Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382694 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2018, 12:01:34 AM »

Is there any guides on how to pilot ships with broadsides and/or omni-shields? I just can't to seem to grasp how to do it while still being in control, right now I just end up flailing and relying entirely on auto fire. Advice would be nice if there isn't any kind of guide anywhere.

I pilot Conquest on QWEASD (QE to rotate, rest as usual) with weapons autofiring (at R-selected target) and use mouse to control shield. Since you can't put shields on auto (and I doubt I would want to if it was possible, AI keeps shield up too much) that's the only way to cover all necessities.

This obviously is sluggish and lacks precision, but good enough for a Capital. Broadside frigates (from mods) are pretty much unpilotable by definition.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:03:44 AM by TaLaR »

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2018, 03:35:24 AM »

Two questions, first I noticed on the battlescape its more or less a coin flip whether or not the information tab will give me full information on a enemy ship or will just show a blank stock ship, what determines getting detailed data? Secondly does a factions relations with other factions effect the imports and exports of their markets? Playing nex and was giving some holdings to the pathers so I can actually see pather fleets and I'm not sure if I can tell if a market is worth keeping or not from a stability perspective immediately.

restore

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »

This is probably somehow stupid question, but where should i find battleship class blueprints? I found that special legion carrier and got some other from combat, yet i would like to produce them as i cant buy them. Lets say i want that huge cargo ship from hegemony, should i raid their planets? What is generally best way to obtain these if, lets say, i dont want to make hegemony hostile - can these be taken even from faction that is not selling them?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »

I believe you can do a "stealth" raid, by raiding a planet/market while your transponder is off - if I recall the blog post correctly, you still take a reputation hit (of course), but it doesn't make you instantly hostile to the faction. So that could be an option if you're looking to attack "friendly" factions.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »

Is there any guides on how to pilot ships with broadsides and/or omni-shields? I just can't to seem to grasp how to do it while still being in control, right now I just end up flailing and relying entirely on auto fire. Advice would be nice if there isn't any kind of guide anywhere.

I have just gotten and set-up my Conquest in my 9.0 playthrough and i talk a bit about fitting it, flying it and how i manage weapons on it, and you see a bit of (to be fair, underwhelming) combat. But i'm hoping to get into bigger messes. :)

Core part is, ignore turn-to-mouse. The ship is so relatively slow to maneuver, especially with Heavy Armor, that you just don't get enough out of it, and also lose the ability to point the shield where you want (flick on/off, not turn, since it moves so slowly). Autofiring is most times recommended on a ship where you have to manage quite a few things such as this. Technically you may want strafing keyed up but eh, it falls under what you think you need.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:16:04 AM by Cosmitz »

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »

Is there any way to detach a ship from your fleet and transfer cargo? I want to smuggle some high priced items in my Hound without the rest of the fleet weighing me down.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »

You have to store the rest of your fleet at a market's Storage somewhere, leaving just the ships you want to fly around with. There's currently no way to "divide" your fleet aside from that.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2019, 04:07:53 AM »

It seems like a big oversight that you can't even do something so basic. Isn't this game close to being feature complete, its in .9.1. already.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »

Dev isn't keen on allowing the player to control more than one fleet.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2019, 06:32:11 AM »

Dev isn't keen on allowing the player to control more than one fleet.
But you aren't controlling more than one fleet, you're breaking off part of your fleet to control while the rest just holds position. Your colony spawns patrols and trade caravans, doesn't it? Isn't that controlling more than one fleet?

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »

When you have a colony that produces a certain good, will it prioritize supplying your other colonies industries with their goods to keep them running or export them no matter what?

Is there any strategic advantage to producing every resource possible from ore to spaceship hulls?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »

When you have a colony that produces a certain good, will it prioritize supplying your other colonies industries with their goods to keep them running or export them no matter what?
It does both at the same time.
Is there any strategic advantage to producing every resource possible from ore to spaceship hulls?
Satisfying demands of your colonies gives you up to 50% upkeep reduction, at 100% in-faction supply.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »

It does both at the same time.
Satisfying demands of your colonies gives you up to 50% upkeep reduction, at 100% in-faction supply.
Is there any transportation to take into account or will the resources from my fringe mining colony appear magically at my core world main colony?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

From your perspective, it's all done automatically. There will be trade fleets connecting those colonies and if something happens to them, those colonies will get temporary shortages and accessibility penalties.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »

I know the Operations Center doesn't work if your character isn't on the ship, but does it work if your flagship is not currently deployed on the battlefield?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32