Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 384294 times)

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »

I actually tend to go for the Lasher, it seems to have more late game use and the system makes it really powerful early game. The wolf tends to be good as well, but it dosnt have the massive devastative power of the Lasher. Put 2 dual mgs and you will devastate any frigate and some destroyers up close. Combine that with some HG and the enemy will die in the blink of an eye. The wolf dosnt really have the staying power and pure firepower the Lasher has. The Wolf is usually easier to survive with, but the Lasher is super lethal in the right hands.

I guess it comes down to opinion , i prefer the wolf because it has really good shield , and the phase skimmers give it the mobility edge over the other frigates , which i guess matters more to me now since the beggining of every battle is basicly "cap the points ,cap the points ,cap the points ,cap the points ,cap the points !!!" i also  disagree withlate game use , a close support wolf will tear fighters apart , the only reason i lost my beloved wolf i started with was because the ai though it was a good idea to make it take on a dominator on it's own :(.

@Lazy wizard

the wolf has PD , it has three small slots that come with tactical lasers if i remember right , but i have to agree that it is less effective with the default setup agaisn't shielded target due to over-reliance on beams , ship system was so useful for me , the number of times a slasher though it could get away from me to vent because i was slower , then be quite surprised when i appeared right next to it and unloaded all of my missiles. :p

i'd guess for someone new to the game the lasher is more forgiving , it's play style being resumed to " shoot until shield over load , then fire missiles". But i'll always have the sweet spot for the try tach ships.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

Great discussion, changed that part of the FAQ :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

Why is my fleet so slow?
Your fleet speed is based on the slowest ship in your fleet + the number of ships in your fleet.  The more ships, the more you slow down.  This applies to fighters/bombers/interceptors as well.  See "travel speed" in ship stats.

You should probably mention that squadrons don't slow you down if there is sufficient hangar space for them (a fleet of one carrier and several wings will go at the travel speed of the carrier, in other words).

From the .52a patch notes:

Miscellaneous:
  • Changed fleet speed calculation
    • Based on slowest ship in the fleet
    • Size based penalty only caused by ships not sufficiently faster than the slowest ship, and capped at 20%
    • Fighter speed penalty weighted by hangar space (0 when not over)

Winnebago Jones

• Ensign
  • Ohhhhhhh Maggs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »

Do we have anywhere that has a list of all ships/weapons in game? Like a wiki type page?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »

Hey Jones :)

You can find a list of all ships and weapons in the game itself, in the Codex. You can access it from the start menu or during the campaign from the pause menu.

There is a wiki here, but it is not cared for and very incomplete(which is a pity btw).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Winnebago Jones

• Ensign
  • Ohhhhhhh Maggs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was hoping for something out of game. I don't have it installed on my work machine. I have not played this in a couple months and am amazed by all the changes. I decided to finally make a forum account. (Almost my one year since buying this fun game. Ha!)

I'll check out the Wiki and think about working on it.

Edit: nevermind, apparently my work IP is not liked for editing purposes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:49:44 AM by Winnebago Jones »

Vilu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »

Bought the game yesterday and so far loving it! :)

Mods
There are some top notch mods with beautiful graphics available for this game already. Take a look at the mod index.

Any suggestions? As i'm not 100% sure what i'm looking for, knowing few that might be worth checking out would help a little.

Question(s):
To me it looks like missiles are there as a additional firepower, instead of the main source of damage. So is it possible build up a setup that uses them as main source for damage? If not possible (with the current ships and module layouts or because how they are implemented), is it something that will come / is planned with future updates?

What can i say, i love missiles in SPAZ and EVE. But it's not the end of the world if i cannot focus mainly on them :)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »

Bought the game yesterday and so far loving it! :)

Mods
There are some top notch mods with beautiful graphics available for this game already. Take a look at the mod index.

Any suggestions? As i'm not 100% sure what i'm looking for, knowing few that might be worth checking out would help a little.

Question(s):
To me it looks like missiles are there as a additional firepower, instead of the main source of damage. So is it possible build up a setup that uses them as main source for damage? If not possible (with the current ships and module layouts or because how they are implemented), is it something that will come / is planned with future updates?

What can i say, i love missiles in SPAZ and EVE. But it's not the end of the world if i cannot focus mainly on them :)

No, there are setups that have a lotalota missiles, it just depends on what you do/play like for example there is the Buffalo, Condor and Gemini there are frigates that have "strike" variants, fast ships with a torpedo and limited firepower.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2013, 04:13:51 AM »

Use a Vigilance with Pilums and Fast Missile Racks and put points into the missile skill. Then later upgrade to a Venture. That's basically as close as you get to primarily missile-based offense.

Also ships with Annihilator Pods.

ApetureUnicorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »

WOW this really helped thanks ;) :D :)

ApetureUnicorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2013, 02:12:57 AM »

hey how do you change your commanding ship? (not while in combat)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:22 AM »

hey how do you change your commanding ship? (not while in combat)
You should be able to change it in the "Fleet" window. There should be a button on the lower right side that says "Designate Flagship".
Click it once, then on the ship you want as your Flagship.
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

ApetureUnicorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »

oh great thanks    :D

Phaeton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »

Hello! It is wonderful game, I just love it. Please tell me, how can I change leading ship in campaign? I want to pilot mighty cruiser, not destroyer.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »

I believe that after you leave a station it is available as something like "Designate Flagship" twoards the right bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32