Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How should the star systems be distributed in the campaign map?

Cluster in the outskirts (current - check screenshot in spoilers)
- 12 (75%)
Spread around the core systems
- 1 (6.3%)
Spread all over the place
- 2 (12.5%)
Other? Leave a comment!
- 1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: [0.9] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.11.0 (2019/10/15) - The Murderous Wedges  (Read 211064 times)

gofastskatkat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Its working now, looked through the ships, and pretty sure that all the flux/hulls/armor stats for the ships are placeholder? And also for the fighters, the TIE/IN is 50 units faster than the A-wing, though in both's description it says the A-wing is supposed to be faster

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

the flux/hull/armor values are somewhat similar to vanilla when compared to what they were before, but they are sessentially placeholders because all the ships and weapons will be altered. Same goes for the fighter wings.

mattmios

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for your efforts.

Wanted to say that even in this state it ist fun to try to get a few ships and go into battle (had to edit the number of squadrons to satisfy my inner monk though ;) ).

Cheers,
mattmios

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Thanks for your efforts.

Wanted to say that even in this state it ist fun to try to get a few ships and go into battle (had to edit the number of squadrons to satisfy my inner monk though ;) ).

Cheers,
mattmios

Thank you :D

Indeed, right now this mod is something closer to a proof of concept than a proper mod, lots of work need to be done before it reaches what I consider a "release" state.
The thing that is holding me back the most is the ship sprites, I am currently in the process of trying to "hire" a fellow colleague to help me with that :P

As always, if you find any problem with the mod please report it, the player feedback will help a lot to spot the issues I have not yet seen.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Star Wars Rebalanced v0.5.1 (04/06/2017) - WIP (NEED SPRITERS!)
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »

New poll started to find out the people's opinion on the system positioning in the campaign map.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Great to see this mod coming back!!! Having a Space Based game without a Star Wars mod was SERIOUS Heresy and ***.  ;D

As for the poll, I picked Other. I picked that because...Well look at 90% of the other mods out there. All good, but they are mostly have their planets around the vanilla systems. That's perfectly fine if you have, say, Scy Blackrock and ORA. That's only a few systems added in...But what if you want the factions to have space between them? Having a LOT of faction mods ends up with a relatively small amount of space being contested. Having the Star Wars systems a bit further away (Daible Avionics two furthest systems for distance examples) gives them separation, while also being able to still reach the rest of the galaxy in a...relatively quick manner.

Plus, you can focus on just playing with just the Rebels and the Empire without having to do any coding to make sure you don't see a Hegemony ot Tri-Tachyon ship every two bloody seconds.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Great to see this mod coming back!!! Having a Space Based game without a Star Wars mod was SERIOUS Heresy and ***.  ;D
I was surprised as well to see that there was no (working) Star Wars mod, that was one of the reasons I started updating this one :p

As for the poll, I picked Other. I picked that because...Well look at 90% of the other mods out there. All good, but they are mostly have their planets around the vanilla systems. That's perfectly fine if you have, say, Scy Blackrock and ORA. That's only a few systems added in...But what if you want the factions to have space between them? Having a LOT of faction mods ends up with a relatively small amount of space being contested. Having the Star Wars systems a bit further away (Daible Avionics two furthest systems for distance examples) gives them separation, while also being able to still reach the rest of the galaxy in a...relatively quick manner.

Plus, you can focus on just playing with just the Rebels and the Empire without having to do any coding to make sure you don't see a Hegemony ot Tri-Tachyon ship every two bloody seconds.
I get what you are saying. How would both factions be positioned relative to each other though? Empire on one side of the "galaxy" and the Rebels on the other or kinda mixed up at some distance from the core systems?
(Technically I am adding two factions)

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Great to see this mod coming back!!! Having a Space Based game without a Star Wars mod was SERIOUS Heresy and ***.  ;D
I was surprised as well to see that there was no (working) Star Wars mod, that was one of the reasons I started updating this one :p

I get what you are saying. How would both factions be positioned relative to each other though? Empire on one side of the "galaxy" and the Rebels on the other or kinda mixed up at some distance from the core systems?
(Technically I am adding two factions)
The Empire and Rebels would still be close by each other.

The Rebels took over outer rim planets, while the Empire had the core worlds in Star Wars. If you wanted it to be star wars lore friendly, keep Rebel systems on the outer bands on Empire help planets.

Rebels were based in the Outer rim and a little of the mid rim. The Empire was Core and Deep core focused, with their influence getting weaker and weaker the further out they went. Basically, try making your own little "galaxy" inside a part of the sector. There's plenty of space to use! Use the Imperuim and Diable mods as reference for how far out to go. Use that as a guide for how the Empire and Rebels were positioned in the lore if needed.

