Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382671 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »

Once you have selected the mission on the left side of the menu, the right hand side starts filling with a breifing.  If you left click in the briefing window, it will finish instantly, and at the bottom, it shows your fleet, and the enemy fleet.  Along with a button that says "refit".  Clicking it takes you to the fitting window for your fleet.  When you are done making changes, just hit the exit button (upper right), and play the mission.  You can also reset the configuration with another button. 

I'm not a noob, so this is particularly embarrassing, but I see no such button on my screen. I've been wanting to mess around with the Conquest's loadout, but I can't because in my campaign it isn't available for purchase. I've disabled my old 0.35a Junk Pirates mod, but that doesn't seem to have made the button appear.

pretty sure its a dev mode option. because i dont have a refit button either and i dont have dev mode on.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Spaceman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

Once you have selected the mission on the left side of the menu, the right hand side starts filling with a breifing.  If you left click in the briefing window, it will finish instantly, and at the bottom, it shows your fleet, and the enemy fleet.  Along with a button that says "refit".  Clicking it takes you to the fitting window for your fleet.  When you are done making changes, just hit the exit button (upper right), and play the mission.  You can also reset the configuration with another button. 

I'm not a noob, so this is particularly embarrassing, but I see no such button on my screen. I've been wanting to mess around with the Conquest's loadout, but I can't because in my campaign it isn't available for purchase. I've disabled my old 0.35a Junk Pirates mod, but that doesn't seem to have made the button appear.

I yeah I just checked there is no button that says refit, could you do a screenprint and show me?

sorry.
'I say we take off, and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure'

Reapy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »

Might want to also include that ctrl + a / d will strafe without tracking the mouse.

PandamanPete

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »

Thanks for the info, it was a useful tip for early-on strategy when I first started playing. :)

supamanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »

Well I've just purchased the game and after doing the tutorials and one mission I decided to try out the campaign since that's the main reason I bought the game-in-progress.

Ah, well, it has been a rather painful and disappointing experience  :(

First off... a tiny bit of hand-holding would be nice, I felt alone and helpless not knowing what to do. But I guess that will come in later versions.

So, after poking around I realized the only thing I could really do is pick a fight. After a few defeats against pirates who always outmanoeuvre or outnumber me, I finally found a lone pirate and managed to survive (he retreated, couldn't catch up). Seconds later, a small pirate group jumps me, no way to run away or avoid the fight, and I got whipped.

So, I'd appreciate some help on how to survive more then a few minutes into the game because I'm not feeling the love here.

vmxa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

There are several youtube vids that show the very start of campaigns. What they have done is to look for easy targets till they got some fighters. Speed can be an issue. If you have one of the slow vessels to start, sell it for a faster one like a lasher or wolf.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

Well I've just purchased the game and after doing the tutorials and one mission I decided to try out the campaign since that's the main reason I bought the game-in-progress.

Ah, well, it has been a rather painful and disappointing experience  :(

First off... a tiny bit of hand-holding would be nice, I felt alone and helpless not knowing what to do. But I guess that will come in later versions.

So, after poking around I realized the only thing I could really do is pick a fight. After a few defeats against pirates who always outmanoeuvre or outnumber me, I finally found a lone pirate and managed to survive (he retreated, couldn't catch up). Seconds later, a small pirate group jumps me, no way to run away or avoid the fight, and I got whipped.

So, I'd appreciate some help on how to survive more then a few minutes into the game because I'm not feeling the love here.
What ship are you starting out in? How big of a fleet are you choosing to engage?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

supamanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »

Don't remember, besides it changes every time I restart the campaign. As for size fleet I engage, I try and avoid everything larger than 1, but sometimes a bigger pirate fleet chooses to engage me and I can't seem to do anything about it since they are faster than me.

vmxa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:27:29 AM »

I think a couple of things are needed down the line to deal with weak start and the lack of suitable targets and the later lack of fleet speed to catch smaller fleets. One way is to have difficult levles, so you can have different sets of ships and universe. That could deal with some issues. The long sessions of running around trying to find a fight would still be an issue.

Maybe two or three galactic locations, where you start in a weak one and find few large fleets (just a few to defend planets and stations). You eventually get strong enought to earn a means to go to the next location and face larger fleets and finally a last one that is the hardest. I don't know, but for sure a method to reduce the long dead times chasing half way across the map is needed. Your fleet gets progessively slower as it grows and it gets harder to engage anyone.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »

Don't remember, besides it changes every time I restart the campaign. As for size fleet I engage, I try and avoid everything larger than 1, but sometimes a bigger pirate fleet chooses to engage me and I can't seem to do anything about it since they are faster than me.

They shouldn't be faster than you, and if you start with a ship that isn't a Lasher or Wolf, you should sell it off at the Hegemony station to GET a Lasher or Wolf. Personally, I prefer the Lasher.

You should also be able to singlehandedly take fleets of up to 3 units comfortably. Some advice regarding fighting multiple opponents:

1) Isolate! Pick the squishiest enemy, and go for them first. In my experience, in regards to the pirate fleet, this usually means going for the Hound or Buffalo, since neither has shields. A few harpoon missiles will sink a Buffalo, but don't use your missiles on the Hound, since they're usually too fast for their own good. The logic here should be obvious, you're fighting 1v3, so you should attempt to even the odds as quickly as possible.

2) Autofire! If it's a turret and not a missile weapon, it is probably a good idea to set it to autofire. This isn't about questioning your aim, it's about pouring on as much firepower as possible. Since you can't shoot more than one weapon group, let the computer handle as much as possible.

3) System map! Look at your system map (TAB) FREQUENTLY! Don't get caught off guard, and if things get dangerous, fly back to the Hegemony station. Sell all the fuel you get for free money, and make sure you have a decent number of marines for boarding. Early on, this is how you'll get more ships.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Mandabar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »

I think someone needs to update this thread. At the least update info about accidents and cargo capacity being over DOES matter now.

Also shortcuts and Shift U for autopilot/ Shift + # of weapon group for auto fire.

Also mention the new refit purchase items mechanics.
Instant refit/repair at stations
Repair not available at station that you are hostile to.

Perhaps some flight advice on how to play the game? I know I could use it, I generally suck at everything but 1v1/2

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »

Find your play style and don't pick fights you can't win. That's my advice. Some people are really good at kiting, others tanking. You kind of have to find your balance and the right ship and loadout. Takes patience, but it's fun to do, so who really cares.

Keep your fleet clustered if you are out numbered, then you'll pick the enemy fleet apart as they come to you.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:09 AM »

On the map screen the fleets are marked by triangles with the bigger fleets comprised of bigger triangles. Some of the smallest triangle fleets are actually made up of a buffalo cruiser, a few frigates and a few fighters. The size of the triangle is very misleading with regards to this specific fleet, so always make sure of the fleet by mousing over it.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

TotalBiscuit has a nice introduction to the game in 0.50 state, most of which still applies today. Engage small fleets, run from the bigger ones. You can find their size by mousing over as has been mentioned. Nothing is faster than you are if you only have the one ship; you should be going approximately 300 (speed unit) with engines operating at 100%.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »

I recommend an explanation of "Hard Flux" be added to this guide, as it's an unintuitive, unexplained feature a lot of people seem to run into.

If you don't know, damage absorbed by shields is considered Hard Flux, as opposed to flux generated by weapons fire.  Hard flux can only be dissipated while the shields are down.  It is indicated by the notch on the flux bar.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32