systems be distributed in the campaign map?

Cluster in the outskirts (current - check screenshot in spoilers)
- 12 (75%)
Spread around the core systems
- 1 (6.3%)
Spread all over the place
- 2 (12.5%)
Other? Leave a comment!
- 1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: [0.9] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.11.0 (2019/10/15) - The Murderous Wedges  (Read 211088 times)

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.0 EXPERIMENTAL (2018/03/13)
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:48 PM »

oh i wasn't gonna be harsh, i thought i'd just post my initial observations on stuff on the off chance they'd help

Spoiler
  • nearly every market added in this mod is a military market, it feels a little too convenient or w/e compared to vanilla and most other mods where military markets are in the minority
  • the systems themselves feel pretty empty since all of them have only 1 market each, this also makes the start of a save pretty rough as it limits your options for missions a lot. the FDS systems are also far enough outside the inhabited 'bubble' that you don't get alerted to bounties and other events
  • some of the ships don't seem to have thruster sounds
  • the focus on numerous small and med mounts has some potential for imbalance when combined with other mod weapons, though that probably shouldn't be a factor when balancing this.
  • the names of some stuff should probably be changed, there's already a torment class destroyer in the arsenal expansion mod, and the single hephaestus could use a slightly differing name from the vanilla hephaestus just to make them stand apart from each other. 

i haven't done a lot of testing so i don't have a whole lot of advice to give in terms of balancing, though there are some things i noticed

• the obedience class tanker is really cheap for what it provides. it costs less than a dram while having 2/3rds the fuel capacity of a prometheus
  • the chaingun needler seems really really strong. it costs 5 less op than the heavy needler while putting out nearly the same amount of dps at a fairly similar range. it also doesn't seem to generate a lot of flux when firing, i had two of them on an agony mk2 and 480 flux dissipation was enough to negate the flux from firing them entirely. its sound is also a bit odd but that's just personal preference
  • having limited ammunition on ballistic weapons feels a bit odd now that this isn't the norm in vanilla
  • the torture and terror have too many fighter bays for how good they are as front line combat ships. they have more fighter bays than the legion while having a stronger offensive capability. im not really sure what would be a good number of bays to aim for without just neutering them completely though.
  • the gravity well projector and hyperspace jump probably need some kind of limitations, both are really powerful given they can be used indefinitely. the rage can chase down pretty much any ship in the game despite being a battleship. both are really cool systems and i hope the rest of the ships get similarly unique abilities
  • the hydra torpedo has really long flight time, its almost comparable to an LRM.

i don't have much experience with sprite work so take my criticism of it with a grain of salt, i'm pretty much just voicing my opinions lol. overall i like the ship designs a lot, its hard to go wrong with star wars ships

right now i don't think the faction really has its own visual identity due to the lack of color aside from beige. the star destroyer shaped ships are distinct but everything else kinda blends together with vanilla midtech. some sort of faction defining color/s might go a long way for making the ships stand out from everything else.

i have mixed feelings about the segmented/paneled style, it looks alright in some places but otherwise it just kinda feels like filler in place of actual detailing. if anything i'd suggest making it stand out less, right now most of the ships are a bit noisy visually. if you look at something like the eagle it has similar lines that break up the hull, but they're a lot more subtle and less uniform.
[close]

i hope this isn't too big of a text wall, i probably forgot some stuff cause i keep zoning out and getting distracted actually playing starsector lol

also i keep encountering a crash whenever i try to visit naboo. lmk if you need more of it, it was super long but i figured this was the only real useful part of it.
Spoiler
811153 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [graphics/backgrounds/background2s.jpg]
[close]

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.0 EXPERIMENTAL (2018/03/13)
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2018, 02:48:22 AM »

oh i wasn't gonna be harsh, i thought i'd just post my initial observations on stuff on the off chance they'd help

Spoiler
  • nearly every market added in this mod is a military market, it feels a little too convenient or w/e compared to vanilla and most other mods where military markets are in the minority
  • the systems themselves feel pretty empty since all of them have only 1 market each, this also makes the start of a save pretty rough as it limits your options for missions a lot. the FDS systems are also far enough outside the inhabited 'bubble' that you don't get alerted to bounties and other events
  • some of the ships don't seem to have thruster sounds
  • the focus on numerous small and med mounts has some potential for imbalance when combined with other mod weapons, though that probably shouldn't be a factor when balancing this.
  • the names of some stuff should probably be changed, there's already a torment class destroyer in the arsenal expansion mod, and the single hephaestus could use a slightly differing name from the vanilla hephaestus just to make them stand apart from each other.  