Edit: HOLY MOTHER OF NUGGETS THAT PIC WAS BIG!!!...Uh...Sorry! I'll try to find a smaller one! o.o

Edit 2: Nope. That's the smallest one that shows the galaxy in that manner. -.- Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:00:16 PM by A Random Jolteon »
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

The Rebels took over outer rim planets, while the Empire had the core worlds in Star Wars. If you wanted it to be star wars lore friendly, keep Rebel systems on the outer bands on Empire help planets.
*snip*

Rebels were based in the Outer rim and a little of the mid rim. The Empire was Core and Deep core focused, with their influence getting weaker and weaker the further out they went. Basically, try making your own little "galaxy" inside a part of the sector. There's plenty of space to use! Use the Imperuim and Diable mods as reference for how far out to go. Use that as a guide for how the Empire and Rebels were positioned in the lore if needed.

Edit: HOLY MOTHER OF NUGGETS THAT PIC WAS BIG!!!...Uh...Sorry! I'll try to find a smaller one! o.o

Edit 2: Nope. That's the smallest one that shows the galaxy in that manner. -.- Sorry!
Damn that's a large image...

ATM I am using this as guide to place the systems, all of them in a cluster located north-east of the core systems (as you can see from a screenshot in the main post)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:17:20 AM by joaonunes »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

*snip*

Damn that's a large image...

ATM I am using this as guide to place the systems, all of them in a cluster located north-east of the core systems (as you can see from a screenshot in the main post)
And that was one of the smaller images...

And that's a better map, but mine at least says the names of the regions. Whatever you prefer...Hold on a minute.

Hmm...Using Corusant as a central location and Endor as a "distance from Vanilla" location, move the Star Wars planets down to a level where Corvus is while keeping the same distance, and the Vanilla planets would be in the "Unknown Region" in the Star Wars Lore. Doing this would actually allow you to ignore the "East" side of the Star Wars galaxy, at least for a VERY long time.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile

You can change the size of pics by adding width=# in the first img tag btw, for example

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Hmm...Using Corusant as a central location and Endor as a "distance from Vanilla" location, move the Star Wars planets down to a level where Corvus is while keeping the same distance, and the Vanilla planets would be in the "Unknown Region" in the Star Wars Lore. Doing this would actually allow you to ignore the "East" side of the Star Wars galaxy, at least for a VERY long time.

You'll have to translate that to something I can understand better :/
Are you saying I should move the whole cluster south and align them with Corvus?
I chose that location because in terms of modded systems it is pretty much empty, and all systems are closer to the the Corvus system than any system that may be added to the west side of the Core Systems...

I am using that map because of the coordinates of the systems, I am using Coruscant as anchor for the whole cluster using a multiplier to define how spread the systems are relative to the anchor using the coords from that website as relative position to the core.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:33:31 AM by joaonunes »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

You'll have to translate that to something I can understand better :/
Are you saying I should move the whole cluster south and align them with Corvus?
I chose that location because in terms of modded systems it is pretty much empty, and all systems are closer to the the Corvus system than any system that may be added to the west side of the Core Systems...

I am using that map because of the coordinates of the systems, I am using Coruscant as anchor for the whole cluster using a multiplier to define how spread the systems are relative to the anchor using the coords from that website as relative position to the core.
Corusant would be used for the "Up and Down" anchor, and Endor was used for the "Left and Right" anchor.

Using Corusant how you are is smart, and I completely understand why you used the part of the sector that you did use. I was just trying to give you a tip on how to make it lore friendly. Whether you actually use it however, is entirely up to you.

In other news, the mod is EXTREMELY unbalanced when put against Vanilla ships. Not going to say specifics because literally everything in this mod would need a gigantic re-work, but if you decide (for whatever insane reason considering you have a bloody HOME ONE and a ALLEGIANCE in this mod) to balance them, I recommend looking into the weapons first...Thought I somehow doubt you want it completely balanced to Vanilla.  ;)
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Corusant would be used for the "Up and Down" anchor, and Endor was used for the "Left and Right" anchor.

Using Corusant how you are is smart, and I completely understand why you used the part of the sector that you did use. I was just trying to give you a tip on how to make it lore friendly. Whether you actually use it however, is entirely up to you.

