Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How should the star systems be distributed in the campaign map?

Cluster in the outskirts (current - check screenshot in spoilers)
- 12 (75%)
Spread around the core systems
- 1 (6.3%)
Spread all over the place
- 2 (12.5%)
Other? Leave a comment!
- 1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: [0.9] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.11.0 (2019/10/15) - The Murderous Wedges  (Read 211081 times)

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Star Wars Rebalanced v0.5.1 (04/06/2017)
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 01:31:16 AM »

Well good to know you know about the balance. But about the weapons: most are underpowered for frigates and destroyer fights, but the cruisers lasers (coughVenatorcough) are quite powerful, and the caps can be unstoppable if you are willing to sacrifice smaller ships...Missiles and torps are a different story. I never thought those things could be so terrifying...And that's good. At least it's a rapid and massive pain vs the slow pain of ten million harpoons coming at your venting Onslaught from SEEMINGLY EVERY CORNER OF THE BLOODY MAP.
Trust me when I say the missiles are not nearly as scary as they once were...
Lets just say a single wing of tie bombers could almost destroy a capital ship by itself, and I mean a capital with 0 hard flux and raised shields...

As for sprites, I'd say just making them smaller (and not take up half the space on the Combat Radar...LOOKING AT YOU HOME ONE AND ALLEGIANCE!) and they would be fine. Yeah the Venator could do with a bit more detail, yeah the Nebulon-B could use a little editting here and there (though it and the CR-90 actually look pretty good!), but over all the LOOK fine. It's just, as I said, size that is the problem.
I have already made clear that I want ships to be as immersive to the game as possible, given that it's Star Wars we're talking about with all the limitations it brings. The thing with using textures from the "real" ships is that they do not fit into the game and thus not many players will like it. It could work IF I made this a total conversion mod, although using that kind of images for the ship sprites brings a whole lot of new problems I really wanted to avoid...

As for the Home One and the Allegiance, ever heard of the "International Bounty Board"? I forget which mod it comes from, but putting them as (EXTREMELY) high bounties could be a way to put them in-game.
Yes I have, and I have already spoke on discord regarding adding more ships to the Bounty's list, but those two ships need to be handled VERY CAREFULLY before I even add them to the game, regardless of where I put them. Missions outside the campaign seems like the best choice for OP ships since it doesn't really break the game, but who knows ;D

I'm going to throw out a completely random and off topic guess and say that the mod will be somewhat balanced by the 0.9.0 update. :D
Starsector v0.9.0 ? It depends on so many factors I can't give an ETA, specially when it comes to balancing the mod.
I am planning on having some ships ready and balanced in v0.6.0 of this mod, along with all the crap I've been messing with since the last release. It will be the largest update so far (which isn't that hard right now) and may be the update that will finally put this mod into the mod index.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:18:53 AM by joaonunes »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Well good to know you know about the balance. But about the weapons: most are underpowered for frigates and destroyer fights, but the cruisers lasers (coughVenatorcough) are quite powerful, and the caps can be unstoppable if you are willing to sacrifice smaller ships...Missiles and torps are a different story. I never thought those things could be so terrifying...And that's good. At least it's a rapid and massive pain vs the slow pain of ten million harpoons coming at your venting Onslaught from SEEMINGLY EVERY CORNER OF THE BLOODY MAP.
Trust me when I say the missiles are not nearly as scary as they once were...
Lets just say a single wing of tie bombers could almost destroy a capital ship by itself, and I mean a capital with 0 hard flux and raised shields...

As for sprites, I'd say just making them smaller (and not take up half the space on the Combat Radar...LOOKING AT YOU HOME ONE AND ALLEGIANCE!) and they would be fine. Yeah the Venator could do with a bit more detail, yeah the Nebulon-B could use a little editting here and there (though it and the CR-90 actually look pretty good!), but over all the LOOK fine. It's just, as I said, size that is the problem.
I have already made clear that I want ships to be as immersive to the game as possible, given that it's Star Wars we're talking about with all the limitations it brings. The thing with using textures from the "real" ships is that they do not fit into the game and thus not many players will like it. It could work IF I made this a total conversion mod, although using that kind of images for the ship sprites brings a whole lot of new problems I really wanted to avoid...

As for the Home One and the Allegiance, ever heard of the "International Bounty Board"? I forget which mod it comes from, but putting them as (EXTREMELY) high bounties could be a way to put them in-game.
Yes I have, and I have already spoke on discord regarding adding more ships to the Bounty's list, but those two ships need to be handled VERY CAREFULLY before I even add them to the game, regardless of where I put them. Missions outside the campaign seems like the best choice for OP ships since it doesn't really break the game, but who knows ;D

I'm going to throw out a completely random and off topic guess and say that the mod will be somewhat balanced by the 0.9.0 update. :D
Starsector v0.9.0 ? It depends on so many factors I can't give an ETA, specially when it comes to balancing the mod.
I am planning on having some ships ready and balanced in v0.6.0 of this mod, along with all the crap I've been messing with since the last release. It will be the largest update so far (which isn't that hard right now) and may be the update that will finally put this mod into the mod index.
...As I said. Quick violent death > slow painful death.

