Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Raise Files by One Directory  (Read 1944 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
How to Raise Files by One Directory
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »

Title says it all. Relevant to SS because I just downloaded like thirty mods for my .7 holdout to figure out which mod had a ship I liked so I can bug its creator to update, and ran into a situation I run into frequently as an over-modder (when I play AAA games I tend to manually install at least 80 mods at once): when you download a mod usually it comes compressed, and after you de-compress the file it looks like this
"game/mods/nakedarmor0.985/nakedelfarmor/content"
but in order to run it needs to look like this
"game/mods/nakedelfarmor/content"
which is fine for one or two to have to double-click into the decompressed container folder, then right click, scroll down to cut, then backspace, right click, click paste, then find the old, now-empty folder and delete it.
But when you're downloading mods forty at a time, and then end up having to do each of these one at a time and missing a single one messes up your whole setup and requires you to re-go through all of it it's a pain in the ass and it just feels like there should already be a tool out there where you can right-click a folder, select an option (in my heads it's called "shucking" a folder, so the option would be "shuck") and your rig cuts that folder, pastes it one directory up and then deletes that directory after backing you out of it, but for the LIFE of me I can't seem to find anything like that.

Basically, why can I always find naked elf armor mods but no app to make setting up a directory of 300 naked elf armor mods easier?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How to Raise Files by One Directory
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »

use 7zip to extract the contents of all zip files at once

1) Open folder with All zips in (Folder A)
2) Open Folder with place where u want the content (Folder B) *IN A SEPARATE WINDOW*
3) Place Windows next to each other
4) Select Folder A as active folder
5) Press CTRL+A
6) Rightclick on highlighted files and drag to Folder B
7) Release right click and select *7zip->Extract Here*
8) **DO NOT CHOOSE** 7zip->Extract to "Zip Name\"

step 8 is where i think u make the mistake
i cannot speak to the efficacy of this in Morrowind extracting Ghost Armour but in SS all the common good modders mods work this way without trouble

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: How to Raise Files by One Directory
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »

Click, control-x, backspace, control-v, up, delete.

Repeat.