Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 384197 times)

Rathorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and Starsector in general, and I had a quick question. What determines whether or not you get a monthly salary from the faction you join? I've poked around on the forums and can't find anything. I'm currently playing with Nexerilin, SS+, and Diable Avionics (Loving it btw) Ive started over with a new game a few times to try different things, and I've noticed that faction relations are kinda random even if you don't have that option enabled, and sometimes I get a monthly salary from my faction, sometimes I don't. Thanks in advance :)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »

Salary payments from your faction are in Nexerelin. Your faction needs to be alive to pay it out (at least one planet/station), i.e. it doesn't happen if you take the free start option (or the own faction option in Corvus mode).

Corvus mode also has somewhat different starting relationships from non-Corvus mode.

Rathorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »

Salary payments from your faction are in Nexerelin. Your faction needs to be alive to pay it out (at least one planet/station), i.e. it doesn't happen if you take the free start option (or the own faction option in Corvus mode).

Corvus mode also has somewhat different starting relationships from non-Corvus mode.

Right, it's just that the salary from your starting faction (i.e. Diable Avionics) can really help out in the beginning, at least for the first 2-3 months for me. I'm not playing with Corvus mode enabled, And I've started a few new games trying to figure out what's going on. It just seems random, some games I start up and I get a monthly salary, some games I start up and I don't.  ???

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »

There's a bug in older versions of Nexerelin (anything before 0.7.4d) where it won't pay salaries if you set the number of factions at start to anything other than "all" (and will likely affect things such as starting relationships as well, though I didn't specifically confirm this).
Other than that, I don't know what might be causing non-payment, unfortunately. If someone can reliably reproduce it I can look into it.

Rathorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2016, 10:43:03 PM »

There's a bug in older versions of Nexerelin (anything before 0.7.4d) where it won't pay salaries if you set the number of factions at start to anything other than "all" (and will likely affect things such as starting relationships as well, though I didn't specifically confirm this).
Other than that, I don't know what might be causing non-payment, unfortunately. If someone can reliably reproduce it I can look into it.

Just checked and I didn't realize I was running an older version, that took care of it :) thanks!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »

Just checked and I didn't realize I was running an older version, that took care of it :) thanks!
Get Version checker man! (see my sig) It is a goddess send!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Rathorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »

[/quote]
Get Version checker man! (see my sig) It is a goddess send!
[/quote]

Will do. Got the game a few days ago and I was too busy drooling to notice the new version was out :)

N7Commander84

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

Hello! I'm still somewhat new to the game and I have a problem that's preventing me from really enjoying it. I'm having issues running the starsector plus mod. I have changed to 64 bit java and have memory set to 5MB (-Xms5120m -Xmx5120m) as described in the Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! Instructions Inside + Video forum.
the game starts up, but displays improperly on the main menu. it works just fine when i actually start a game, until i get into a battle. the tactical map works fine, but when i try to pilot, the ship graphics are not there, and there are afterimages of the aiming and flux/hull HUD. If there's anyone that can help me resolve this I'd truly appreciate it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »

Hi - for the future, modding-related support requests should go here:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

For this particular issue, I suspect your graphics drivers don't properly support whatever OpenGL features Starsector+ requires. Your best bet (assuming your drivers are up-to-date) is probably to turn off Starsector+'s graphical features from... I think it's the SSP_OPTIONS.ini file.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »

A quick correction, you want to go to the GraphicsLib mod folder and open the GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini and try setting "enableShaders": to false.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2016, 06:19:44 PM »

He did mention using Starsector plus, so I was going off that. But, yes, thank you - good to mention that as well to cover all the bases.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:13 AM »

Hello, new guy in the block. I love this game that I upgraded my PC just for the sake of playing this game. Well...its not as good enough to handle the stress of using factions that heavily rely on graphicslib (gonna need buy me some RAM upgrades and prolly slave myself away to get a better graphics card). But its good enough to play 10 mod factions.

Anyway, I have questions regarding on "teleporting" ships e.g. Diable Avionic's Maelstrom and Pandemonium class.
1. How do control on where I can teleport to? I nearly died several times using this ship sub-system due to  warping around randomly when I use it. The only time I can "manually" teleport is by charging towards an enemy to unload my weapons at it.
2. What are the suggested weapons/strategy to counter this threats, especially frigates with this sub-system? I've tried using swarming tactics on such ships but my chance on killing them are like 40-60% (maybe I just suck?).

P.S. Sorry if my English sucks, its not my 1st language :-\

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »

For Diable's ship, they teleport forward in your velocity direction, facing either your target or a ship nearby if you don't have one.
No special tactics needed other than waiting them to spend all their charges before unloading your main weapons.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2016, 03:22:49 AM »

For Diable's ship, they teleport forward in your velocity direction, facing either your target or a ship nearby if you don't have one.
No special tactics needed other than waiting them to spend all their charges before unloading your main weapons.

That was a quick reply  ;D

I think I understand it more or less. I'm gonna try it later.

But what about the enemies that seems like they don't run out of charges (or they seem like it), like those frigates from Corvus Scavengers that can warp really far away and vice-versa? I even tried using a vapor-class frigates with speed mods + maneuvering jets to chase them down but they can still perform hit and run tactics till they escape. ???

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »

That was a quick reply  ;D

I think I understand it more or less. I'm gonna try it later.

But what about the enemies that seems like they don't run out of charges (or they seem like it), like those frigates from Corvus Scavengers that can warp really far away and vice-versa? I even tried using a vapor-class frigates with speed mods + maneuvering jets to chase them down but they can still perform hit and run tactics till they escape. ???

In that case I suggest long range weaponry, like tactical lasers, rail guns, maulers, gauss cannons, etc. That way even if they try to attack you, you can keep up the pressure. Alternatively, you can use strike weapons like phase lances to quickly punish them when they get in close. Yet another alternative is to use fighters; if you have Diable installed, then you have a huge variety of useful fighter wings which can distract and hurt such hit and run tactics, just make sure you have a carrier on hand.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32