Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382666 times)

enrich235

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »

is there a reason why fragmentation is described differently from high explosive and kinetic damage.
Why doesn't it say: 200% vs hull 50% vs armor. Might be easier to get an idea of how good a weapon is.

Also is there an explanation for armor calculation?
It seem you have to crack the armor before you can do any damage to the hull. But from what I understand you dont need to crack all the armor and that you do a portion of your damage to both armor and hull if armor is low enough.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 06, 2020, 07:08:19 AM »

Because that way, fragmentation damage wouldn't deal 100% damage to hull, which would be inconsistent with every other damage type.

As for armour: armour is divided into cells, each with individual "health bar". Projectiles striking any point on the hull also deal damage to surrounding cells. So long cells still have some armour, the damage will be dealt to armour, but if the armour is gone, damage will be done to hull instead. If you strike some cells with armour and some without, you will deal some armour damage and some hull damage.
Spoiler
Armor Cells

Armor isn’t a single value on your ship, it’s actually made up of a grid (“cells”) that cover the hull. Any particular point has the Total Armor Value available to it at the start of a fight but cells lose their armor as they take damage, drawing from the immediate cells around them.

Since the technical side is, well, technical, hear it from the source:

Quote from: Alex
…the resulting armor value can go all the way up to the listed armor value for the variant. Also, the cell that was hit, plus the eight surrounding cells, contribute 2x as much to the effective armor value as the 12 cells on the outside. In effect the hit area looks like this:

Cells marked 1 have their armor contribution halved; cells marked 2 contribute their full amount. The starting armor in each cell is 1/15th of the listed armor value.

So, for a hit vs undamaged armor, with the base armor value A, you get:
9 * A / 15 + 0.5 * (12 * A /15) = 15 * A / 15 = A

What this means is that cells are working together to provide the Total Armor Value but as cells degrade, they no longer can contribute as much. Since the outside cells (the “1s”) only contribute half their armor, they are also losing armor half as quickly, giving a more graded decline in armor under sustained fire. On the other hand, a single missile or Torpedo can wipe out every point of armor affected if there isn’t enough armor to mitigate it.
[close]

Feuerholz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 21, 2020, 03:32:05 AM »

I noticed on my colonies in the second system i have stability "-1 No active comm relay in-system" despite there being one. What's going on?

[Edit]
Does the comm relay have a limited range in-system? Because now the bonus applies without intervention.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:01:10 AM by Feuerholz »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 21, 2020, 07:18:19 AM »

The bonus doesn't have in-system range as far as I know. You just have to have a comm relay. If it was built recently, then it might have been the game not updating the state yet.

Feuerholz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2020, 08:37:55 AM »

It's happening again. No active comm relay in-system it says on all three colonies despite the relay sitting right in the middle of them. It also wasn't just built recently, but i believe i already rebuilt it at the beginning of the colonization of that system when i had the same issue (not quite sure anymore).

Anyone know what could be going on? Maybe it's a bug?

Feuerholz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 23, 2020, 01:38:47 AM »

Sorry for the double post, but this definately is a bug, and i also would like to ask a few more questions.
Regarding the bug, i can safely reproduce the issue by reloading my current save a couple times, most of the time the comm relay will not be there, but - for some odd reason - if i dock with the planet i'm currently at, exit the planet menu and then reload via the "load game" menu (not quickload) the comm relay will definately be there.

And the reason i even noticed this now in this detail leads me to my second question: One of the colonies affected by that malfunctioning comm relay is loosing money because of a recent raid by the Persean League and subsequent unrest. However i didn't even realize the colony was raided until i saw the red numbers in the colony management screen. Is there any way to make news like that stick a little longer, maybe make them important, or notice me of the problems at that colony? I feel like alot of the notifications go unnoticed because of their quantity and how fast they disappear.

Furthermore, i'm now getting regular raids by pirates and the main factions alongside the usual expeditions. At this point with two colonized system with three colonies each (only one free port, no AI cores, industries spread across the colonies to avoid Pathers) the babysitting is getting kinda frustrating. It seems almost all i do is run around micromanaging the threats, then following this up by improving my lost standings with even more bounty hunting (would like to trade for a change, but the tariffs...). The stability on my colonies is fine usually (10+) but the Persean League raid shows how fast this can turn around, though granted it's a younger system that might not have had the defences necessary if the fleet was big enough.
So how do i best play this? What's the goal here, where do i go? I feel like i'm going to loose colonies without my intervention. Do i need ground defenses against raids despite having planetary shields? So far i only built the shields for ground defense points.

