Fractal Softworks Forum
December 15, 2017, 11:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New blog post: Population Growth (11/19/17); Starsector 0.8.1a is out!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How should the star systems be distributed in the campaign map?
Cluster in the outskirts (current - check screenshot in spoilers)
Spread around the core systems
Spread all over the place
Other? Leave a comment!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Star Wars Rebalanced v0.5.1 (04/06/2017) - Leave a mark in the poll!  (Read 5237 times)
joaonunes
Lieutenant

May the force be with you

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »

DOWNLOAD STAR WARS REBALANCED HERE
WARNING!!! This mod requires Lazylib!
This mod is compatible with Version Checker

NOTE: This mod is still incomplete and as such is still missing proper balance.
Right now the ships are not as OP as people might think but they are pretty powerful at the moment, in time that will change!
For now consider this mod a proof of concept or a demo of what the mod has to offer.

If you find any bug during the development stage please report it in this topic by leaving a message and a copy of the "starsector.log" file.
If the file size is too large copy the last 200~250 lines of the log and past them into a blank txt file and send it to me.
This mod may not have been properly tested most times a new update is released and every report from the community helps the development of this mod.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the development topic of the Starsector's Star Wars mod.

This is a mod that continues the work of Nexus and his "Star Wars: Project Laser Spam" while changing most of the balancing aspects so this will fit properly into the vanilla Starsector in a more enjoyable and balanced way.
Link to the old mod: here

Here are my milestones and current progress:

- Addition of two main factions: Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance;
- Addition of the factions from the Clone Wars;
- Addition of as many ships as possible from the Star Wars universe;
- Balancing/rework of the existing ones;
- There will be custom planets like Hoth, Coruscant and some others;
  - Currently in the mod: Coruscant, Hoth, Dagobah, Tatooine, Yavin, Endor, Mon Calamari;
  - Next release: Mustafar, Alderaan;
  - Possible candidates: Dantooine, Utapau, Naboo, Kamino;
- Proper campaign integration;
- Nexerelin compatibility;
- Others to be added later.

green - finished;
blue - planned;
orange - in progress/partially completed;

I am willing to discuss any aspect of this mod with the community, so if you have a suggestion, complain or advice comment in this topic and I will analyse it as soon as possible.

SCREENSHOTS
Current map

Faction Screen

Imperial Capital

Portraits available to the player/AI

Imperial fighter wings

Millenium Falcon spotted!!

Screenshots of the other ships and other features will appear as soon as they are fixed/added

May the force be with you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ:
Question: What will be the time period this mod will be set?
Answer: The era in which the Galactic Empire was ruling the galaxy.
Later there will be a second mod featuring the Clone Wars.

Q: Will this mod be the most accurate Star Wars based mod ever to exist in Starsector?
A: No. Ships would have to be HUGE to be in the correct scale, would have more weapons than an army base (well above 100 for each capital ship) and would need a rework on how shields work in this game. Basically I would need to make a total conversion mod and even then the AI would have issues with the VERY large ships. Simply no. This mod will adapt Star Wars to the Starsector world, not the other way around.

Q: Will this be a canon or extended (renamed as Legends) based mod?
A: Very likely to have a lot of content from the Extended story. In terms of content the Extended may offer more than Canon for this mod.
However, content from the more recent movies and story made by Disney (episodes 7-9 for instance) will NOT appear or will be at the very least avoided as much as possible.

Q: Will you feature ships from the Clone Wars period? (Reason being they were still used to a certain extent long after that era, etc...)
A: Yes, BUT they will be rare/very uncommon. They were not used very often after the Clone Wars by either faction and that low frequency of use will be visible in the game. The same rule applies to ships that were sometimes used by the opposing nations (ex: Nebulon B being used by imperials), although in this case they may not even be included for the opposing factions.

Q: Will we be able to see some larger capital ships like the Executor?
A: Maybe. Most likely to be added in custom missions and not in the campaign mode.

Q: How will the ship balancing be made in this mod? In the previous one they were seriously overpowered/had a huge amount of weapons.
A: The ship sizes will be close to the vanilla equivalents, and so will the number of weapons available in each ship. This particular aspect of the mod has not yet been considered, only lightly discussed.

