Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: [0.9.1a]STEELCLAD v1.0.25c ( 17.11.2019)  (Read 159060 times)

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a]Ironclads revival - WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 01:31:06 AM »

SectorEntityToken spawnpoint = getSector()..getStarSystems(random).getCenter();   ????

Are you using an IDE for the Java code? If not, IntelliJ is a good free one for Java, really helps figure out what you need to call.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 04:28:07 AM »

SectorEntityToken spawnpoint = getSector()..getStarSystems(random).getCenter();   ????

Are you using an IDE for the Java code? If not, IntelliJ is a good free one for Java, really helps figure out what you need to call.

Actually, I'm editing in Notepad++

EDIT:

Ok, I think I have the AI and Aliens spaww script done.

Now, is there a function to check if a system has asteroids in it?

Also, a function to check who owns the system?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:44:53 AM by TrashMan »

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »

Now, is there a function to check if a system has asteroids in it?
Code
StarSystemAPI system = Global.getSector().getStarSystems().get(...);
if (system.getAsteroids().size() == 0) {
//does not have asteroids
}
else {
//has asteroids
}
Also, a function to check who owns the system?
There isn't really a way to get who owns the system, because no faction technically owns a star system, only a planet/station. Seems like the way it was done before was to add the faction tag to the system via system.addTag("RSF"), and then check with system.hasTag("RSF") and similar.

I'd be happy to look at any code, it's mostly what I'm interested messing around with (along with balance/design stuff).

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:36 AM »

Thanks.

If anyone wants to lend a hand with novel ways of populating/generating system, be my guest.
I guess I could use a semi-random algorithm that checks close systems and adds a faction tag (thus, only the core system of each faction needs to be defined),
then a second pass that populates that system with markets/stations?

Also, I'm going to do this manually, I'll accept any help in making systems.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »

Code
}
else {
//has asteroids
//SOME SPAWNING CODE HERE
}

Unless I'm mistaken this will run a specific code on EVERY system with an asteroid field?

If I add something like this:
Code
Random rnd = new Random();
int rng = rnd.nextInt(8);

if (rng >= 4)
 {
                    CampaignFleetAPI fleet = FleetFactory.createGenericFleet("ROCK", "Beast", 1f, 0);

fleet.getFleetData().sort();
                    FleetFactory.finishAndSync(fleet);

spawn.getContainingLocation().addEntity(fleet);
 }

This should spawn the rock bug fleet in roughly half the sectors that have asteroids?

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »

Code
}
else {
//has asteroids
//SOME SPAWNING CODE HERE
}

Unless I'm mistaken this will run a specific code on EVERY system with an asteroid field?

It depends on how you are getting a StarSystemAPI. If would run the code on every system if you put it in a for each loop. The ... I put in the get() isn't valid java, I wasn't sure exactly what you were planning, and if you were trying to do something like pick a random system and check if it has asteroids, or if you had a specific system in mind. StarSystemAPI also inherits from LocationAPI, so it is also your spawn. Putting it all together, so that each time the code runs, it will spawn a rock fleet in an average of 50% of systems that have asteroids (I hope):

Code
Random rnd;
for (StarSystemAPI system : Global.getSector().getStarSystems()) {
    }
    else {
        //has asteroids
        if (rnd.nextInt(8) >= 4) {
            CampaignFleetAPI fleet = FleetFactory.createGenericFleet("ROCK", "Beast", 1f, 0);
            fleet.getFleetData().sort();
            FleetFactory.finishAndSync(fleet);
            system.getContainingLocation().addEntity(fleet);
        }
    }
}

Also, not sure if you want to continue this through PMs, either continuing to post here or PMs works for me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:27:04 PM by Pushover »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 01:20:45 AM »

I have been thinking of two ways to do this:

1)
- Let normal sector generation get done
- Add the fixed core systems of each faction (placed in their respective quadrants, X/Y axis)
- make a distance check from core faction sector, and assign systems in vicinity to that faction (give faction tag), within a certain radius
- add markets and stations

2)
Make all faction systems manually

While I PROBABLY could get no1 done, with my coding skills it would be ready somewhere around the heat death of the universe. :P

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 02:43:01 AM »

I think a lot of the code still exists from what Okim made. What you are describing is pretty much exactly what Okim did. If you look in IroncladsModPlugin.java, the code currently:
1) Generates 100 systems in a 10x10 grid shape, adding a little random x and y values to make the stars not perfectly aligned to a grid.
2) Generates planets, stations, moons, etc. through Okim's SystemComposer class. A faction and a 'menace' is assigned to each system based on its x and y location. This appears to be mostly for figuring out which derelict ships to spawn. With 0.8 this may be unneeded.
3) Generates hyperspace entrances automatically through a call to autogenerateHyperspaceJumpPoints()
3) Tags planets and moons with things like "food," "arid," "ore," and/or "gas" for later. The more 'ideal' worlds (terran, water, jungle, etc) get a "colonized" tag, less 'ideal' worlds (molten, barren, etc) get an "outpost" tag.
4) Sets a number of planets for each faction to own, and then goes through and picks random "colonized" planets to become planets colonized by the faction, based on location, then does the same for "outpost" planets. Some randomly selected planets that haven't been taken already become pirate bases.
5) Adds markets/conditions to each planet that has been colonized.

I can try writing/rewriting a lot of this, but I'm not sure of how I would actually test to see if it works... I suppose I might be able to set something up to override the vanilla sector generation, but that's where my lack of experience modding comes in...

