Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wolf (D) Restoration  (Read 3604 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Wolf (D) Restoration
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »

Not so much a bug as an oversight - Restoring the Wolf (D)s used by pirates (And also generated post-combat) does not bring them up to spec - They're still down 10 OP and still lack two of the three small energy turrets (Despite the Destroyed Weapon Mounts hullmod being removed). Not sure if this is true of other (D) ships, but I thought the intent of restoration was to completely overhaul an otherwise degraded ship. I think the cause is quite obvious, with those (D) variants being their own ship rather than being generated through actual damage. I'm not sure if this is still intended with the way D-mods work now, but personally, I'd prefer to see them removed, with their skins being applied dynamically depending on degradation, and the D-mods being applied at random to pirate ships.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf (D) Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »

It's not a bug, just a labelling error. What you have is a crappy pirate version also called a Wolf (D), which is different from a normal Wolf, or indeed, a normal Wolf with damaged mods which /can/ be restored to a normal Wolf quality, and is also called Wolf (D). Restoring a Wolf (D) pirate version will remove damaged mods. I think it's a 'to be fixed' for 0.8.1, setting them to Wolf (P) or such, like we have for TT and the Ludds.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »

paying 50k and still getting crap is a bit strange design move.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »

It's a matter of ship 'skins', as in, factional mods of existing ships. Pirates just end up weaker, but TT and Luddic ships are different from their counterparts, but it's more of a trade-off than a straight upgrade, so you might not want that 'restored' in any case. This just is a fringe case.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »

The destroyed weapon mounts hullmod is to show why the actual ship is lacking two weapon turrets. It is intentional to not be able to reclaim them.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »

The destroyed weapon mounts hullmod is to show why the actual ship is lacking two weapon turrets. It is intentional to not be able to reclaim them.
If I'm paying 50k to restore a ship that, brand new, usually costs what, 16, I damn well expect them to be replaced, along with the extra 10 OP. I understand that it's the pirate "variant" of the Wolf, but it's only so because it's been abused to hell and back. That makes it no different from a normal Wolf that's been blown up and recovered 20 times over. The only reason the "variant" exists is to enable the possibility of destroyed weapon mounts in the first place, as I assume their dynamic destruction is impossible, or has yet to be implemented.
On OP, if the intent is to limit it for degraded ships, some of the D-mods could simply cost OP. At least then, I'd be able to compensate for the persisting destroyed mounts after restoration.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »

yah that whole damaged variant thing was the initial implementation of damaged ships. It represented a used and abused hull. Now there's a new system, but the old system is still there and interacting with the new system in confusing ways.

For now this is just a thing for new players to stub their toes on, and technically not much of a concern because none of the D variants are varients of something you should run recovery on, it's not worth it, they're common ships. So... Again... something for new players to stub their toes on.

I think that's why people don't care if this gets fixed, most people here arn't new players.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:03 AM »

This is generally a problem with (leftover?) (D)-hulls form previous version, but with present "procedural (D)-mods" they are obsolete and since they weren't made with restoring in mind they are substandard even when restored... I hope that Alex will remove special conditions from skins, but keep them themselves in the game, even if they're virtually the same as normal versions (and by that I meant re-adding missing mounts and restoring their OPs in line with normal versions).
This thing happens also with deagle (missing OPs), ddominator (missing OPs) and dfalcon (missing mounts and OPs).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »

One of the things for the .1 release is clearing this stuff up, yeah.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »

One of the things for the .1 release is clearing this stuff up, yeah.

Awesome. I wonder, would it be possible, or even worthwhile to make hull variants dynamic in general? For example, I could buy a Brawler somewhere, then take it to a Tri-Tac station to have it upgraded to the (TTS) variant? Of course, doing so would require good standing with the faction in question.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:27:06 AM »

I wonder, would it be possible, or even worthwhile to make hull variants dynamic in general? For example, I could buy a Brawler somewhere, then take it to a Tri-Tac station to have it upgraded to the (TTS) variant? Of course, doing so would require good standing with the faction in question.

I wouldn't be against this as a mechanic.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 05:23:24 AM »

"super permanent" damage serve no purpose, just image 1% chance to lose your only medium mount on wolf with each hit?

your first mistake and you are forced to get other hull, especially fun when you dump all ingame money and still get hull without mount.