Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Hoplites of Corinth  (Read 44382 times)

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The Hoplites of Corinth
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »

You should call it ?? ??????? ?? ???????? (transliterated: Hoi Hoplitai hoi Korinthou), which is "The Hoplites of Corinth" in ancient Greek.  Or maybe I'm just being a pretentious classicist?

EDIT: Apparently the fora don't like Greek characters :(

hehe that's pretty cool, but a pain to pronounce if you're me (and likely not pronounced correct at all :D)
Dev of the mod "The Hoplites of Corinth" and  artist for "Portraits Galore".

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

0.3alfa update

Added:
  • A wing of fighters - Dory class
  • A missile weapon for the fighters(in effect, 5 swarmer missiles that fire one missile at a time).
  • A carrier cruiser - Soteria Class
  • A new test mission, where you can try fighting versus the Hoplite faction (inverted mission).
  • Slight tweaks of various ship loadouts.
  • A LOT of fiddling with missile placement.

Dory Class: fighter wing

Soteria Class: Cruiser Carrier

Notes:
I'm not happy with the Cruiser. It just seems very "busy" to me, too much stuff going on with weird angles, but It will have to stay for now. I'll rather make new than redo old ships at the time.

I don't know if it's me, but the coordinates for placement of weapons seems really funky to me, sorta inverted maybe? I dunno, I might just be tired or something. In any case, it resulted in a lot of time being used to tinker with stuff, so that missiles (who often are freaking huge for small crafts. In my case especially the sabot & harpoon) wouldn't look too wonky. I usually use the incredibly handy Starfarer Ship Editor, so altering manually took some getting used to.

As a final remark. I'm producing this mod while also going to an university, so that would be why updates can at times be sporadic.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »

That is a sweet looking cruiser. Looks like it could do some damage with that lizard sticker as well.

ensignharrykim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

can i offer some advice?

Forget the balancing make the Hoplite ships super tough after all the real Greek Hoplites took years of training almost from birth balance them by making them really really REALLY expensive
BTW the closest thing that Firefox could come up with for spell checking Hoplite was shop lifter

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

Those ships really look like something Silicoid would make on MoO, really nice designs btw

Etfaks

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

can i offer some advice?

Forget the balancing make the Hoplite ships super tough after all the real Greek Hoplites took years of training almost from birth balance them by making them really really REALLY expensive
BTW the closest thing that Firefox could come up with for spell checking Hoplite was shop lifter

I don't think the tech should mirror their historic prowess in battle. Then I would rather just use senior personnel to ground their capabilities in game terms. However I feel like they should be more of an underdog faction, since their main concern is resisting being annexed by particularly the TT or Hegemony. Besides it will be difficult to achieve a sense of "fun" when meeting OP ships in battle that just obliterates your fleet. I feel like any fleet should have a strenghts & weaknesses, not only in price & numbers.

The way I am hoping to balance the ships is through their preferences in loadouts. The ships are exhibiting only energy & missile weapons, so the opposing fleet should focus on safety and defence, maybe kill off some lesser ships but focus on surviving the missile onslaught. Once the missile barrage thins out, it should be possible to overcome the opposing fleet if you have not yet suffered too heavy casualities and are in control of some controlpoints.

The problem lies in not making the initial missile punch too massive. Sabbots are often very limited but is the best way of punching through shields. The alternative is gravitonbeams but they are difficult to overload destroyers or larger with, so survive the sabbots and you should have a good chance.

On the flipside, the many missiles means that large lowtech ships often are barraged quickly to death, so they need PD help at times :/

ensignharrykim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »

can i offer some advice?

I don't think the tech should mirror their historic prowess in battle. Then I would rather just use senior personnel to ground their capabilities in game terms. However I feel like they should be more of an underdog faction, since their main concern is resisting being annexed by particularly the TT or Hegemony. Besides it will be difficult to achieve a sense of "fun" when meeting OP ships in battle that just obliterates your fleet. I feel like any fleet should have a strenghts & weaknesses, not only in price & numbers.

