Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382741 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »

If you fly to the bottom of the map (in a normal battle) and turn to face near downwards, a glowing 'press enter to retreat' (or something like that) appears on the screen. When it does, press enter and your ship will burn out.

Jaiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:59 AM »

turn to face near downwards, a glowing 'press enter to retreat' (or something like that) appears on the screen. When it does, press enter and your ship will burn out.

Weird, I didn't see anything like that, but then again I was panicking as I was the last one out vs 6 ships, so I probably missed it. I play at 4k as well so until ui scaling is in the notification was probably small.

Thanks, I'll test it out against some weaker pirates

Edit: Found it, it's above the main hud at the bottom left.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:22:00 AM by Jaiden »

Astran

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 29, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »

Hi there, just bought the game and I'm really excited to try it out but before starting a new game I would like to know if there are any mods you guys would recommend to new players.

Other than that ty for the guide.

pand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »

Hi,
I'm on Ubuntu 14 with Unity. When running the game in max resolution, it's fine. When running it in any smaller resolution, 1280x800 or 1280x720 (I've edited "resolutionOverride" thanks to some 9 year old post :) ), I see my system menu and title bar/system bar on the front. What can I do to fix this?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 29, 2020, 06:56:49 AM »

Hi there, just bought the game and I'm really excited to try it out but before starting a new game I would like to know if there are any mods you guys would recommend to new players.

Other than that ty for the guide.
Personally I'd recommend just playing the vanilla game for the first playthrough since there's a lot to take in. There are some QoL mods that people seem to suggest to new players but honestly you will know what you need after playing for a while.
Please don't take me too seriously.

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 29, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »

I'm a newbie as well and I agree with Grievous69, just play vanilla for a while, this game can be brutal.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 29, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

Yup, 100% agree: first time players should always start with pure vanilla. Mods in SS tend to change major aspects, and can often make the game much harder. Starsector is a pretty hard game already, you really want to try it with vanilla first to make sure it's for you. And it's not a game like Skyrim where you NEED mods to make it good - this game ain't even out of development and it's already epic.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »

So i build a Intelligence Command Centre.

Sometimes these give me an hint to an hidden base ; is there a chart or message-screen , where i can read about those
given hints ?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »

So i build a Intelligence Command Centre.

Sometimes these give me an hint to an hidden base ; is there a chart or message-screen , where i can read about those
given hints ?

This is a feature of the SCY Nation mod, you'd be better asking in that mod's thread.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2020, 03:51:55 AM »

Oh , sorry . :o
Thanx for the reply! ;)

yyptcw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • logiciel
« Reply #340 on: March 15, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »

Great thread. Thanks.

killtime101

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »

I have a question more or less about game versions, does it auto detect for updates, or will I have to uninstall and reinstall it to update the game?

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 15, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »

I have a question more or less about game versions, does it auto detect for updates, or will I have to uninstall and reinstall it to update the game?

the game does not auto-detect for new versions, and you will need to create a new save for a version update, since there are changes that break saves from one version to another

unobtrusiveSpacefarer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »

Hi everyone.

Been playing for a bit. Got a few colonies setup.

Am constantly getting targeted by pirates. Literally. A raid will barely have been beaten back when another one comes up.
Destroying a base gets me a few days of peace, then another one will get set up, usually in the same f*ing system, and I'm back to square 1.

What do?

Will the pirates ever stop coming? Do I need to get my standing with them up from -100? Are there mods that put a finite cap on the amount of pirates in the universe?

Thanks everyone.

GigaVivian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2020, 10:50:11 PM »

Hi everyone.

Been playing for a bit. Got a few colonies setup.

Am constantly getting targeted by pirates. Literally. A raid will barely have been beaten back when another one comes up.
Destroying a base gets me a few days of peace, then another one will get set up, usually in the same f*ing system, and I'm back to square 1.

What do?

Will the pirates ever stop coming? Do I need to get my standing with them up from -100? Are there mods that put a finite cap on the amount of pirates in the universe?

Thanks everyone.
The only ways to really stop a faction from attacking you is to ally them (which can take a long time, even longer if you are not playing a Nexerelin mod game) or... completely genocide them from the sector! By destroying all their known planets, then hunting down the last of their bases >NOT recommended< as bombing planets will just make the other, even bigger factions hate you, regardless of who you are bombing.

3rd is easiest but takes some preparation, just improve the colney defenses until pirates are too weak to do anything to your colonies. Then you don't really have to care about them. Best to have a nice big fleet of your own before starting colonies, then protecting them personally until they can defend themselves. (you don't have to guard the system(s) constantly, just get back when the raids count down) Lastly when you finally do have those defenses but attract bigger enemies, lure them around the map until your patrols dog pile them, then you go in last. If you go in before the patrols do, they just can't enter the fight at all, as the outside game does not keep running as a battle is going.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:10:43 PM by GigaVivian »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32