i haven't done a lot of testing so i don't have a whole lot of advice to give in terms of balancing, though there are some things i noticed

• the obedience class tanker is really cheap for what it provides. it costs less than a dram while having 2/3rds the fuel capacity of a prometheus
  • the chaingun needler seems really really strong. it costs 5 less op than the heavy needler while putting out nearly the same amount of dps at a fairly similar range. it also doesn't seem to generate a lot of flux when firing, i had two of them on an agony mk2 and 480 flux dissipation was enough to negate the flux from firing them entirely. its sound is also a bit odd but that's just personal preference
  • having limited ammunition on ballistic weapons feels a bit odd now that this isn't the norm in vanilla
  • the torture and terror have too many fighter bays for how good they are as front line combat ships. they have more fighter bays than the legion while having a stronger offensive capability. im not really sure what would be a good number of bays to aim for without just neutering them completely though.
  • the gravity well projector and hyperspace jump probably need some kind of limitations, both are really powerful given they can be used indefinitely. the rage can chase down pretty much any ship in the game despite being a battleship. both are really cool systems and i hope the rest of the ships get similarly unique abilities
  • the hydra torpedo has really long flight time, its almost comparable to an LRM.

i don't have much experience with sprite work so take my criticism of it with a grain of salt, i'm pretty much just voicing my opinions lol. overall i like the ship designs a lot, its hard to go wrong with star wars ships

right now i don't think the faction really has its own visual identity due to the lack of color aside from beige. the star destroyer shaped ships are distinct but everything else kinda blends together with vanilla midtech. some sort of faction defining color/s might go a long way for making the ships stand out from everything else.

i have mixed feelings about the segmented/paneled style, it looks alright in some places but otherwise it just kinda feels like filler in place of actual detailing. if anything i'd suggest making it stand out less, right now most of the ships are a bit noisy visually. if you look at something like the eagle it has similar lines that break up the hull, but they're a lot more subtle and less uniform.
[close]

i hope this isn't too big of a text wall, i probably forgot some stuff cause i keep zoning out and getting distracted actually playing starsector lol

also i keep encountering a crash whenever i try to visit naboo. lmk if you need more of it, it was super long but i figured this was the only real useful part of it.
Spoiler
811153 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [graphics/backgrounds/background2s.jpg]
[close]

Thanks for the feedback, and also for posting that log line, makes things go much faster!

I can't promise when all those issues will be fixed, but I'll try to fix them as soon as possible.

Also,
"some of the ships don't seem to have thruster sounds"
Do you remember which ship(s) or ship types have this issue?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:56:55 AM by joaonunes »

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.1 WIP (2018/03/13)
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »

Is this nexralin compatable?
May the fry be with you.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.1 WIP (2018/03/13)
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 11:20:41 AM »

Is this nexralin compatable?

Yes it is, but you wont see the custom planets in the random mode though

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.1 WIP (2018/03/16)
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, and also for posting that log line, makes things go much faster!

I can't promise when all those issues will be fixed, but I'll try to fix them as soon as possible.

Also,
"some of the ships don't seem to have thruster sounds"
Do you remember which ship(s) or ship types have this issue?

oh no take your time lol, there's no rush.

i think i misidentified low volume engine sounds as just being absent entirely, i usually play starsector with the volume at 15-30% but i can hear most other ships engines. the engine sounds in this mod just seem really quiet in comparison, for example even with the volume at 100% i can barely hear the atonements thrusters firing. same goes for the rancour, affliction, and basically all the frigates. if anything they could all probably be raised across the board but it's a really minor thing.

some more balance/other stuff i've noticed while playing. i'll probably just keep posting stuff as i play cause its a bit difficult to test everything all at once

Spoiler
  • the cooldown on the hydra torpedoes is really short, they can create missile death-balls really fast and given how much damage they do it's really powerful.
  • the imperial blaster seems really powerful for a medium energy weapon, i'd suggest raising its op cost a bit because 14 is pretty cheap for a 726 dps weapon with no real downsides other than flux generation.
  • the rancour mk1 seems really fast for a destroyer, there's only a few destroyers comparable to it and most are really high end ships. it's faster than a lot of frigates as well.
    after playing with it for a few hours it actually feels pretty good given how flimsy the ship is otherwise. it might still be a little fast but its not as unbalanced as i thought it was.
  • every ship has a 1.0 efficiency omni shield. not really a balance thing just a little repetitive.
  • the reaper torpedoes on the hound bombers are a bit confusing since they don't behave the same as vanilla reapers despite appearing really similar.
  • the tali mrm and tali lrm are a little confusing since they have the same name while serving different roles
  • the rancours missile mounts aren't centered on the mounts on the ships sprite
[close]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:40:40 PM by Kwbr »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.1 WIP (2018/03/16)
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »

Well...Things have changed style wise. I'm going to say things literally as I see/experience them. Probably isn't the best way to do this, but I will end up forgetting what I want to say if I don't do it this way so...Yeah.

Also the comments up to the Battlestation will be me going by memory rather than typing it as it happened. I decided to do this a little late.
Spoiler
-(In the Missions. Used it to get a first look at some ships.)-
Ooohh okay this is not the Star Wars mod I expected...Now these are some cool looking ships!

-(In the Refit menu. Started with a Shame class, an Anguish, and a Grief mk-II. Bought another Shame and a Agony mk-III. I intend to go Carrier heavy as I don't normally play Carriers.)-
Oh...Well darn it. None of these ships have a pre-set Outfit option?!...Oh well, I'll guess on what to give them.

-(In space now. From this point forward things are as I experience them.)-
Oh a Golan I AND a Golan III?...And an Asgard. Well...That's a thing. Now I wanna fight Golan's. I also wonder if it's possible to have Multiple types of defense stations that spawn.

-(First battle against Luddic's right as I leave the system)-
Well...My fighters SUCK against fast targets. Note to self: Do not send fast craft against frigates...

-(Gets into the Yavin system)-
Yavin...Sucks that there are no Enemies to fight. Would like more pirates ti be nearby.

-(Gets an Agony)-
Darn it no outfits on this either...

-(Second battle, this time vs a bounty)-
Mmm...Hydra's move so slowly. I need to get a faster missile equipped...

-(Buys a Regret and Two Sorrows after almost losing the Piloted Shame at Doc)-
Okay. Note to self: Just because a Hyrda moves slowly, does not mean they can't easily kill you.
[close]

Important notes for this comment:
1: Ships (At least some) don't have at least one outfit option in the Refit screen.

2: Asgard defense stations spawn at defense Station points. Possible area to expand on in future via Golan platforms.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.2.1 WIP (2018/03/20)
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »

Forgot to mention the mod was updated yesterday, you can see the ALL the changes in the changelog.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.3.0 WIP (2018/03/23)
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »

Another update!
Some weapons were tweaked, names changed, new ship added, some mroe ship tweaks... All changes available in the changelog!

gun&drink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.3.1 WIP (2018/03/30)
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2018, 04:46:52 AM »

I'm gonna give a good run to the whole mod soon, but before that I just want to say that the hyperspace jump active system scared she crap out of me the first time I used it, well done
just out of curiosity, does the AI know how to use it?

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »

I'm gonna give a good run to the whole mod soon, but before that I just want to say that the hyperspace jump active system scared she crap out of me the first time I used it, well done
just out of curiosity, does the AI know how to use it?

There is a custom AI for that system, you can see it in use in the custom mission with two Rage battleships. The AI only uses it to engage at long ranges, over 2000 su

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »

I haven't look at this mod for a while, mostly because of the rambling about SW. Must say the sprite are really nice in the sense they are SW-ish, but still looks like some of the vanilla sprites. I will give it a go, just for unleashing broadside of missiles!

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »

Love the uniform styling on each class. The little variations between them, in each class, is very tidy and it really soothes my soul. I can see myself playing with these quite often.

