Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are you mid game fleet composition suggestions?  (Read 9656 times)

NinjaPirate

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Mr. G Plays
What are you mid game fleet composition suggestions?
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »

I've gotten bored of salvage missions and have finally accepted a Hegemony commission. 

My current fleet consists of:
Hammerhead- 3x Drovers- Salvage Rig- 2x small fuel tankers - 2x tugs

I'm trying to keep a relatively low maintenance fleet that can still take on fair bit of fleets.

Here was my first experiences of faction warfare:
https://youtu.be/nbOjD8dzTec
Feel free to make fun of my bad gameplay here at Mr. G Plays
http://www.youtube.com/c/MrGPlays

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What are you mid game fleet composition suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »

That's a lot of support ships for only a few war ships.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »

Carriers seem to have the best performance for their cost; get more carriers.  Talons are versatile and overpowered for their cost.  It is okay, probably a good idea to throw in some direct combat ships, but carriers will do the heavy lifting.

I am in the midgame phase.  I had to choose either Eagle or Heron as many next flagship upgrade.  Did a solo test in the simulator.  Against multiple frigates, the Eagle died, but the Heron with Talon wings picked them off one-by-one.  Against a cruiser, Heron soloed the fight faster than the Eagle.  Against a capital, well... both died fast.

Hammerhead is a good ship now.  If it is a throwaway clunker, even better.  Just put some low-grade but effective weapons on it, send it to the front line.  If it lives, fine.  If it dies... it was a clunker, more where they came from.

EDIT:  Okay, I misunderstood the post.  It is merely a journal post.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:18:54 AM by Megas »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »

i skip a dram and jump straight to a pheaton ....... its the same speed and same fuel use but cheaper supplies so why not?

currently running 1 medusa, 1 enforcer, 1 drover, 2 SO lashers (for pursuit) 1 wolf, 2 pirate mules, 1 pheaton.

thinking about adding a 3rd mule, still not enough storage :(

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:49:37 AM »

I'm still on drams because of how sensor profile's work. The civilian hullmod doubles the sensor profile, but as long as you have 5 ships of size destroyer or larger, additional drams won't increase your total sensor profile. The Phaeton gets doubled to capital size profile.

There aren't very many fleets that are a threat to a player fleet with 5 destroyers, but its just habit at this point to try to maintain an intelligence advantage.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »

XIV themed mid-game battlegroup (no legion nor onslaught yet). What's interesting here that funnily enough the most often used, most versatile and indispensable here turned out to be... Those 4 hegemony Kite's I'm using as screen for 4 wolfs or as fast picket ships chasing down vulnerable targets. That group is 8 fleet-slots combined but I don't see myself ever getting rid of them. Especially that Kite's are with reinforced bulkheads (+unstable injector and hardened subsystems) so I can loose them - no problem. I'll recover them after battle, if needed take out spare weapons from storage and keep on using them till I get back to core worlds to restore them to peak condition which is dirt cheap in comparison to other ships.

All my support ships ran on insulated engines and unstable injectors rather than with survey equipment (and hey, it's still absurdly easy to score a 1kk paycheck) while my combat ships - depends. All carriers do, some of the frigates. Almost all ships are on hardened subsystems and notably Kite's are with unstable injectors so they're reaching absurd speed's on full deployments (thanks to Cord.Man. skill). All destroyers and cruisers (with exception of the flagship Eagle) are also max armored to the point it amuses me to watch enforcers dueling multiple opponents up to the cruiser size (officers on them have all of the durability skills).

With sensory skills and just swapping few flux conduits for insulated engines I can actually S-burn 20 and have lower sensory profile than strength of my own ones lol (I do not however). I can even sneak with this thing  so well that pirate frigates usually will end up in combat range despite trying E-burn to avoid.

Anyway, I think that so far I got a nice solid mix of ships to go by. Only downside - they eat a lot of fuel despite -25% skill to it's consumption :o

As for your vid. You need some practice, but perhaps putting on some sabot's instead of 2 reaper torpedoes would be better?

Edit: Och, but the ventures here are from Venture (A) mod, just fyi.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:59:38 AM by Hussar »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »

XIV themed mid-game battlegroup (no legion nor onslaught yet). What's interesting here that funnily enough the most often used, most versatile and indispensable here turned out to be... Those 4 hegemony Kite's I'm using as screen for 4 wolfs or as fast picket ships chasing down vulnerable targets. That group is 8 fleet-slots combined but I don't see myself ever getting rid of them. Especially that Kite's are with reinforced bulkheads (+unstable injector and hardened subsystems) so I can loose them - no problem. I'll recover them after battle, if needed take out spare weapons from storage and keep on using them till I get back to core worlds to restore them to peak condition which is dirt cheap in comparison to other ships.

All my support ships ran on insulated engines and unstable injectors rather than with survey equipment (and hey, it's still absurdly easy to score a 1kk paycheck) while my combat ships - depends. All carriers do, some of the frigates. Almost all ships are on hardened subsystems and notably Kite's are with unstable injectors so they're reaching absurd speed's on full deployments (thanks to Cord.Man. skill). All destroyers and cruisers (with exception of the flagship Eagle) are also max armored to the point it amuses me to watch enforcers dueling multiple opponents up to the cruiser size (officers on them have all of the durability skills).

With sensory skills and just swapping few flux conduits for insulated engines I can actually S-burn 20 and have lower sensory profile than strength of my own ones lol (I do not however). I can even sneak with this thing  so well that pirate frigates usually will end up in combat range despite trying E-burn to avoid.

Anyway, I think that so far I got a nice solid mix of ships to go by. Only downside - they eat a lot of fuel despite -25% skill to it's consumption :o

As for your vid. You need some practice, but perhaps putting on some sabot's instead of 2 reaper torpedoes would be better?

I wanna build one of those fleets!

NinjaPirate

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Mr. G Plays
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »

Edit: Och, but the ventures here are from Venture (A) mod, just fyi.

Now that is a nice looking fleet.  Oh and I definitely need some practice.  My combat chops are to put it kindly, "No so good."  I may give this a try.
Feel free to make fun of my bad gameplay here at Mr. G Plays
http://www.youtube.com/c/MrGPlays

Burlap

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »

I'm still on drams because of how sensor profile's work. The civilian hullmod doubles the sensor profile, but as long as you have 5 ships of size destroyer or larger, additional drams won't increase your total sensor profile. The Phaeton gets doubled to capital size profile.

There aren't very many fleets that are a threat to a player fleet with 5 destroyers, but its just habit at this point to try to maintain an intelligence advantage.

I actually have the engine assembly hullmod on my Phaeton for this exact reason, drops its profile down enough to not be in my top 5 ships. That said, with a smaller or less numerous fleet this is a fantastic reason to use a Dram instead, and probably mod it the same way.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »

I must say that sitting in an asteroid field and knee capping any TT fleets as they pass by is amazing.

I have officially built my first high-tech fleet from the spoils of war! I even got an Astral carrier!

All that with my Hegmeony commission, so I'm getting paid to loot! Waaagh!

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »

Now that is a nice looking fleet.  Oh and I definitely need some practice.  My combat chops are to put it kindly, "No so good."  I may give this a try.

Thank you. You won't be assaulting battlestations with this (barely scratched the one with officer so) but you could tackle everything that's not having more than one battleship or... an astral :F

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »

i skip a dram and jump straight to a pheaton ....... its the same speed and same fuel use but cheaper supplies so why not?

currently running 1 medusa, 1 enforcer, 1 drover, 2 SO lashers (for pursuit) 1 wolf, 2 pirate mules, 1 pheaton.

thinking about adding a 3rd mule, still not enough storage :(

If we're talking early enough in the game that you might have to run away sometimes, Drams are much better than Phaetons at surviving pursuit maps.  It's a pretty big risk upgrading your dedicated support ships to slow destroyers before you are confident that you will have the muscle to at least slow down a larger fleet long enough for them to make an escape.

Extra fun if you lose your tanker in this fashion while deep out in the frontier.