Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Massive disparity between combat vs non-combat EXP gain.  (Read 17890 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: Massive disparity between combat vs non-combat EXP gain.
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »

Yea. If you increase the game speed too much, projectiles sometimes ignore shields. Did not expect that at all.
I guess it uses points for collision instead of lines? So each tick it moves forward, and happened to go from in front of the shield to a point not within the arc in a single tick.

At least that is my guess.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2018, 01:32:11 AM »

It was not always like this.  0.65 had food runs, which gave most of your income and levels.  Combat was about 20% of your money and xp income once the player figured out how to complete all food shortages and bounties.  That said, this is not the case anymore.  I get your point, if the fun stuff is not optimal, it kind of stinks; worse if the boring stuff is optimal.  Come to think of it, this is why I dislike the skill system.  The best part - Combat - is not effective enough, and only you can take the fleet and campaign skills.  If you want to be the best, you must play party buffer and let your officers have all of the Combat skill glory.  It is cheaper to get Officer Management than the buff a single pilot-only skill to 3, let alone several.

Maybe the future is to split this up. The ubiquitous "second in command" could be a regular officer sitting on Your ship doing the combat work (an XO) while You sit back and say cliché stuff like "all power to weapons!". This should let You pilot a ship with officer skills at the cost of an officer slot without ramping up needed basic levels. Or just have campaign and Combat XP have different pools, the latter being scaled as suggested, for more specific goals while combat XP is basically kill-count as is now.

(also, I admittedly kind of miss the glory days with a single, totally overloaded system and capture by list screen. I think that was before CR even happened... still have every major release with mods sitting on my HD in case I want to hunt antedeluvians with an overpowered gedune cruiser...)

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 04:18:26 AM »

Maybe the future is to split this up. The ubiquitous "second in command" could be a regular officer sitting on Your ship doing the combat work (an XO) while You sit back and say cliché stuff like "all power to weapons!". This should let You pilot a ship with officer skills at the cost of an officer slot without ramping up needed basic levels. Or just have campaign and Combat XP have different pools, the latter being scaled as suggested, for more specific goals while combat XP is basically kill-count as is now.

(also, I admittedly kind of miss the glory days with a single, totally overloaded system and capture by list screen. I think that was before CR even happened... still have every major release with mods sitting on my HD in case I want to hunt antedeluvians with an overpowered gedune cruiser...)

In naval terminology, it is a flag captain who commands the ship while the admiral commands the fleet. Doesn't fit with Starsector perfectly ofc since the player pilots the ship, but still.

I also sometimes feel nostalgic for 0.54, playing Uomoz's Corvus and so on. I have fond memories of flying into the teeth of Scourge fleets, and brawling so long that my ballistic PD sometimes ran dry, and fighting the scripted invasion/supply fleets from various factions. It was a very different game.
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]