CREDITS:
- The wonderful artists at Pinterest (most of the portraits);
- SciFi3D and Free bitmaps (planet textures);
- Cosmo for the help over Discord regarding the faction banners;
- MShadowy, for a great piece of code from the Shadowyards mod (not his code either but it came form his mod);
- The dev team of the "Star Wars: Interregnum" mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (proper contributor list coming soon);

CHANGELOG:
[2017/06/04]
  (v0.5.1)
    - Added sound to fighter weapons;
    - Fixed use of wings in main menu;
    - Added fighter wings to ships that should have wings (woops);
    - Added fighter bays to some ships;

[2017/06/03]
  (v0.5)
    - Removed Tractor Beam, needs fixing;
    - Fixed use of wings in simulator;
    - Added new ship system: Hyperspace Jump (experimental system, available in Imperial-I Star Destroyer);
    - Adjusted Gravity Well ship system;
    - Renamed classes and files to prevent some possible compatibility issues with other mods;
    - File and code cleanup;

[2017/05/31]
  (v0.4.1)
    - Fixed AddMarketplace error;
    - Added some ships to the menu's background and simulator;

[2017/05/16]
  (v0.4)
    - Mon Calamari portraits and planet;
    - Some new custom sounds;
    - Reworked Hullmods. More to come;
    - Re-added some ships to fleet compositions;
    - First balance revision;

[2017/05/15]
  (v0.3.1)
    - Minor tweak to fuel consumption to make this mod slightly more playable;

[2017/05/10]
  (v0.3)
    - Code cleanup and minor tweaks;
    - Added female portraits;

(v0.2.1)
    - Quick patch to fix initial relationship values with added factions;

(v0.2)
    - Added Yavin Star System;
    - Edited existing star systems' planet description and textures;
    - Added Version Checker compatibility;

[2017/05/09]
  (v0.1)
    - Initial release;
    - Basic Starsector 0.8a compatibility;
    - Added placeholder planets for both factions;

Disclaimer:
The Star Wars franchise is owned by Lucasfilm and Disney. This mod is purely fan based with no profit in mind, and is in no way affiliated with either company. All assets used from the Star Wars movies, games or any other kind of media are their property, none of it is my own creation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:29:53 AM by joaonunes » Logged

Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:49:28 AM »

Cool, SW was a mod I'd always hoped to see for SS. Just one thing, I would focus on just one period. Either republic & clone wars or Galactic Empire vs Rebellion. I played many other SW mods for other games, nobody was mixing both periods for very good reasons.
joaonunes
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »

Cool, SW was a mod I'd always hoped to see for SS. Just one thing, I would focus on just one period. Either republic & clone wars or Galactic Empire vs Rebellion. I played many other SW mods for other games, nobody was mixing both periods for very good reasons.

Yeah, that is what I meant by setting the time location on the period that goes from the 4th to 6th episodes of the Star Wars saga (Galactic Empire vs Rebel Alliance).

However, I see no harm in including "some" ships from the clone wars like the Venator or Providence as salvaged ships from those past times, the Venator at the very least has been used after the clone wars for some time with the new Imperial colours instead of the red stripes from the Republic era.

People usually don't mix the periods when making Star Wars mods because it will cause confusion and it's weird to see the republic fighting the empire or the rebels fighting the separatists Tongue Plus, each period had it's technology and ships, so including them all would both be a pain due to the sheer number of ships to add and there would be no lore behind the mod, people usually kind of notice the lore even if they don't really care about it, if a player was piloting an Imperator class Star Destroyer while fighting early Republican Venators and knows the Star Wars story by just a bit he will know something is not right...

Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »

Oh, you should had then say "I'm setting the mod in times of the galactic empire" instead of "I'm adding 2 new factions: GE i RA" u know Wink

And of course, venators were used by early GE, so were other ships like Munificient Star Frigate which had been used by the rebel alliance even. The question is how to tastefully include them into the mod to not break the immersion but rather enhance it (for the nerds like me) by having a chance meeting with a ship from the previous era. That would be my biggest concern here. Smiley
joaonunes
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »

I wanted to emphasize that this mod "adds" factions instead of replacing the existing ones like the original mod did Tongue

Yes, it's true. I am thinking about the Venator and other "outdated" ships as possible pirate boss ships or, if I want to make things more complicated, they could be "manufactured" in an old abandoned base if the player has enough crew, machinery and materials to build the ships at that location.