The way I am hoping to balance the ships is through their preferences in loadouts. The ships are exhibiting only energy & missile weapons, so the opposing fleet should focus on safety and defence, maybe kill off some lesser ships but focus on surviving the missile onslaught. Once the missile barrage thins out, it should be possible to overcome the opposing fleet if you have not yet suffered too heavy casualities and are in control of some controlpoints.

The problem lies in not making the initial missile punch too massive. Sabbots are often very limited but is the best way of punching through shields. The alternative is gravitonbeams but they are difficult to overload destroyers or larger with, so survive the sabbots and you should have a good chance.

On the flipside, the many missiles means that large lowtech ships often are barraged quickly to death, so they need PD help at times :/
well then you could balance by making the hoplite's ships primarily forward firing with very few rear or side facing weapons?

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »

I always liked the idea of having fast but survivable frigates designed to harry and survive like the sickle and the shepard to slow and occupy the enemys larger ships till the slower capitals could get within range.

Basically highly shielded by slow capitals are your phalanx and the other ships are your skirmishers--a capital line would fit in well with their lore of being mainly defensive trying to out maneuver their enemys rather then beating them in a slug fest. The medium ships can be long range strikers and heavy gunships designed to destroy ships their size and isolate the enemy capitals so the phalanx can do what its designed to do, kill other capitals.

Sludgecrawler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

I enjoy the ships and handling of them, but find the weapon load-out often quite inefficient.
Mixing short range and medium range or medium and long range missiles in the same weapon groups may be good when they're on auto and the crew is somewhat experienced, but attempting to fire them manually and not wasting good ordnance in the thick of battle is very difficult.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:46:48 AM by Sludgecrawler »

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »

Nice ships BUT SPELL "Alfa" right it is ALPHA!!!!

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 04:55:09 AM »

Etfaks, now it's the best time to start working on Battleship :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »

Etfaks, now it's the best time to start working on Battleship :)

I'm skeptical of a full-sized capital ship having much congruence with the Hoplites' stated strategic goals. Size-wise, the existing Heracles hull is about as large as I'd prefer, though it could indeed use a buff to its abilities (while still remaining a bit inferior to a true capship, as Etfaks intended).

Speaking of additional future ships.....instead of adding true battleship-grade capships, perhaps additional medium-sized units (destroyer hulls, and an additional cruiser hull) would be a better fit with the Hoplite situation and their limited resources.

Alternatively, a new "harassment frigate" hull which prioritizes durability & flux dissipation at the expense of a high weapons count? Such a ship could serve in large numbers as a "small 'heavy' unit" in the opening of a battle, later serving as a backup echelon behind the cruiser echelon or used independently as skirmishers on the flanks. I think that Arghy's idea up above is a good one and it deserves further exploration.

And as an alternative to the alternative ( ::) ), that possible new destroyer hull could be the sturdy harrassment unit instead of a new frigate. Use of a DD hull would allow you to still keep a hard-hitting weapons suite while still retaining much better agility than a cruiser, though less than that of a fast frigate hull. In general terms, I'm speaking of a unit with the weapons load of a Medusa but also with less speed, less efficient (though perhaps wider) shielding, just a bit less maneuver & acceleration than a Medusa -- but more armor, more ordnance points and superior flux abilities (dissipation as well as capacity).

Such a hull might be costly to buy, but its physical excellence would be well worth the trouble -- it's a superiority unit to anchor small groups of friendly frigates (or other destroyers), or to fly only with others of its own kind as an "armored knights galloping ahead of the massed infantry" group.

Etfaks, this is an impressive little mod and I have high hopes for its future. Kudos to you for such a good start. What are your plans for its next stage of development? Have they changed since the last edit to your thread's first post?
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

@Archduke Astro I don't Remember that the nomads had a much better situation than the hoplites. And yet they fielded an dedicated anti-battleship capship, and an battleship.

I'm not looking for an explanation as to why that happend, but I'm also saying that the power of the swarm should never be underestimated 8)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »

Damn I love the look of these ships.

Not sure which ones are more beautiful, these or those of the Tri fleet.

PLEASE MAKE MORE!!!!  :o

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

@Archduke Astro: Soon enough, everybody will understand reason behind battleships ;)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4