Alex has a much more complicated version of this currently running to generate the non-core worlds.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »

I'm not sure what code/function changes are made for 0.8a, so I'm not even sure how much of the old code is usable.
Heck, I'm not even sure the fleet spawner script will work (until I get the systems, I can't test it either way), since the move has been made to FleetSpawnerV2 or something.

As for testing, I can easily make everything I currently make available, which at this point should be everything but system generation.
I'm manually making a few planets just to test it, but I expect a LOT of bugs and typos.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »

Progress Report:

- made the systems, made a bunch of stuff, including new stations, new illustrations and music.

- Currently testing (already squashed about 70 bugs, half in the original Ironclads)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 02:14:37 AM »

Don't hate me guys, but I forgot to copy over the new files on my USB.

See, over the weekends I work on my PC and for the rest of the week I'm in another town and work on my laptop.
Made a LOT of progress over the weekend, but the files are left behind on my PC.

In other words, progress is pretty much frozen until Friday. :P
But for some good news, pretty much everything that's necessary for the mod to work is done. All that's really left is fixing bugs and bad code.

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »

RIP

Hilarious fails aside, is it balanced Okay, I fondly remember a medium energy PD that did damage to Russian destroyer armor. If you know what weapon I'm talking about, how does that balance with vanilla
May the fry be with you.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »

Given that I still haven't manage to start up the mod (was fixing start-up errors just before I left), I can't tell you that yet.

I have to get the mod working first, balancing comes next.
That said, I haven't touched the default Ironclads values.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 01:25:17 AM »

What are your longer term plans with regards to Ironclads? Sounded like you are planning on adding VNS (you might want to give some background on them as a faction--what's their theme, how do they fight, what do they want?). What else did you have planned?

What are your thoughts on the current balance of Ironclads? Thoughts on every faction's theme?

My comments/opinions on Ironclads before 0.7/0.8:
  • I think it would be better to have more ships with different ship systems (giving the Kursk Mk3 accelerated ammo feeder, for example) rather than having all the ships in the faction have the same ship system.
  • It feels like the XLE are really lacking in a theme, since they are good at fighting things in front of them, making them good 1v1 ships. Their ship system of active flares falls too close to the RSF's flares, and the built-in augmented engines also provides extra armor, again starting to overlap with the RSF. They have beams, but every faction has quite a number of them.
  • The UIN have a 'broadside' design to their ships, but their weapons don't really support that plan. They also have some incredibly useless ballistic weapons that need buffs. I think they could double down on the 'broadside' feel, with an almost Age of Sail style. Mix some long range kinetic/EMP harassment weapons with close range brawling weapons. Building up soft flux quickly isn't an issue when you can flip the Fortress Shields on and drop it. They have unique energy weapons, which I really like.
  • The ISA have probably too many things going for them. They have a fighter focus, a missile focus, and somewhat of an energy weapon focus, especially on the larger ships. The Hornet spam could easily wipe out most fleets at long range, on top of having some of the best fighters in the game. They also had the best destroyers in the game. I think the fighter focus fits them, and they could have strong torpedoes to fit on their strike craft and ships, but the missile part isn't necessary for them.
  • The RSF feel the most 'together,' since they really sell on their themes of armor and ballistics. I almost would like to see the missile focus move from the ISA to the RSF, especially give the slight historical nods between factions (carriers for ISA, fighter names, so why not missile cruisers/ships for RSF?).
  • I like ammo being a consideration when fitting ballistic weapons, but I think the 0 flux ballistics make balancing the game very difficult. 0 flux ballistics lead to stuffing the highest DPS weapon (both ballistic and energy) in whatever slot you can, especially on the energy slots for RSF ships. Combined with ammo, there should be enough balancing points to really make weapons feel like they belong to a faction. RSF weapons can have high ammo, high capacity, and very high flux generation, since they don't care about flux for their lack of shields. ISA weapons can have low capacity but reload quickly, so that they are a skirmishing faction, (move in with a fighter wing, back out when the wing dies) etc.
  • The combat could be a little slower by reducing the damage of all weapons. This might be a reflection of the 0 flux ballistics, since with a short ranged ship, you will often be dead before you can close to your own weapons range. Right now, range is king. The only close range ship that works beyond the earlygame is probably the Illinois, which is just super overpowered.
  • Frigates could use a buff in general. They typically are dead as soon as a cruiser looks at them funny, and it's incredibly hard to win vs any destroyer with a frigate or two.
  • Burn speed needs to be updated. A flat +4 to all ships would bring everything back in line with vanilla. Otherwise the AI will never catch a player who has sustained burn.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 03:22:38 AM »

VNS - small faction, kinda like FFS. Balanced performance, with a mix of new high-tech, expensive ships and modified older standard designs. Not the best ships for long-range travel due to being design more for local defense.

Plans?
Not sure. Aside from adding faction music and faction portraits, just tweaks. Will probably see if I can get some more faction stuff made, like custom stations for each faction. Definitely more ship variants.
 Thinking of making a one lore change - the last Federation dreadnought survived, but horribly damaged, and can be found in RSF space. Or something similar. Basically a way for the player to get it. It's a shame for it to be only in the simulator.

Once the mod is out, if you want to make balance adjustments, I can incorporate them, or make them available as an extra option - it's simple enough to do for ships and weapons.

That said, with all the fighter changes in 0.8, I think carriers will need the most consideration.
You do make very good points. And RSF are kings...ROCKET kings. They have best rockets IIRC.

Aside form a few, all hullmods will be retunred to vanila
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31