I said what I did because that would take a lot of time and effort. Just shrink the ships down and you have something that can work FOR NOW until you have better sprites. It's a bit easier to fly a ugly ship that you can see, and quite hard to fly a beautiful ship that you can't see.  ;)

Yeah you got a point there. I just mentioned the bounty board because you can get away with more powerful ships there, and those two can be the absolute final bosses you could face. A "Boss of Bosses" if you want to call it that.

I said that in a "It's going to take a long time to be balanced" way. There is a lot that needs to be done after all.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »

New systems and constelations. Position is weird because some "Rims" have a weird layout... Open to suggestions to improve this though!

Spoiler
[close]

I did not put the systems further south so the "Unknown Regions" would be the vanilla core systems because there are other factions already occupying that area.

I said what I did because that would take a lot of time and effort. Just shrink the ships down and you have something that can work FOR NOW until you have better sprites. It's a bit easier to fly a ugly ship that you can see, and quite hard to fly a beautiful ship that you can't see.  ;)
Development has been slow and programming is pretty much all I can do in my free time at work, but literally a month from today one of the projects I'm currently working on will be done which means no more working at home, so work on the mod will resume :D
Meanwhile, I may attempt to release updated ships with either reduced sprite sizes or MrDavidoff's sprites, haven't decided yet what to do as a placeholder... I may go with the second because there will be more ships than just 4-5 for each faction, but expect to have about 15 ships for each faction once this mod has reached v1.0 or close to it.

Edit: Anyone knows how to add nebulae around the systems?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:25:25 AM by joaonunes »

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2018, 07:53:27 AM »

Are you looking for any testers when it gets to that stage??

I'm not sure on nebulas. Someone here will know. I've just focused on ships for mine when I get chance to work on it so not sure on planets and environmental hazards.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »

I'm not sure on nebulas. Someone here will know. I've just focused on ships for mine when I get chance to work on it so not sure on planets and environmental hazards.

I have scanned through the hole Starsector code, failed to find anything that explicitly places the nebulas in those positions... I even tried to replicate most of the "Constellation" code and see if anything happened, but most of it only works if you really want to make a proceduraly generated system and not a set one, I couldn't even find the vanilla core sectors' nebula definitions... I got no answers on Discord either, it seems nobody has messed with this other than me :P (well, I assume since I haven't found anything of this kind in any of the other mods).

But anyways, this would only be purely visual and have no real function, it was just to look cool.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »

I have scanned through the hole Starsector code, failed to find anything that explicitly places the nebulas in those positions... I even tried to replicate most of the "Constellation" code and see if anything happened, but most of it only works if you really want to make a proceduraly generated system and not a set one, I couldn't even find the vanilla core sectors' nebula definitions... I got no answers on Discord either, it seems nobody has messed with this other than me :P (well, I assume since I haven't found anything of this kind in any of the other mods).

But anyways, this would only be purely visual and have no real function, it was just to look cool.
Maybe it's something that is only made through random generation? Just a guess. I see star systems as "City structures" and Nebulae as "Random annoying oceans", and the Nebulae in systems as "Forests the Government protects and thus can't chop down".
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »

Maybe it's something that is only made through random generation? Just a guess. I see star systems as "City structures" and Nebulae as "Random annoying oceans", and the Nebulae in systems as "Forests the Government protects and thus can't chop down".

I had that same thought but if thats the case then how do the Core systems have nebulae?

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »

I had that same thought but if thats the case then how do the Core systems have nebulae?
Uuuhh...Dev Bias? Or maybe something was done to make them considered as their own "City". Take away the interaction thing for jump points, add a effect, edit the graphics, and you may have a Nebula.

I prefer Dev Bias...because reasons.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

Uuuhh...Dev Bias? Or maybe something was done to make them considered as their own "City". Take away the interaction thing for jump points, add a effect, edit the graphics, and you may have a Nebula.

I prefer Dev Bias...because reasons.

One day, once I have the time or simply go crazy enough, I will check the code again, I must have missed something... even if it requires me to decompile te entire game

Menadime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.0 (2018/--/--)
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »

Just wanna say I wish you good luck on this i am really excited to see how this turns out

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

Just wanna say I wish you good luck on this i am really excited to see how this turns out

Thanks! Seeing that this is your first comment in the forums I can only thank you even more :D

Menadime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »

Thanks! Seeing that this is your first comment in the forums I can only thank you even more :D

Of course :3 seeing this mod made me go ahead and create an account so i could comment lol

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.1.0 EXPERIMENTAL (2018/03/13)
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »

First Experimental Release is now online!!

You may click on the image or link in the first page of this topic or the link below:

>> HERE <<

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »

are you looking for feedback on this? i was gonna give some but i figured it'd be rude to if you weren't lol

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »

are you looking for feedback on this? i was gonna give some but i figured it'd be rude to if you weren't lol

Yes!
I strongly believe that proper feedback is the only way a person can improve, so go ahead and be harsh if you have to
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:14:04 PM by joaonunes »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18