Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382680 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »

That's not a fair comparison, though. Shepherd(drones+salvage&surveying) and Wayfarer (weapons) are both far from dedicated freighters, there are just none of those on the frigate tier. So it's not that Mule and Gemini are inefficient for half-freighters, they are just the first tier that can be directly compared to dedicated freighters.
I agree that my comparison wasn't much fair, but I don't think their combat capabilities excuse their low efficiency. I think I'll make a dedicated thread someday.
By the way: there aren't tankers on the chart because their efficiency is straight-forward (bigger is more supply efficient, all burn the same amount of fuel per capacity), but liners are because of mudskipper.

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »

Hi,

A few questions please...

1. how do you order fighters to perform actions against a specific target?

2. how can you see the last price of a given commodity on a planet you visited? Should I take a paper and make notes? Some planets produce a given good and I would like to have a reminder that 'planet X produces good Y' but as far I can tell, this is not possible.

3. Do you manage to play ironman? Each time I try, at a given point I get caught by a pirate fleet and I'm trashed. You can't just hope to win 100% of the time, whatever the odds, so how you manage to never lose your fleet in ironman? Do you keep some ships in reserve in an abandoned station in case something goes wrong?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2017, 02:29:55 AM »

1. If you mean when you're piloting a carrier, they follow targeted ship and you can withdraw them by clicking "z".
2. This is tricky, since supposedly game keeps note 5 or so last times you were buying or selling a commodity on a market, but it doesn't always work, so... Pen & paper is your friend most of the time. Also, checking market production remotely isn't (yet?) possible.
3. I guess it's practice teaching you what not and what to do to avoid fights you can't win. I can't really answer that since I'm not playing on ironman, too many bugs as of now. :P

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »

Hmm. I have noticed some outdated advices in first post. Will they be fixed, will a new thread be made or is it going to be left as is?
Additionally I'd like to ask if moderators could include links to those two docs, if they are good enough, to make ship choosing & fitting a little easier and clearer for newcomers.
Ship guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KaEMSCvH7CeB76wLKj0e5tn9jn6NjPJcNvciTbbQ1nM/edit?usp=sharing
Weapon guide*: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uFJ62AZOx9xjSCWUA-4f-u7jJqSQBjb7ZngFu6m7T4w/edit?usp=sharing
*Yes, this is more or less text version of pic I've shown a while ago, albeit a bit more complete.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2017, 05:32:49 AM »

is there a video out there of the neutrino detector in action somewhere. i would like to see how it works before i dedicate a point or more into that skill.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2017, 05:40:26 AM »

is there a video out there of the neutrino detector in action somewhere. i would like to see how it works before i dedicate a point or more into that skill.

Not that I know of, but it's not that hard to understand. The basic principle is that it'll put a blue circle around your ship, and you'll see pings as jagged lines - almost like the "bleeps" on a heart monitor - pointing in the general direction of objects. The size and frequency of the "bleeps" or "pings" represents how large the object is.

If I'm honest, the usage is explained fairly well in the ability tooltip. It can be finnicky to use because it will give false readings sometimes (pings that don't actually point to anything), but I've found it fun to use for helping find stuff.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2017, 06:10:51 AM »

and to me you did a better job explaining it than what i got in the in game tool tip by describing what it does better with the
...The basic principle is that it'll put a blue circle around your ship, and you'll see pings as jagged lines - almost like the "bleeps" on a heart monitor - pointing in the general direction of objects. The size and frequency of the "bleeps" or "pings" represents how large the object is.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2017, 06:14:19 AM »

Have a tip: false reading always point the same way, so if you want to filter them out check in 2 locations if some spikes point the same way. Basically triangulation (I wish it would be implemented in game, though).

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »

Have a tip: false reading always point the same way, so if you want to filter them out check in 2 locations if some spikes point the same way. Basically triangulation (I wish it would be implemented in game, though).

Furiously takes notes

Allectus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »

3. I guess it's practice teaching you what not and what to do to avoid fights you can't win. I can't really answer that since I'm not playing on ironman, too many bugs as of now. :P

I always keep a backup fleet stored somewhere with a reserve of fuel, supplies, and crew.

