Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starsector wikia  (Read 13263 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Starsector wikia
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:39:37 AM »

I wasn't the one who did the new ship info boxes, so I can't help with any coding specifics at this particular moment unfortunately.
But if it works, sure, implement it! (If it turns out to not work, it can always be reverted, after all.)

Images are slowing me down.  Hullmods & ships have single images in the game files and I've got that down OK.  Weapons and such look like they are multiple images that need to be layered together? My rudimentary MS Paint skills aren't going to suffice here; what's a good way to do it?
For ballistic/energy weapons with multiple parts, you can just paste the turret part images on each other in order; they have the same size and center.
e.g.

Missile weapons are trickier, since the missiles require manual placement and (particularly annoying) can have half-pixel offsets. This is why I haven't done most of them.
My current plan: upsize the launcher and missile sprites with waifu2x, paste the missiles on to the launchers, then shrink the final image.

What's the policy on spoiler information in the wiki? Spoiler banner warnings at the top?
I don't think we have an actual policy. Until one is decided on, a banner is a logical enough way to do it at least!

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »

I've added weapon images for all weapons except the pods. (but I kept the missile-less Pilum, because I couldn't get the version with missiles to look like it does ingame)

Also made a new version check template that takes a version arg, because it seemed to me that this would remove the silly need to make a new template every version.
But then I realized the old way makes it easy to find which pages need updating (using the special page that finds all pages using a given template).
(But Wikia seems to not have that special page readily accessible anyway; at least, I can't find the link.)
So, what would be best?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »

I mean the tables that have all the links to the various weapons/ships.

http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Odyssey

Scroll down a bit after you go to the link above and you'll see the tables I'm talking about (no particular reason I linked the Odyssey).

NavBoxes :) I'll get on it.

Edit: like this? http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ships

Ah, yeah that is exactly it, thank you! Weapons has a "NavBox" too so if you could give the "Weapons" link the same treatment I'd say that's two major improvements to the wiki's navigability!

EDIT: Btw, there is a missing "-" between the Mudskipper MK.II and the Omen in that NavBox.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:56:06 AM by Dri »

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »

I've added weapon images for all weapons except the pods. (but I kept the missile-less Pilum, because I couldn't get the version with missiles to look like it does ingame)

Also made a new version check template that takes a version arg, because it seemed to me that this would remove the silly need to make a new template every version.
But then I realized the old way makes it easy to find which pages need updating (using the special page that finds all pages using a given template).
(But Wikia seems to not have that special page readily accessible anyway; at least, I can't find the link.)
So, what would be best?

Cheers for the weapon images :)

I recommend keeping the version specific template.  We would preference a dynamic version template if we were only updating information by the patch notes; whatever is in the patch notes is solely what changes and the game data is not checked 

I recommend the other approach, of using the patch notes but also hard verifying data against the actual game data.  The knowledge base is only as good as the confidence in its accuracy, with relatively small discrepancies causing a relatively large drop in confidence.  Hard verification is more effort but a much more valuable wiki 

When minor updates drop we can update the version specific template to indicate that only a minor change has occurred and to check the patch notes, until the pages are hard verified & updated to the newer version specific template.  This enables the minimum time frames for inaccurate data being misrepresented as accurate

As a side note any potential verification automation makes it a more attractive choice.  Also Alex is oddly on the ball with accurate patch notes.  Maybe not odd at all for Alex, actually but definitely way above par.  The Atropos damage is the sole major discrepancy I could find and I am actively hunting for them

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »

Ah, yeah that is exactly it, thank you! Weapons has a "NavBox" too so if you could give the "Weapons" link the same treatment I'd say that's two major improvements to the wiki's navigability!

EDIT: Btw, there is a missing "-" between the Mudskipper MK.II and the Omen in that NavBox.

Added Ship NavBox to top of Ships category page http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ships
Added Weapon NavBox to top of Weapons category page http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons
Added missing separating character between Mudskipper MK.II and Omen for Ship NavBox

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »

The ship info box change I discussed has been implemented. Nothing appears to be broken, yet.
Edit: Except the colours needed to be reversed, because lower recovery costs are a boon :)

Please let me know if you see ships that have altered recovery costs and the modifier is not in it's standard (orange for negative) colour.  Probably any D mod ships that I've updated before now.  I'll try to catch them all

What is the best way to deal with the Construction Rig changing into the Salvage Rig?
Rename & alter the Construction Rig page or brand new Salvage Rig page?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:45:55 PM by TheWetFish »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »

Great work, dude! In just the few days that you've been active things have really been polished up.