And lastly, i recently finished the red planet mission and i'm wondering if there's more of the campaign i just didn't stumble upon yet. If there is, could someone tell me in a non-spoilery way?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:41:59 AM by Feuerholz »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 23, 2020, 03:11:23 AM »

And the reason i even noticed this now in this detail leads me to my second question: One of the colonies affected by that malfunctioning comm relay is loosing money because of a recent raid by the Persean League and subsequent unrest. However i didn't even realize the colony was raided until i saw the red numbers in the colony management screen. Is there any way to make news like that stick a little longer, maybe make them important, or notice me of the problems at that colony? I feel like alot of the notifications go unnoticed because of their quantity and how fast they disappear.
You get special sound effect whenever you get colony threatening news. Other than that, you can only really check the intel, tab "colony threats" every now and then. If your colony is far away, it will take a substantial time for major faction expeditions to arrive at your colony.

Furthermore, i'm now getting regular raids by pirates and the main factions alongside the usual expeditions. At this point with two colonized system with three colonies each (only one free port, no AI cores, industries spread across the colonies to avoid Pathers) the babysitting is getting kinda frustrating. It seems almost all i do is run around micromanaging the threats, then following this up by improving my lost standings with even more bounty hunting (would like to trade for a change, but the tariffs...). The stability on my colonies is fine usually (10+) but the Persean League raid shows how fast this can turn around, though granted it's a younger system that might not have had the defences necessary if the fleet was big enough.
So how do i best play this? What's the goal here, where do i go? I feel like i'm going to loose colonies without my intervention. Do i need ground defenses against raids despite having planetary shields? So far i only built the shields for ground defense points.
Just a single free port is enough to send Luddic Church and Hegemony your way, so I'm not sure it's worth it. Pathers are currently bugged and only give -1 stability penalty, that's a small penalty and not worth trying to stay beneath notice. Other than that, there's only the standard formula: do your colonies have space stations built, do your colonies have military bases (patrol HQ provides almost nothing). I personally don't build planetary shields, since ground defences or heavy batteries typically turn out to be enough, while also providing stability bonus. In the worst case, you can take a comission with one of the factions to stop them from throwing expeditions at you.

I'm wondering if there's more of the campaign i just didn't stumble upon yet.
No.

Feuerholz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 23, 2020, 04:20:04 AM »

Thanks for the clarifications! So, is there an endgame? There are two more constellations i need to explore but please don't tell me that's it while i thought i'm just in the middle of it...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 23, 2020, 04:29:46 AM »

Unfortunately, that really is it. Endgame isn't implemented yet.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2020, 04:57:03 AM »

Not sure if it's the right thread but anyway:
I use several awesome mods and get that funny line telling me that I'm doomed (in red, haha) unless I use version checker. Well, it's great mod but I really don't need it. Not sure if this message coming from one of the mods or core game functionality. So, how do I turn this thing off? It scares me every time, lol!

Flying Dice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2021, 07:04:41 PM »

Thanks for the clarifications! So, is there an endgame? There are two more constellations i need to explore but please don't tell me that's it while i thought i'm just in the middle of it...
That's the point where you turn to Adjusted Sector to radically expand the size of the sector and increase the density of spoilers. If you have a decent rig you can make the map large enough that you need a specialized exploration fleet to reach the edge with several hundred more stars than vanilla. Combined with Nex for more involved factional conflict that can keep you busy much longer than a vanilla campaign.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2021, 02:32:41 PM »

-Deleted-

My mistake, found the screenshot file. I thought, you had to paste the screenshots manually in a document.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:47:08 PM by Mortrag »

jablonowski

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 28, 2021, 02:23:45 AM »

Is there a guide for specific roles like salvage or exploration? Like what ships do I need and how to equip them? I suppose that running around with my basic fleet of one carrier and one destroyer and two drone tenders won't be efficient.

h3lp3r

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2021, 03:57:38 AM »

I've just started the first mission with the Galatian Academy. I'm supposed to recover an instrument package from a probe. I've done this type of mission before, but not for the academy. Where you need to go in the system is a yellow circle and an exclamation mark. But I've scoured the whole system and there's nothing in it. I have double checked that I'm in the right system too. Any idea what might be wrong?

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »

Got same issue - mission just states probe without any location in the system.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32