If I'm playing nexerelin (in version 0.72, it has not been updated for 0.8 yet) I usually start with a mining fleet so that I can build income safely and use the proceeds from that to buy a two frigates and a combat freighter.  When I take that 3 ship group out for light bounties I leave the mining ships in storage.  If I'm successful in light bounty hunting I move up to a cruiser/destroyer with a few (new) frigates, while storing the light combat fleet. I then continue building in this way, leaving behind interim fleets in storage to regress back to in case something goes wrong.

Knowing when to retreat, and getting good at it, is also critical.

In 0.8, without nexerelin, your best bet is probably survey/salvage as a final fall back.  Either way, always have a back up plan that is fairly safe.  It takes a LOT longer to build up to an end game fleet since you generally end up leaving half of your ships behind at any given point, but even that slow build is much, much faster than restarting the game over and over again hoping that this time you'll be lucky enough to win 100% of your fights....

A.Winge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »

In 0.8, without nexerelin, your best bet is probably survey/salvage as a final fall back.  Either way, always have a back up plan that is fairly safe.  It takes a LOT longer to build up to an end game fleet since you generally end up leaving half of your ships behind at any given point, but even that slow build is much, much faster than restarting the game over and over again hoping that this time you'll be lucky enough to win 100% of your fights....

I'm adding a clarification, as it took me a while to realize this:  any Market with Purchased Storage or Abandoned Station where you can store weapons, you can also store Ships.  Note the Store button is in the upper-right hand side of the Ship purchase menu, and the "Sell" button tooltip changes to "Store" when you have that selected.  Aside from truly awful clunkers (your definition will vary on what is aweful), it is probably better to play chipmunk and store your old ships rather than sell them.  The same goes for weapons, even common ones.

Edit:
This is also a good way to set aside high fuel-consumption ships if you are simply trying to make cash Surveying/Scavenging, and don't want to transition to a high-end fleet yet.

First Offense

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

Is there any place to find out where your stored ships/materials are? I found a battlecruiser of some sort and a Mora, put them in storage since I was still poor at the time and couldn't afford the fuel/crew/supplies necessary, and now for the life of me can't remember where I put them. I figured if there isn't I'll probably just savescum and jump to each inhabited planet to find them if necessary, but an alternative would be nice.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »

2 ways, both involve Console Commands mod.
  • Type "findship mora" into console, look for "storage" and note in which market this storage is.
  • Type "storage" into console and access market with storage remotely, while doing so note, how it is named. If I recall correctly, it shows where it is...

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

I always keep a backup fleet stored somewhere with a reserve of fuel, supplies, and crew.

If I'm playing nexerelin (in version 0.72, it has not been updated for 0.8 yet) I usually start with a mining fleet so that I can build income safely and use the proceeds from that to buy a two frigates and a combat freighter.  When I take that 3 ship group out for light bounties I leave the mining ships in storage.  If I'm successful in light bounty hunting I move up to a cruiser/destroyer with a few (new) frigates, while storing the light combat fleet. I then continue building in this way, leaving behind interim fleets in storage to regress back to in case something goes wrong.

Knowing when to retreat, and getting good at it, is also critical.

I'm really having fun with nexerelin and several additional mods in Ironman mode. Already lost key expensive ships in close battles or when fleeing. I'd suggest a cheaper approach than what you described.

Retain any useful salvage ships with 1 or 2 of the less critical dmods. Drop them off at some convenient storage location that you have other reasons to visit. Also retain enough money on hand to bring those ships up to functioning. Never spend all of your cash on current activity. Keep an emergency fund. Also don't sell your salvaged weapons, store those too.

If the worst happens to your active fleet. Bring up enough from your salvaged to earn money via missions or surveys. Using dmod ships is very cost effective and storing excess ships and weapons is free or almost free.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »

Quick questions:
1. Is there a way to turn off save backup function?
2. How do I turn off minimap? (I believe Alex said how, but I forgot...)
3. Is there a way to start combat with max zoom out?

Upd:
Found out how to turn off radar, and I guess I can set max zoom in combat by changing this:
"minCombatZoom":0.5 to 2.0, but I won't be able to zoom in. No way to add default zoom value for this?

And save backup still bugs me, didn't found any way to shut it down. =/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:02:29 PM by Seth »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32