Best of luck with future updates! ;)

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »

Dang! Those designs are awesome! Keep it up my dude.
Hello!

gun&drink

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.4.1 WIP (2018/04/10)
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »

After a full run of this mod I feel like I can give a fairly good overview on it
First, the good:
-I like the spritework, could use some work in some areas but so far I love most if not all ships
-as far as ships go, they seemed fairly balanced and had a unique role to fulfill (with some exceptions) within the fleet, which is really nice and not something that I see with every mod. I had tons of fun from bravely fighting remnants with the Loyalty to absolute domination with the Terror, and things like the Rage active system give a ton of possibilities, with broadside warfare being a new favorite of mine from now on. If you ever consider it, do a IBB Bounty for the Ships and weapon pack go for it, there's tons of potential in here
-very good sound choices, which is often unappreciated with this kind of things

The Meh (not really sure if bad or not that bad or it's me misunderstanding things):
-the gravity well active system needs either some big weakness (maybe the moment the ship goes past certain flux limit or receives some decent damage it automatically deactivates) or some time limit per use. I love the idea, I really do, but as it is right now it's a really cheap way to invalidate an entire fleet of frigates
-The Loyalty sprite looks a bit ugly when damaged:

-Right now there's no dedicated, big carrier in the entire catalog of ships. It specially hurts because the fighters are so damn nice, and some cost their fair cost in OP, so justifying the investment in hullmods and a dedicated carrier officer when you are going to be using 2 bays at best seems a little underwhelming. Reading previous posts I learned that the Terror had +4 fighter bays in the past, and while I do agree that it needed to be balanced some ship in the fleet needs to take that place, even if it's at the cost of firepower
Unless you were going for a kind of battle doctrine that doesn't like to put all the eggs in the same bag, then I can understand why so many battlecarriers and no actual carrier
-the hullmods didn't really give me that much
-the Submission claims to be a freighter in the description, but it's labeled as a cruiser
-Remnant dagger and Council spear are pushing it a little with flux efficiency, but it's kinda justified due to OP cost and slow firing rate. more about OP cost below
-some of the battleships could use an slight paint job to distinguish them. nothing too brutal, but some simple differentiation that can give me a better idea of what am I deploying or what is different of what when someone is not that familiar with the mod and the similar silhouettes confuse you
>I'm pretty sure that the AI doesn't use hyperspace jump for retreat, which is a shame because that's awfully useful

The not so good:
-as a general criticism to weaponry, a big chunk of the weapons in the mod tend to go for really high OP cost which I find hard to justify,specially with the medium energy weapons(which is a big deal when there are so many medium slots in the ships). to put a pair of examples, the heavy beam(which is a neat idea and I can see that you actually took some time to balance it based in the graviton beam) is indeed an improvement from the graviton beam, but 14 OP seems a bit too much of an increase when the weapon itself already pays the price with range and efficiency. and while the Remnant dagger is a neat weapon too, 18 OP is really pushing into Large slot OP cost. I have only seen medium weapons reach that cost with Templars, and that's supposed to be a boss faction really.
This inflation in OP points for medium weapons makes outfitting cruisers and battleships with the same mod weapons a bit awkward, specially if you want to pair them with Council Spears in the Terror.
-I really, really struggle to see some use to the heavy battery blaster/autoblaster weapons. it's pretty hard to get into range with them, and when you do, something feels... wrong. I see the numbers and they shouldn't be this hard to make use of, but I feel like I'm paying an stupid amount of flux cost and OP for it. on top of this they feel like you are changing very little besides the color of the projectiles.I noticed then that I couldn't find any energy weapons with explosive damage in this mod, so one possible solution to this could be giving them a different damage tipe so that they can complement each other and have a better role. also the dual autoblaster canon inherits part of these problems, while the quad battery doesn't for the simple fact that it's dirty cheap for a large weapon slot (only 4 more than the medium version, which again puts into perspective the medium weapon OP inflation I talked about) and it's more efficient that their medium counterparts, so I could see some use for it at least.
-hydra torpedoes struggle with any amount of PD. they need either more hitpoints, or more ammo. they are fine in the bomber version, but any decent distance and some minimal PD makes them useless

In any case don't give up with this mod, just for those active systems alone I'll have it as a regular in my runs from now on
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:16:03 PM by gundrik »

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.4.1 WIP (2018/04/10)
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »

After a full run of this mod I feel like I can give a fairly good overview on it
First, the good:
-I like the spritework, could use some work in some areas but so far I love most if not all ships
-as far as ships go, they seemed fairly balanced and had a unique role to fulfill (with some exceptions) within the fleet, which is really nice and not something that I see with every mod. I had tons of fun from bravely fighting remnants with the Loyalty to absolute domination with the Terror, and things like the Rage active system give a ton of possibilities, with broadside warfare being a new favorite of mine from now on. If you ever consider it, do a IBB Bounty for the Ships and weapon pack go for it, there's tons of potential in here
-very good sound choices, which is often unappreciated with this kind of things

First of all, thanks for your feedback, I see you took the time to write all this down and I appreciate it, like I have already said countless times, I do enjoy listening to other people's feedback since that is what really helps me put all this together to amke something you (the players) will enjoy.

The sprite work is not mine, all credits should go to MrDavidoff. I am using his sprites with his permission as placeholders to replace the old (in)famous 2k long pixel ships and I do plan on reworking all the current sprites, even if only a simple polish.

Regarding ship balancing, All ships have been through loads of stat changes, you can look at the changelogs for yourself, and before I even released the first version of this mod further work has been done to put most ship stats to a "decent" level with further tweaking after release thanks to the feedback of some Discord users ;)

I have considered making an IBB ship several times, I even have a couple of sprites reserved for that/those ship(s), although that is not quite a priority at the moment and I will have to discuss further details with someone, possibly SWP's creator, to know exactly what are the needs and work that needs to be done.

Again, most of the sound files are also from MrDavidoff, although I have pulled some from other Star Wars based mods like the one mentioned in the credits section. And no, sound is not "unappreciated", at least not for Starsector. Just ask literally anyone what is their opinion on Blackrock's sound quality and you'll see what I mean.

The Meh (not really sure if bad or not that bad or it's me misunderstanding things):
-the gravity well active system needs either some big weakness (maybe the moment the ship goes past certain flux limit or receives some decent damage it automatically deactivates) or some time limit per use. I love the idea, I really do, but as it is right now it's a really cheap way to invalidate an entire fleet of frigates
-The Loyalty sprite looks a bit ugly when damaged:
*snip image*
-Right now there's no dedicated, big carrier in the entire catalog of ships. It specially hurts because the fighters are so damn nice, and some cost their fair cost in OP, so justifying the investment in hullmods and a dedicated carrier officer when you are going to be using 2 bays at best seems a little underwhelming. Reading previous posts I learned that the Terror had +4 fighter bays in the past, and while I do agree that it needed to be balanced some ship in the fleet needs to take that place, even if it's at the cost of firepower
Unless you were going for a kind of battle doctrine that doesn't like to put all the eggs in the same bag, then I can understand why so many battlecarriers and no actual carrier
-the hullmods didn't really give me that much
-the Submission claims to be a freighter in the description, but it's labeled as a cruiser
-Remnant dagger and Council spear are pushing it a little with flux efficiency, but it's kinda justified due to OP cost and slow firing rate. more about OP cost below
-some of the battleships could use an slight paint job to distinguish them. nothing too brutal, but some simple differentiation that can give me a better idea of what am I deploying or what is different of what when someone is not that familiar with the mod and the similar silhouettes confuse you

I have tried balancing the Gravity Well with a value of flux generated per second to limit the time the system can effectively stay active, but the ship is already quite vulnerable as 20% of the ship's flux capacity is automatically filled with hard flux, the ship can't vent while the system is active and it takes 30 seconds both to reach full power and to finish the cooldown, not to mention decreased shield efficiency while the system is active (unless I switched something and it actually buffs the shields, need to test it carefully). Other than that I have tried to make the ship more of a support ship with stats comparable in some levels to cargo ships or combat freighters, and code restrictions to prevent multiple ships to deploy their system simultaneously when there should only be one active at a time, both to prevent a null-area over a given region and to prevent performance issues.

The ugly sprites when damaged are not really an issue that only affects the Loyalty, and that may be due to a number of reasons, one of them possibly the excessive amount of greebles in all ships making the damage sprites even more noisier. I will see what I can do about that...

The Terror had 7 bays in the past, so you have seen nothing ::)
But yeah, the lack of a carrier is damaging the faction as a whole because some ships have 1-2 wings but nothing over that. This problem only exists because I am using sprites that are not mine and I have failed to find a proper carrier sprite from the collection that was given to me. This is definitely an issue to be fixed in the future because I really would like this faction to have more fighter power.
Ohh and fighters will be balanced someday, its another item in my TODO bucket.

The doctrine for the ships is still being considered and drafted. A valid choice would be heavy slow battleships and cruisers and fast frigates, destroyers and fighters, as it would fit the current lore, but this is also an item in my TODO bucket, which is starting to turn into a barrel.

The hullmods should be only two, one of them built-in in the Rancour, which I consider to be quite powerful as it is. It allows the ship to move with the 0-flux boost at up to 20% flux, 4 times what vanilla gives you through a skill iirc. The other is a mod that decreases repair time by 50% and the time the ship remains disabled by 10%, which should quite powerful as well.
More hullmods would certainly spice things up, and maybe even add a faction-wide hullmod similar to Neutrino's to give the ships some special effect, but that has to be analysed first.

The descriptions are a work in progress, as all the mod is in fact. At first the Submission was supposed to be a large combat freighter with a dedicated combat sibling, the Remorse, which has been removed in the previous update. They both are cruiser sized, it might have been a lapse when naming/labeling the ships, thanks for pointing that out.

The ships should be easier to distinguish right now. As of v0.4.0 there should only be two battleships, one of them with fighter wings, and two dreadnaughts, one of which is currently only available in a custom mission. Before this update that problem was severe, and still is, but now it should only really be a problem for fighters and frigates, which still have some "duplicates". Were you referring to the Hatred/Suffering or to some other ship(s)?

The not so good:
-as a general criticism to weaponry, a big chunk of the weapons in the mod tend to go for really high OP cost which I find hard to justify,specially with the medium energy weapons(which is a big deal when there are so many medium slots in the ships). to put a pair of examples, the heavy beam(which is a neat idea and I can see that you actually took some time to balance it based in the graviton beam) is indeed an improvement from the graviton beam, but 14 OP seems a bit too much of an increase when the weapon itself already pays the price with range and efficiency. and while the Remnant dagger is a neat weapon too, 18 OP is really pushing into Large slot OP cost. I have only seen medium weapons reach that cost with Templars, and that's supposed to be a boss faction really.
This inflation in OP points for medium weapons makes outfitting cruisers and battleships with the same mod weapons a bit awkward, specially if you want to pair them with Council Spears in the Terror.
-I really, really struggle to see some use to the heavy battery blaster/autoblaster weapons. it's pretty hard to get into range with them, and when you do, something feels... wrong. I see the numbers and they shouldn't be this hard to make use of, but I feel like I'm paying an stupid amount of flux cost and OP for it. on top of this they feel like you are changing very little besides the color of the projectiles.I noticed then that I couldn't find any energy weapons with explosive damage in this mod, so one possible solution to this could be giving them a different damage time so that they can complement each other and have a better role. also the dual autoblaster canon inherits part of these problems, while the quad battery doesn't for the simple fact that it's dirty cheap for a large weapon slot (only 4 more than the medium version, which again puts into perspective the medium weapon OP inflation I talked about) and it's more efficient that their medium counterparts, so I could see some use for it at least.
-hydra torpedoes struggle with any amount of PD. they need either more hitpoints, or more ammo. they are fine in the bomber version, but any decent distance and some minimal PD makes them useless

Ahh, weapons.... One update almost entirely dedicated to weapon balancing, but mostly targeting damage and flux values. The actual market price and OP cost still needs tweaking, obviously, and like with the ships many weapons were also removed in v0.4.0 as they weren't really adding anything different to the game. Needless to say, there will still be changes to most weapons.

In any case don't give up with this mod, just for those active systems alone I'll have it as a regular in my runs from now on

Once again, thanks for all the feedback! I really want to make a mod that people will enjoy, and leaving a "Star Wars" mod left to oblivion again like many other did is not in my plans, progress may be slow but I want to see this mod stand in the Mod Index some day, once it has reached a proper level of balance and content.

Edit:
I do suggest that you update the mod, a closer look at the screenshot and I quickly see that you must still be using v0.3, that may fix the similar ships a bit ::)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18