Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382702 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2019, 09:48:23 PM »

Cryosanctum is a building unique to Nomios and you can't build it at all.
Cryosleeper is a different thing, of which indeed are only two in a given sector, but instead of creating a lot of harvested organs, it increases the population growth a lot.

Kayo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »

Cryosleeper is a different thing, of which indeed are only two in a given sector, but instead of creating a lot of harvested organs, it increases the population growth a lot.

Do you know of a way to make it buildable? I know I can remove the "unboardable" tag on ships to make them obtainable, I was hoping there was something similar that applies to buildings that I wouldn't have much trouble with.

Side question, I heard of boarding quite frequently on this forum but I've never experienced this myself. Has this mechanic been removed?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:14:28 AM by Kayo »

Kayo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »

You can only find cryosanctums out on the fringes. You get the structure for your colony so long as you build a colony within the same system as the cryosanctum. IIRC, there are only 2 max in a given sector gen, but you can use dev mode to help locate them on the map easily. The names of systems with cryosanctums will be a unique color while in dev mode.

Alternatively, it may be possible to use Console Commands in combination with the "RunCode" command to make code that will spawn a cryosanctum on player location.

Do you know the command for it? :D
Also, if I console command spawn one for a planet in a system, will it still spawn more on other planets within that system too?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

Do you know of a way to make it buildable? I know I can remove the "unboardable" tag on ships to make them obtainable, I was hoping there was something similar that applies to buildings that I wouldn't have much trouble with.

Side question, I heard of boarding quite frequently on this forum but I've never experienced this myself. Has this mechanic been removed?

In the current version, boarding is the act of taking ships after combat is over. Some ships are only disabled during combat, hence recoverable (albeit with some d-mods, which reduce effeciency, fuel, etc.)

In other versions, boarding let you use marines to board ships, but it was abused from what I heard, so it was removed in favor of recovering ships after battle.

Hank Hill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:31 PM »

Hey hey people seth sent me. I was wondering if there was a way to increase the players fleet size cap. I was wanting to do a rediculous planet seige with like 50 frigates

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »

The settings.json file in \Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\ will allow you to change the fleet cap
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Hank Hill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »

The settings.json file in \Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\ will allow you to change the fleet cap
[Quote/]
Is there any program i should use to read the file? Also im not sure the correct line to search. I don't see any info on this topic when i look arround lol

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »

Notepad can work. Or Notepad++.
The line in the document is "maxShipsInFleet":30,
Change that 30 to 50 and you are good to go
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Hank Hill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 23, 2019, 01:40:24 AM »

Thank you based god

MilitaryAaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 23, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »

So I accepted a mission to find and scan a derelict ship in a system, is it supposed to be so god damn frustrating? I've been scanning everywhere top to bottom left to right for the thing for the past hour but absolutely nothing. All I'm being told it that it's "some" distance away from the center of the system. This is maddening.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:15:56 PM by MilitaryAaa »

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »

So I accepted a mission to find and scan a derelict ship in a system, is it supposed to be so god damn frustrating? I've been scanning everywhere top to bottom left to right for the thing for the past hour but absolutely nothing. All I'm being told it that it's "some" distance away from the center of the system. This is maddening.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

Go to the technology skill tab, invest at least 1 point into it, then invest 1 point into the Scanning tech skill.

This will give you Neutrino detector, which creates a bubble around you and then creates small "arrows" towards anything of interest thats big enough to be caught on sensors (this includes big objects like the star(s) in a system, planets, and of course, orbital habitats / pods / research stations).

This, as well as the tool tip that tells you the approximate location of a exploration item (survey ship / drone) will help you find what your looking for.

Hope that helped, despite you finding it, so you have a better chance finding the next one your looking for if you get another mission.

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2019, 03:07:48 AM »

Something I found out yesterday, that I don't remember it being mentioned in the tutorials, is that in some battles, you can deploy some of your ships in different locations.

E.g. in a pursuit of a fleeing force, you can deploy frigate-sized ships on the left or right of the battle zone. Click on your frigate ships during deployment, and it will change from "deploy" to "deploy left" then "deploy right".

This should probably be made more obvious.

GigaVivian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2019, 02:15:20 AM »

Heya half a newbie question, and half a personal problem with part of the game. So I found my 2nd colony, rather foolishly I now see in Hegemony claimed system. The planet was between 4-5 rank, recently lost by the Independents, I settled there first thinking the Hegemony wouldn't care that much but also because of the ABUNDANT farm land and many mining resources... however Hegemony of course went apeshit and wItHoUT deClaRing wAr set out to BOMB THE PLANET in saturation Bombing detachments. Since I was not completely foolish and had a competent fleet, I was able to defend it from like 3 over time seprate bombing attacks... Then a strong one came with 4 stars and it's looking like I'm gonna have to let it die.