Another thing, and probably the only thing that bothers me as much as getting good sprites for the ships, is that all ships have a LOT of weapons. A Star Destroyer alone can have up to 100+ weapon mounts and by looking at what the previous mod creator did he actually put all those weapon mounts in the ships. I don't know if I should either do that or reduce the number to a more "logical" and balanced number. From a balance point of view having 100 turrets would require them to deal as much combined damage as a vanilla ship with only 10 weapon mounts, or they would be seriously overpowered Roll Eyes

joaonunes
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

So, I updated part of this mod to 0.8a, I'm still missing the campaign and faction code/configs so it will only load the ships into the game at the moment.
The hull mods seem to be failing to load into the ships though... Will look into that Angry

Going slow but steady.

And like I suspected, this needs some serious balancing xD

Jonlissla
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »

Nah, a total of 353 weapon mounts sounds reasonably balanced.
joaonunes
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »

Nah, a total of 353 weapon mounts sounds reasonably balanced.

ikr Cheesy

To be honest when I checked the ships with the ship editor there didn't seem to be that many weapons, and even on the Star Wars wiki the ships did not have THAT many weapon mounts, I was really surprised when I saw over 300 weapon mounts in this one xD

ChaseBears
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »

Personally, i would go for more movie-accuracy than wookiepedia-accuracy - the number of weapons was limited to what made a sufficient number of pew pew lasers on the screen xD

If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!
Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »

As for balancing, don't balance it versus vanilla. Just set up some milestones on GE and RA sides and balance accordingly to them.
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »

As for balancing, don't balance it versus vanilla. Just set up some milestones on GE and RA sides and balance accordingly to them.
I'm sorry but how is that a good idea in any way? Unless it is a total conversion, you want you mod to fit the rest of the game. Otherwise the only thing you have to fight in the mod is the mod itself and everything else is just clutter and backdrop.

Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »

I'm sorry but how is that a good idea in any way? Unless it is a total conversion, you want you mod to fit the rest of the game. Otherwise the only thing you have to fight in the mod is the mod itself and everything else is just clutter and backdrop.

To be honest I don't think that SW can be balanced in to fit with vanilla without hurting the sw ships. So yeah, I rather thought that ultimate goal would be to create a total conversion in the end. But there's no point in striving to that without having the faction's done & balanced first right?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:32:07 PM by Hussar » Logged
joaonunes
Lieutenant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »

Personally, i would go for more movie-accuracy than wookiepedia-accuracy - the number of weapons was limited to what made a sufficient number of pew pew lasers on the screen xD
Well, in all Star Wars movies the space battles look a lot more like the vanilla Starsector battles in terms of weapons available on the ships than they do on any wiki. In the original triology there are less weapons in a Star Destroyer than there are in a normal destroyer in vanilla Starsector Tongue

What do you mean? I will balance GE vs RA first and then I'll deal with the vanilla factions? It's not just the vanilla factions I would fight against, any mod that adds a faction would be underpowered when compared to the average cruiser available in this mod. A Star Destroyer could wipe an entire faction from the map and would leave the campaign without a single hull point lost.

The only way the ships could have all the weapon mounts they should have according to the wiki's ship info would be to first: make all weapons built-in like they are right now and second: make this a total conversion mod and wipe all the vanilla factions, they would be wiped anyways if they remain in the map xD But that was not really the direction I wanted to take Undecided

This is an issue that will either cripple this mod or cripple all other faction mods unless I make this a total conversion mod.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:46:22 PM by joaonunes » Logged

Hussar
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »

Do as you wish (I'm fine with either more movie vs wookipedia or canon vs legends approach [tho u are already taking from legends with the Alliegance-class haha]) honestly. As for what I mean, do you plan to include it the mod as new factions to vanilla or ultimately as total conversion - a lot of things will be hard to balance if not possible. By balancing ships only within the mod (so aiming for total conversion) you'll make it easier on yourself in many categories. Size-wise first (no need to scale ships down for vanila, so you can decide on how big imperial star destroyer will be and scale everything around it), then power wise as you'll have more freedom with how many weapon mounts to include on ships (nobody's asking for a perfect representation with every turbolaser accounted for i think?) down to how powerful each weapon should be.

That's what I meant, I hope it clarifies it?

This is an issue that will either cripple this mod or cripple all other faction mods unless I make this a total conversion mod.

I'm glad you also see & think like this then (:
Tartiflette
Admiral

Kickstarter is NOT a magic spring of free money!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »

Given the AI issues with large sprites, even a TC would require keeping the ships roughly in line with vanilla. Same with the weapon mounts for performance reasons.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: