Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: (by request) [experimental minimod] - Talon Rebalance v1.0  (Read 4047 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
(by request) [experimental minimod] - Talon Rebalance v1.0
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »

By request
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11926.0

a 5 minute minimod that changes like 3 numbers. This gives talon swarmer missiles limited ammo capacity and reduces their burst size to single shot. The goal of this change is to dramatically reduce the talon's ability to maintain pressure on armored targets while maintaining (for the most part) their ability to take part in dogfights. The change in burst size also reduces their ability to overwhelm ship PD's and should result in lower survivability around larger ships.

google drive download link
mmm.... tartiflette

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (by request) [experimental minimod] - Talon Rebalance v1.0
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »

By request
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11926.0

a 5 minute minimod that changes like 3 numbers. This gives talon swarmer missiles limited ammo capacity and reduces their burst size to single shot. The goal of this change is to dramatically reduce the talon's ability to maintain pressure on armored targets while maintaining (for the most part) their ability to take part in dogfights. The change in burst size also reduces their ability to overwhelm ship PD's and should result in lower survivability around larger ships.

google drive download link

Wow. What a difference. Just a few tests in and its dramatic. With fewer missiles, PD is focusing on the Talons and, perhaps most importantly, the AI isn't absolutely freaking out all the time and trying to spin/distance itself. The issue I see now is that the Talons don't go back to re-arm themselves. The only Talons with missiles are those that get replaced. Surprisingly, after a few more tests, it felt like we went too far.

I tried taking the ammo out (i.e. regenerating missiles as before), but left the Swarmer to 1/volley and increased the cooldown to 7 seconds from 5. It felt pretty good and kept pressure up but so many more Talons were dying to PD due to the lower number of missiles. Limited ammo might have been just a touch too far. Just by decreasing Swarmers from 2 to 1, you've halved their "real" damage.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:38:07 AM by FooF »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »

This is what Meso suggested a while back on the Talon thread, and I approved of it.  Maybe limited ammo on the Swamer is a going a bit far (since that really only might last for one very short engagement).  I approved of it, and now that we know it actually works well, hopefully this kind of stuff will make it into the vanilla game.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:58:24 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »

The only change I plan on making in SS+ is reducing the talon swarmer to a burst of 1 instead of 2.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »

Hmm, my test Drover ( http://imgur.com/a/Z0Vep officerless) still wins against SIM Aurora. Fights are longer and closer, but... It also still destroys 2 SIM tempests.

So yes, it is weaker, especially so against PD heavy and armored targets. And even frigates see significant life length improvement against nerfed Talons. But ultimately Talons win.

Though at this point it seems to be more of an AI issue. It should push through fighter stream more actively, once initial wave is over.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:23:39 AM by TaLaR »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

simulator battles, according to alex, is not an accurate gauge of carrier effectiveness as there's no admiral AI and they cannot order "full assault" as they should in a real battle
mmm.... tartiflette

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »

As PCCL alluded, if that simulator aurora was given an eliminate order, the drover would be screwed.  Just saying.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »

This is what Meso suggested a while back on the Talon thread, and I approved of it.  Maybe limited ammo on the Swamer is a going a bit far (since that really only might last for one very short engagement).  I approved of it, and now that we know it actually works well, hopefully this kind of stuff will make it into the vanilla game.

Just to be clear, the only change I suggested was a 1 shot burst for the missile instead of 2. I don't think the ammo should be limited, or any other changes to the weapons of the Talon for that matter.