Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Stories Behind Names/Avatars.  (Read 5636 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Stories Behind Names/Avatars.
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »

So, fellow Starfaring Captains, what is the story behind your names/avatars?

For mine, it was first a thought process after witnessing the Irradiation Cascade ability from the Hierachy's Science Walker from Universe At War : Earth Assault.

Imagine a mobile superweapon emitting such a high level of radiation in a wave that it irradiates even metal itself when it sweeps over said metal. Not even the Masari were safe from it, and since the Hierachy seem to live with Radiation and it heals them, it's essentally like the Miasma from Toukiden 2, but weaponised (now that I think about it).

Seeing it was called the Irradiation Cascade, I took the "Cascade" part, and spliced it with another feature, which relates to my Xbox years (AkridViper, mainly named after the Akrids from Lost Planet, especially the Gorechryatis, since that was also an Akrid, with Vipers being a species of snake). This name, for the period I was known as for the time being was CascadeFreak, which I still use to this day.

Then, after seeing the movie, Project Viper (a movie aired on the Sci-Fi channel, now known as SyFy), I decided to then make the name "ProjektCascade" (I had no idea Projekt was also a different translation of Projekt at the time, so it caught me by suprise when someone responded in German to me).

Then I played Zero-K and that's where I discovered Tachyon from, because of the Tachyon Projectors and their massive burst damage, while also being purple (probably violet even!). They even had mobile versions of the Projector turrets on a hover platform, so I used a LOT of those for hitsquad duty. Sadly I wasn't capable of very good micromanagement, so I stopped playing Zero-K, but the Tachyon stayed with me.

This also explains the primary part of my forum name, named after my two favorite things. As for the avatar, they are supposed to be the embodiment of both of those elements (it's plausible that tachyon isn't an element but for the sake of illogicality if it calls for it, I did it anyway), while also having a home in a yet unseen part of the galaxy (it's part of the plot @_@ ).

It's also how I discovered that my favorite colors are mainly in the blue/red spectrum, but a retina searing acid green is always good too ;)

Remember, as long as the colors are good looking to you, or anyone else, all can be good.

Craindre La Kasukedo.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
Re: Stories Behind Names/Avatars.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »

Forced to make a username for an Xbox Live account. Had not really had a name that suited me. I kind of liked raccoons. Inventor Raccoon popped into my head, and eventually I changed all my account names to that. Sounds nice.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »

used to be gunnyfreak, which was a name I had since I was 13, back when I was in my tacticool dudebro callofduty days. First time I created an account under that name was so I could watch restricted videos on youtube (oh wasn't I an edgy one back then  ::) )

slowly grew out of that and wanted a name that's a bit more.... non-descript. Tried the name "Alcrino" for a while but that didn't stick. In a defcon game with friends, in order to anonymize myself, I went with the name PCCL as a random string of letters that sounds like it may be an acronym for something but really holds no meaning, just what I needed.

That was about 1-2 years ago? I think? From then I've been slowly changing my account names where applicable and made all my new accounts under that name. Just made the switch here like last month cuz I remembered that's something you can do on the forum and figured eh, it's time.

The avatar is an onslaught with a double barreled hellbore (you can't really see at this zoom level, but trust me, it's double barreled). One of my many minimods by request I did. Just something representative of what I do that I'm proud of, I guess
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »

Wanted to make a forum account for DMS back in my Men of War days.  I was really young and stupid back then, and "The Soldier" wasn't taken so I used that.

Been like that for more than a decade now.  Probably not gonna change anytime soon.

Avatar was shamelessly pinched from David's coloring of the "Quartermaster" drawing some years ago.  Tweaked the background to make the character in the image pop out more, and voila, my avatar.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:56:50 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

:D

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »

<- changed everyone in the discord channel to the visible role of "Pirate" and changed one particular member I like to antagonize to "Scared Independent Trader"
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »

<- changed everyone in the discord channel to the visible role of "Pirate" and changed one particular member I like to antagonize to "Scared Independent Trader"

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »

I swear there's a thread like this some where here already. Oh well..

The username is one I made for my furry little charter. I had one or two others that I really remember. One that was with me as a toddler was Spikeo, a robotic cat that had spikes for fur that would soften somehow. I was a kid.   Anywho, I made a character after getting into the warrior series of books an got into the furry fandom, so. Thinking of a name, I liked Desmond, had a good ring and was playing the Aztec's in AoEII (age of empires 2) with my twin. Writing something down in a jorunal I kept (and still have) I doodled out my first anthropomorphic drawing and decicded Azmond. It was catchy to me an I like the way it sounds when I say it really is all. Have a few others, but. Since this is my handle here, I generally keep to this name which in some cases has really ended with egg on my face or otherwise interesting encounters when people recognize the name from other places.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »

Man, mine's way less interesting. XD

"Axle" is an anagram of my real name (Alex - omg I share a name with one of the Starsector devs, yes, I know.) and I liked using it for a long time because I like mechanical things, hence why "Axle" as opposed to "Axel".

MC131 came from my addiction to Minecraft. "MC" for Minecraft, and 131 was supposed to be the version I finally made an actual account (1.3.1). Kinda stuck for everything else.

The avatar's new - I needed a logo for my YouTube channel, and it's taken over as my avatar for basically everything. I love consistency.  ;)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »

(English)name + birth date. Because "Aron" is obviously usually taken already and the nickname I use in local community sounds sily in English(reads "Shatter" but carry no particular meaning. IIRC a character name from a novel or something).

I made the avatar by myself.

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »

I'm not actually 100% on the origin of my name.

I'm reasonably sure it comes from the character steve urkel, who's surname I was unfortunately nicknamed when I was 13. I've yet to watch Family Matters so the context is mostly lost on me haha but the name, "ErKeL" comes from that merely because I didn't know how to spell it. Since then even my parents refer to me as erkel so I just roll with it. As far as nicknames go it's alright haha.