Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Independent suddenly go hostile?  (Read 12461 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Independent suddenly go hostile?
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »

So I was at a system far from main living sector, doing survey and salvages.
I ran into two "Scavenger" fleet, both with quite big size.
Suddenly they just start fighting each other, one of them turned red.
I thought, oh maybe it's actually a pirate with false flag, so I helped out the gray one.
After winning the battle, the lost fleet escaped GRAY and the one I helped turned RED and attacked me.

Fleet wipeD, load game.

I was like WTF?
What happened there exactly?
Are they so greedy that they are willing to rob just everyone around when noone ELSE is around?

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Independent suddenly go hostile?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »

Are they so greedy that they are willing to rob just everyone around when noone ELSE is around?

Yes, they're filthy scavengers. They cant be trusted. They'll scavenge you if they think they can take you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »

That's actually exactly it. They're not *all* bad, though - you just happened on a fight between two that were.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »

um, so what is this

He's an ... um ... pirate, right?
But if I turn on the transponder, I immediately receive -130 rep to independence...

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »

A bug, fixed for 0.8.1a :)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »

Due to the decentralized nature of the independent, it shouldn't be possible for a single negative event (like the pirate scavenger attacking you due to being a pirate, an event that also happened to me and wasted over 50 rep in handed in AI cores) to be all that detrimental to a players reputation.

I'd put a fixed negative value of like 5 or 10 if you find yourself in trouble with a indy fleet
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:06:36 AM by Embercloud »

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:56:47 AM »

I like it that they sometimes make their own derbies fields and target you. It can be a bit of a bad surprise if you don't know that transponder swapping is possible for the AI though, especially on Iron Man. Lost once most of my fleet this way. Still thought it was neat.  ;D

But they really shouldn't be able to turn grey (and invincible) again after outing themselves as pirates.

My only other complaint is that something similar is not possible for the player. Even with transponder off you will still get negative rep. Maybe just flat out reduce rep penalties far away from the core worlds. "What happens in the outer reaches stays in the outer reaches."
Or introduce a witness mechanic outside the core worlds. If nobody lives to tell the tale you lose no rep at all. 

Also I agree with Embercloud, Independent mechanics should work a bit differently. To encourage some casual piracy!   

DMinatrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »

I like it that they sometimes make their own derbies fields and target you. It can be a bit of a bad surprise if you don't know that transponder swapping is possible for the AI though, especially on Iron Man. Lost once most of my fleet this way. Still thought it was neat.  ;D

But they really shouldn't be able to turn grey (and invincible) again after outing themselves as pirates.

My only other complaint is that something similar is not possible for the player. Even with transponder off you will still get negative rep. Maybe just flat out reduce rep penalties far away from the core worlds. "What happens in the outer reaches stays in the outer reaches."
Or introduce a witness mechanic outside the core worlds. If nobody lives to tell the tale you lose no rep at all. 

Also I agree with Embercloud, Independent mechanics should work a bit differently. To encourage some casual piracy!   

I like the idea of the no witnesses, especially since relays and stuff only work so far out (like the range you get bounty payments and event updates) so it'd be nice if you could make a habit of tailing scavengers or stuff until they're out of range of the core worlds then pouncing.  It'd be a fringe mechanic and maybe not the most applicable to all play styles, but it would be neat if it was a feasible change.
Hegemony: Lawful Neutral
Tri-Tachyon: Lawful Evil
Luddic Path: Chaotic Evil
Persean League: Neutral Good
Luddic Church: Lawful Good
Pirates: Neutral Evil
Independents: Neutral

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

I haven't really run into this but I feel like this would be a good mechanic to be the AI equivalent of other fleets seeing that you've ordered your fleet to intercept them & know well enough to run and then avoid you after you click on them, IE an independent fleet that chooses to pirate you individually (ie not as a result of your relations with the independents faction) turn red the instant they set an intercept course with you
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Etgfrog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

I could more see it being useful for doing something like sitting in a nebula between systems with gone dark then jumping convoys that pass. It would be something like attacks would send out a 5000 range distress ping that if its in range of a patrol, station or jump point with a comm relay inside then standings would get hit.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:12:56 AM »

I like the idea of the no witnesses, especially since relays and stuff only work so far out (like the range you get bounty payments and event updates) so it'd be nice if you could make a habit of tailing scavengers or stuff until they're out of range of the core worlds then pouncing.  It'd be a fringe mechanic and maybe not the most applicable to all play styles, but it would be neat if it was a feasible change.

I never tried it, but I always thought this was exactly how it was supposed to work. Strange that it's not.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:27:43 AM »

if you leave no witness and fleet is outside FTL relay range, no action should affect reputation, ever if transponder is on, it's simply nobody to tell the tale about your crimes.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »

if you leave no witness and fleet is outside FTL relay range, no action should affect reputation, ever if transponder is on, it's simply nobody to tell the tale about your crimes.
Black boxes and distress beacons
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »

Black boxes and distress beacons
You can just physically destroy the black box and beacons simply doesn't tell a story.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »

most games like this you cant avoid the consequences of your actions.  it becomes too easy for the player.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!
Pages: [1] 2