Finally to the question, (with old but idk how old and annoying to go back to old saves); Is there any ways to save it, or majorly mitigate the losses? When I have not enough money to bribe them or enough good relationship (only got my 3rd colney less than a cycle/year after this 2nd one. and the Hegemony are only 17 favorable since I've been defending this whole time). By now seems like unless I strike back in full war, I was delaying the inevitable anyway

2nd, the problem...wHy iS thIS a ThINg that thE factions can just do!!!? Specifically I mean bombing your colonies without literally everyone else freaking out on them horribly, like they would for you ever Saturation Bombing, even pirate or Ludic path planets. Even Lore wise, how are the Hegemony "good bois" ok with destroying a planet of over thousands just because it's in the wrong place? All despite sortive liking and trading with the owner (my) faction??? Without Nexerelin it seems like none of the factions do this at all with eachother, right?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2019, 06:10:34 AM »

Heya half a newbie question, and half a personal problem with part of the game. So I found my 2nd colony, rather foolishly I now see in Hegemony claimed system. The planet was between 4-5 rank, recently lost by the Independents, I settled there first thinking the Hegemony wouldn't care that much but also because of the ABUNDANT farm land and many mining resources... however Hegemony of course went apeshit and wItHoUT deClaRing wAr set out to BOMB THE PLANET in saturation Bombing detachments. Since I was not completely foolish and had a competent fleet, I was able to defend it from like 3 over time seprate bombing attacks... Then a strong one came with 4 stars and it's looking like I'm gonna have to let it die.

Finally to the question, (with old but idk how old and annoying to go back to old saves); Is there any ways to save it, or majorly mitigate the losses? When I have not enough money to bribe them or enough good relationship (only got my 3rd colney less than a cycle/year after this 2nd one. and the Hegemony are only 17 favorable since I've been defending this whole time). By now seems like unless I strike back in full war, I was delaying the inevitable anyway

2nd, the problem...wHy iS thIS a ThINg that thE factions can just do!!!? Specifically I mean bombing your colonies without literally everyone else freaking out on them horribly, like they would for you ever Saturation Bombing, even pirate or Ludic path planets. Even Lore wise, how are the Hegemony "good bois" ok with destroying a planet of over thousands just because it's in the wrong place? All despite sortive liking and trading with the owner (my) faction??? Without Nexerelin it seems like none of the factions do this at all with eachother, right?

You can do two things.

One, abandon the colony RIGHT after killing off a raid. You can re-settle it later when you either have a better fleet, or can wipe out the Hegemony in the area and have enough cash to settle and pay for several military bases so that you can secure the system as your own.

Two, take a commission with the Hegemony. If your commissioned, you can colonize worlds in the same faction your commissioned with no problem.

The other thing you can do, which you probably can't do if your fleet is too weak to fight off hegemony saturation bomb fleets, is to go to Hegemony's military planets and disrupt / raid them if they have a orbital works. If they have a pristine nanoforge, raid them. This will take the forge from them, drastically dropping the quality of their ships. Disrupting their orbital / heavy industry completely means they will, at best, send *** Venture fleets at you which you SHOULD be able to kill off, and after the disruption ends, you should be making enough money to afford to invest into your colonies.

Hope that helps.

GigaVivian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »

You can do two things.

One, abandon the colony RIGHT after killing off a raid. You can re-settle it later when you either have a better fleet, or can wipe out the Hegemony in the area and have enough cash to settle and pay for several military bases so that you can secure the system as your own.

Two, take a commission with the Hegemony. If your commissioned, you can colonize worlds in the same faction your commissioned with no problem.

The other thing you can do, which you probably can't do if your fleet is too weak to fight off hegemony saturation bomb fleets, is to go to Hegemony's military planets and disrupt / raid them if they have a orbital works. If they have a pristine nanoforge, raid them. This will take the forge from them, drastically dropping the quality of their ships. Disrupting their orbital / heavy industry completely means they will, at best, send *** Venture fleets at you which you SHOULD be able to kill off, and after the disruption ends, you should be making enough money to afford to invest into your colonies.

Hope that helps.
Hm yes that helped did help a bit, sounds like I'll have abandon it. There is a pretty good pay out since what I was doing was soft turtle with this colony, pretty much invested in industries and got back most of my monies worth from them before this final raid. I didn't invest into defenses (for this 2nd colony) in any way cause I thought I could keep fighting the overtime bomb fleets and that I had no (strong/relevant unlike prate and Ludic path) enemies yet.

Still have the 2nd problem/question of basically about why they can do that no problem in the first place. See original post for my full question on that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:51:42 PM by GigaVivian »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32