Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382677 times)

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »

I'm amazed any of you guys got this game to work. Full screen resolution issues, when finally a workaround it done, i do the very early mission of "salvage atleast 2 ships", upon immediately salvaging them "you're out of the 300 supplies you just had in your hold 15 seconds ago", "warning no supples" "warning" "scuttle ships" warning.....
gets to station....no supplies. Game ends.

0/10 would not do again.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »

I'm amazed any of you guys got this game to work. Full screen resolution issues, when finally a workaround it done, i do the very early mission of "salvage atleast 2 ships", upon immediately salvaging them "you're out of the 300 supplies you just had in your hold 15 seconds ago", "warning no supples" "warning" "scuttle ships" warning.....
gets to station....no supplies. Game ends.

0/10 would not do again.

... Are you asking for help? I was under the impression you had no desire to further play this game. If you're looking for advice then I admire your dedication, and we'll be happy to walk you through what's bothering you! (If that's not the case, I must ask that you refrain from inserting a complaint you aren't expecting a response to into a thread that exists for helping new players get started.)

I'd very much like to know more about your early campaign play, I've never had any difficulty with the beginning of the campaign tutorial missions, and while I've seen a few other people saying that had problems, they've never been on the scale you're talking about. If you ARE asking for help, would you be able to explain in detail where your problems with the missions started?

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »

This was before, having read this thread i find it utterly baffling how people get the game to work.
I had a few more attempts before it was refunded and the above is what happened. The tutorial mission asked me to salvage atleast two ships...i do. I even hired extra crew like it said. Then all my supplies were gone and the ships started getting damaged and it told me to scuttle them. Why on earth would anyone put a tutorial in place like that is beyond me.

After that i decided to just play a full game.

"go here and kill this guy for a bounty" Ok this MUST be easy, the game mode is on easy, fly for 10 seconds....pirates,no problem...killed them.
Fly again....pirates, again no problem.
Then I just jump into the system where the target is and get a massive pirate fleet come after me.....flee fails. Forced to fight 3 powerful ships my own ships retreat and i get blasted to hell.
This....this is easy mode?

I couldn't ask for help because the game is fundamentally broken. If i can't flee, and i have to fight, please enlighten me. HOW CAN I POSSIBLE DO ANYTHING WHEN MY OWN FLEET RUNS OFF.

I really did spend 4 hours (after 2 hours of screen res fixing) before the refund so you can't know me for trying. I'm simply staggered at how I'm meant to play against overwhelming odds.
I#ve probably annoyed you so I'll leave it at that. Having said that though, my brother had a go too and encountered the same issues. Constantly dying and fleets i cannot possible hope to deal with.
Also when going after the bounty the waypoint disappeared so i could no longer persue? That with the game not saving at the same point just makes it totally unworkable.

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 25, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »

A, if you don't have enough people or enough cargo space you burn through supplies much faster.

B, bounties tell you what you will be fighting and the game assumes you paid attention in the tutorial so you will know you can't take on a much larger fleet of bigger ships.

C, easy mode increases the damage your ships do and reduces the damage they take.

D, the game supports most common resolutions, if you have a weird screen with a nonstandard resolution that is on you not the dev.

E, bounties have a time limit. If you are too slow that is on you. Most give you 120 days.

F, bounty hunting requires you to have a decent fleet of ships in good condition. If you are taking tiny fleets of busted up ships with garbage weapons against pirates that is your mistake.

Stop by the bars at the stations/planets. You can often get cargo carrying jobs that provide the cargo and pay you 20-50k once you have a couple freighters you can make 120k or more off a single run.

Do exploration/salvaging missions to make money and get better weapons or even advanced ships if you are lucky.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 25, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »

Well I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you're having. However it's quite uncalled for to say "I don't know how anyone can play this," because believe me, you're the first person I'm hearing about having issues this severe and this game has a pretty big playerbase at the moment. The game is not "fundamentally broken", sorry to say it.

There's not much I can add onto what Rasip has said above. As far as your newly-salvaged ships immediately consuming all your supplies, that shouldn't happen if you picked up all the supplies provided to you at the station as well as the extra crew, even if you were making field repairs on the way back. Bounty missions give you intel on the biggest contents of the target fleet, so you don't go rushing into death, and bounty fleets can be taken out by other AI fleets if you take too long to reach them. Easy mode is merely a damage taken decrease and damage dealt increase for friendly ships, no other major mechanical changes.

It is worth noting that Starsector is not a particularly easy game, and it isn't for everyone. It's always disheartening to hear about someone finding it unplayable, but that's just the way things are - you can't please everyone in the world. Hey, look on the bright side, you still get a commendation for trying and your feedback is still useful! And you never know, maybe one day when the game is finished you might come back to it and find it playable.

All the best for your future gaming endeavours. ;)

Naz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2020, 05:52:11 AM »

Sometimes when i use phase skimmer on my Wolf i explode instantly. Why is that happening?
I am not bumping into any ships. Maybe its some rockets/projectiles, but starter pirates cant 1shot a wolf in tutorial. Maybe its collision with drones or fighters?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »

I would guess you are skimming into Harpoon missiles. And/or you are already low on hull since it takes 2-3 Harpoons to kill a Wolf.

You can't collide with drones/fighters unless they are dead or their engines are out.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »

When you're at the point you find 3 Phaeton's don't quite cut it for fuel, should you just get more or invest in a Prometheus? I'm using Grand Sector and getting two the end of the sector and back is quite a challenge...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »

Sometimes when i use phase skimmer on my Wolf i explode instantly. Why is that happening?
I am not bumping into any ships. Maybe its some rockets/projectiles, but starter pirates cant 1shot a wolf in tutorial. Maybe its collision with drones or fighters?

I would guess you are skimming into Harpoon missiles. And/or you are already low on hull since it takes 2-3 Harpoons to kill a Wolf.

^ I concur with that possibility. Watch out for errant missiles before you jump.

Naz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:35 AM »

Yea, it must be rockets. Thanks, lads

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2020, 11:42:58 PM »

Is there any benefit to having a planet contain a complete production chain? for example, would you get a bonus if you had a planet have mining, refining and heavy industry? What about a production chain in a sector?

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »

Time for complete noob question.

Played the hell out of this, and just noticed I'm on .9 and the game is now on .91a.

How do I update to latest version?
This space intentionally left blank.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »

Time for complete noob question.

Played the hell out of this, and just noticed I'm on .9 and the game is now on .91a.

How do I update to latest version?

Complete reinstall. Starsector's game folder has an Uninstaller program in it, run that and then download the game afresh from the website. The uninstaller by default preserves your user data, so it won't delete saves, mods or screenshots, but if you're paranoid then feel free to back them up anyway (I usually do).

Important note: If you are using mods, MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THOSE TOO. Despite the jump from 0.9 to 0.9.1 being pretty minor, there are still factors that can make mods of conflicting versions not work, or at least behave badly, so it's best practise to update. Keep an eye out for mod updates that will break saves.

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2020, 02:47:08 PM »

Thanks for the quick response, updating now!
This space intentionally left blank.

Jaiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2020, 02:09:18 PM »

How do you evac your flagship from combat if you're controlling it? I had to retreat from a larger force after damaging it significantly and barely got out with less than 5-10% hull remaining after setting the flagship to autopilot and praying as I watch it slowly evac
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32