I know diddlysquat about editing wikis and stuff so sorry I can't help with technical stuff.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »

Great work, dude! In just the few days that you've been active things have really been polished up.

I know diddlysquat about editing wikis and stuff so sorry I can't help with technical stuff.

Happy to help  :)

Pointing stuff out is actually super useful and a big help.  I can do the technical stuff ok (apparently) but knowing what stuff to edit and generating content is also very important

All player ships should now be completely updated. 

I'll take a little break and then in some order; ship systems, hullmods, fighters and [REDACTED]

At some point the pages for the new gameplay mechanics and content like that will need to be generated

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »

Frigate to Cruiser sized Derelict Drones & Remnant Droneships have been added.  Not linked in anywhere just yet.  Should we perhaps add them into the Faction page?
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3ADerelict_Drone
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category%3ARemnant_Droneship

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »

I figure they can go into the ship navbox (add "Derelict" and "Remnant" categories in addition to the current Frigates/Destroyers/etc.)
Just knowing that there are such things as Derelicts and Remnants, and the names of their ships, isn't enough of a spoiler to worry about... I think?
(If it is, put them under a show/hide button)

Later, when the Derelicts and Remnants get their own faction pages, the ships could be linked from there as well.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »

I figure they can go into the ship navbox (add "Derelict" and "Remnant" categories in addition to the current Frigates/Destroyers/etc.)
Just knowing that there are such things as Derelicts and Remnants, and the names of their ships, isn't enough of a spoiler to worry about... I think?
(If it is, put them under a show/hide button)

Later, when the Derelicts and Remnants get their own faction pages, the ships could be linked from there as well.

http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Template:ShipNavbox

Oh also the Wayfarer got some love.  It's surprisingly capable against pirates once the arc issue is known
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Wayfarer

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 04:19:35 AM »

Updated/tweaked various pages, and added some new content. New pages are:

AI Cores
Derelicts
Persean League
Remnants

Note: No spoiler tags yet

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »

Updated/tweaked various pages, and added some new content. New pages are:

AI Cores
Derelicts
Persean League
Remnants

Note: No spoiler tags yet

Very nice!

Should consider adding to the AI Cores page that TriTachyon has the highest credit payout value at 300% and AI core have significant usage for swaying relations with different factions

I've added links from the derelict & remnant ships category pages to the faction pages, to tie it all together.  

Do you want spoiler tags? This will work in most places;
<div class="mw-collapsible mw-collapsed" data-expandtext="REDACTED" data-collapsetext="ABORT" >
Here be content
</div>

- - -
And here is some commented code for those playing along at home, because learning can be Fun and I sure had a lot of horrible mistakes fun learning all of this;

<!-- Start a Div container & header.  Settings are defined within the header and applied to content within the container.  This header is unclosed, open ended -->
<div

<!-- start a class, to define the settings to apply -->
class="

<!-- The content will be collapsible -->
mw-collapsible

<!-- The collapsable content will initially be collapsed -->
mw-collapsed

<!-- close up the classes, start defining extra data for them -->
"

<!-- define custom expand text, default is "Expand" -->
data-expandtext="REDACTED"

<!-- define custom collapse text, default is "Collapse" -->
data-collapsetext="ABORT"

<!-- Settings are now defined, so close up the Div header -->
>

<!-- Content.  Finally. -->
Here be content.

<!-- End this Div container, the settings from this container stop applying after this point -->
</div>

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 02:12:06 AM »

OK, Fighter template is done.  Any comments would be timely; I'll be putting data in shortly.

In particular it includes a bunch of data that isn't available in-game such as attack run ranges.  I've set it collapsed until mouse-over for now but happy to hear other opinions on it

In retrospect it would be best to edit the main ship template to accept 0.8a fighter data and use a unified template for everything but I'm quite keen to get the fighter data in.  Fairly easy to change templates later if or when that gets done

Also, I want to do the bigger, multi-part ships next.  My current thinking is a large page for each one, with multiple ship info boxes for each part.  Any better ideas greatly appreciated

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »

Fighters are in.
All fighters should be in and up to date, including [REDACTED] fighters.
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fighter

Hullmods are in. 
All hull mods should now be in there and every ship should have it's hull mods link to the relevant pages.
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hullmods

Yell at me if I've missed anything (except for the graphic for no weapon flux, as that one doesn't exist yet)
Pages: 1 [2] 3