Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [linux][0.8a-rc19] fade when navigating station screens is very slow (3~5 fps)  (Read 5144 times)

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

When navigating the station screens, the cross fade when you close a screen (escape) is very slow and kills the frame rate. Over the 2s it takes to do the cross fade, I might get 3-5 frames.

Everything else in the game is locked at 60fps. Using latest AMDGPU  on fury x. Opensuse Tumbleweed. It's just something about that alpha blend...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm. Any newer drivers available? Might be worth trying to run in fullscreen mode (or not), whatever's the opposite of what you're doing, to see if that makes a difference.

This sounds like a driver issue, so it's also possible that tweaking graphics settings in whatever driver configuration utility you've got might help, as well.

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Tumbleweed is rolling release, it has the latest kernel and mesa. There are no config options as it is designed to match the ogl reference implementation - no hacks included :)

Fullscreen has an odd bug whereby it turns off my other 2 monitors. When I play I normally start windowed and then alt-enter to fullscreen.
I've just test fullscreen, windowed and windowed+alt+enter, and it gives the same results. It most prominent exiting from the trade screen.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:46:43 PM by moozaad »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Are you talking about that static like stuff that appears? If so you might try turning that off in the settings file
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It mainly affects going from trade screen to main station menu, show planet info, and also from hyperspace to solar space transition (slowest).

I've tried the following settings without success.

vsync
undecoratedwindow
Use system java (edited launch script to use 64bit 1.8)
forcenovbo
enableUIstaticNoise

I saved a gallium trace of the FPS dip. Those 2 big jumps in draw calls and corresponding fps drops are the transition. Ignore the buffer wait spike, that's just me alt-tabbing.
http://i.imgur.com/5zbBSCc.png

(admin, the upload folder is full. Couldn't attach a 39KB png)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, this just sounds like a driver issue. There's no reason why your video card shouldn't be able to handle some very basic fading in and out. Not sure I can do anything about this :(

(admin, the upload folder is full. Couldn't attach a 39KB png)

Thank you, cleared it out.

Stormking

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Can confirm, got the same bug in fullscreen. Running kubuntu 16.04 x64 on a [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] with the default drivers.
If there's some setting to disable the transitions that'd be great.

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'll file a bug report against MESA/AMDGPU.

Alex, if they need a copy for testing, can I tell them to contact you?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:08:35 AM by moozaad »

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I've uploaded a GL trace to derpbox. This basically lets you replay exactly the same OGL draw calls. There's a number of errors that only occur during transitions that maybe the cause of the issue. I've also appended this to the Mesa bug report.

http://apitrace.github.io/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8do4s47w77uaow/java.trace?dl=0

Main error appears to be (and lots of duplicates during the transition) :
Frame 1590: 13405525 @2 glEnd()
major api error 2: GL_INVALID_OPERATION in Inside glBegin/glEnd

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm, interesting. On my end, glGetError() is not returning any errors, whether during these transitions or otherwise.

I'm actually surprised that it wouldn't crash, if it's properly reporting the error - an invalid operation between begin/end is in my experience a fatal error.

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

What version of OGL are you targeting, major/minor and the shader language? I'll try forcing that at launch. Willing to try anything at the moment as the slow transition make the game an exercise in patience :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

No shaders, OpenGL 1.4 - i.e. about as barebones as it gets. (I think? It's definitely below 2, whatever it is.)

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Overrides didn't help. Switching to the software rasteriser does solve the issue but also reduces the frame to about 20. I guess I'll have to see if the mesa devs pick it up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Good luck - sorry, that kind of sucks.

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Any chance of having an option to turn off transitions as a workaround? I have no artistic taste, I just want to blow stuff up!  ;)
Pages: [1] 2