In other news, the mod is EXTREMELY unbalanced when put against Vanilla ships. Not going to say specifics because literally everything in this mod would need a gigantic re-work, but if you decide (for whatever insane reason considering you have a bloody HOME ONE and a ALLEGIANCE in this mod) to balance them, I recommend looking into the weapons first...Thought I somehow doubt you want it completely balanced to Vanilla.  ;)

I am well aware of the problems this mod has, just to name a few:
- Gigantic sprites
- Unbalanced ships
- Low sprite quality overall
- FPS drops due to idiotic amount of weapons
- Lack of weapon sprites for most weapons (or copy paste of said weapons)
- Use of third-party mods' resources (without consent of the respective owners I am afraid)

When I took over this mod 90% of the existing code had to be rewritten, this was a mod from the 0.5x version so it was outdated as hell, and at the moment ~99% of the existing code was made from scratch, the ship stats were nerfed heavily so they wouldnt be as powerful as they were before (I know they are still OP...) and of course, all the sprites still need to be updated to decent sizes.

I didn't give much attention to balancing yet because I don't even have the proper ships to balance, most have too many weapons and even if I make them balanced towards vanilla (which is my goal) all the stats would have to be redone after the ships/weapons are remade, and I don't like to do the same job twice without a reason for it.

Soon™ I may release a version of the mod with the ship sprites made by "Mr.Davidoff", which have proper sizes and look vanilla-ish. Of course, that will mean the mod will have fewer ships than what it has now but at least it will have playable ships. Those sprites will be placeholders as I really want to have custom sprites made by me or by someone willing to help me, so it will take a while...

Meanwhile, I keep adding more neat stuff related to the code, since it's the only thing I can do fast and easily in my free time at work ;)

EDIT: Regarding the Home One and Allegiance, I am planning on making them boss ships the player can try to defeat in custom missions available from the main menu, like all the ships they are remnants of the previous owner's view and goals for this mod.

EDIT 2: Curious thing: This mod had unbalanced ships with twice (or more?) the amount of HP and shields the vanilla ships have but yet the weapons are surprisingly lackluster, only effective due to the large numbers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:01:38 PM by joaonunes »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

I am well aware of the problems this mod has, just to name a few:
- Gigantic sprites
- Unbalanced ships
- Low sprite quality overall
- FPS drops due to idiotic amount of weapons
- Lack of weapon sprites for most weapons (or copy paste of said weapons)
- Use of third-party mods' resources (without consent of the respective owners I am afraid)

When I took over this mod 90% of the existing code had to be rewritten, this was a mod from the 0.5x version so it was outdated as hell, and at the moment ~99% of the existing code was made from scratch, the ship stats were nerfed heavily so they wouldnt be as powerful as they were before (I know they are still OP...) and of course, all the sprites still need to be updated to decent sizes.

I didn't give much attention to balancing yet because I don't even have the proper ships to balance, most have too many weapons and even if I make them balanced towards vanilla (which is my goal) all the stats would have to be redone after the ships/weapons are remade, and I don't like to do the same job twice without a reason for it.

Soon™ I may release a version of the mod with the ship sprites made by "Mr.Davidoff", which have proper sizes and look vanilla-ish. Of course, that will mean the mod will have fewer ships than what it has now but at least it will have playable ships. Those sprites will be placeholders as I really want to have custom sprites made by me or by someone willing to help me, so it will take a while...

Meanwhile, I keep adding more neat stuff related to the code, since it's the only thing I can do fast and easily in my free time at work ;)

EDIT: Regarding the Home One and Allegiance, I am planning on making them boss ships the player can try to defeat in custom missions available from the main menu, like all the ships they are remnants of the previous owner's view and goals for this mod.

EDIT 2: Curious thing: This mod had unbalanced ships with twice (or more?) the amount of HP and shields the vanilla ships have but yet the weapons are surprisingly lackluster, only effective due to the large numbers.
Well good to know you know about the balance. But about the weapons: most are underpowered for frigates and destroyer fights, but the cruisers lasers (coughVenatorcough) are quite powerful, and the caps can be unstoppable if you are willing to sacrifice smaller ships...Missiles and torps are a different story. I never thought those things could be so terrifying...And that's good. At least it's a rapid and massive pain vs the slow pain of ten million harpoons coming at your venting Onslaught from SEEMINGLY EVERY CORNER OF THE BLOODY MAP.

As for sprites, I'd say just making them smaller (and not take up half the space on the Combat Radar...LOOKING AT YOU HOME ONE AND ALLEGIANCE!) and they would be fine. Yeah the Venator could do with a bit more detail, yeah the Nebulon-B could use a little editting here and there (though it and the CR-90 actually look pretty good!), but over all the LOOK fine. It's just, as I said, size that is the problem.

As for the Home One and the Allegiance, ever heard of the "International Bounty Board"? I forget which mod it comes from, but putting them as (EXTREMELY) high bounties could be a way to put them in-game.

I'm going to throw out a completely random and off topic guess and say that the mod will be somewhat balanced by the 0.9.0 update. :D
Hi. I exist. Bye.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18