Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.8a] Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary Fleet v1.1  (Read 100582 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Hegemony Auxiliary Venture (v1.1)
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »

id guess having the same spawn rate as any other rare ship would be good? Apogee is good baseline for rare cruisers right?

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Hegemony Auxiliary Venture (v1.1)
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

Sadly it's not quite that simple :)

Starsector gives every fleet type a list of ships that can spawn in it, and each of those ships has a separate weight.

That's why you almost never seen a Apogee or a Paragon in a Hegemony fleet - and if you do, it's probably been won in battle.

It also means that the Venture(a) can be more or less rare depending on what type of fleets you're looking at.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Hegemony Auxiliary Venture (v1.2)
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »

So I did an evening of playtesting (and playing, really) and thought the rarity is ok. There's really nothing more I'd like to add to this mod so don't expect another update for a while (if I do Mule and Shepard, they would likely be separate minimods).

That said though, there are some fixes I was holding on to thanks to Darloth, so I'm gonna put this out as v1.2, likely the final version.

Enjoy the ship everyone!

===== Changelog =====

v1.2 (save game compatible):
- Minor text fixes and file cleanup
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »

Hey PCCL. You'll like this. My first proper encounter with a Venture (A).

Found what must be some abandoned battlefield at the fringe of a dangerous system. Littered with derelict ships and dormant [REDACTED].

Spoiler

[close]

"Hey, that ship there looks like a Venture. I wonder if it's recoverable - I could use the extra cargo space."

Spoiler

[close]

"... HELL YES."

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 01:22:27 AM »

It has insane armour scaling. I recall playing the mission with armour of ~1950, more than normal Onslaught... Normal Venture has respectable armour, but (A)'s armour is overkill-ish.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »

It has insane armour scaling. I recall playing the mission with armour of ~1950, more than normal Onslaught... Normal Venture has respectable armour, but (A)'s armour is overkill-ish.

It's a side-effect of the Hegemony Militarized Auxiliary hullmod. +35% armour for cruiser-sized vessels.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 04:36:25 AM »

This is true. I found It ok in playtesting because the armour is kinda all its got going for it in battle. It's also an interesting experience fighting with something this.... Useless (for a cruiser) that also nothing can touch

I will tune it down a tad if it turns out too much, but imo right now it's ok
mmm.... tartiflette

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 03:03:46 AM »

This is true. I found It ok in playtesting because the armour is kinda all its got going for it in battle. It's also an interesting experience fighting with something this.... Useless (for a cruiser) that also nothing can touch

I will tune it down a tad if it turns out too much, but imo right now it's ok

I haven't played with this mod yet, but my two cents is that it's a bit ridiculous that a militarized civilian ship somehow ends up having more armor than the most heavily armored vanilla warship, from a lore/in-universe point of view.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »

If you give the venture_A have a -15% armor on its base stats pre-hullmod buff, it brings the venture_A up to the same armor rating as the Dominator, which is explicitly stated in-codex as being the apex of cruiser combat armor. You could even add a little line in the description that mentions this fact, along the lines of "Internal size restrictions mean that up-arming the Venture requires removing some of its less-efficient original armor, but not more than is added by the modernizing upgrade."
Also, since the _A is a standardized upgrade line which you're having to downgrade the base slightly to accommodate for the up-arming bringing it above reason, it would be reasonable to slightly upgrade its engines along with the base downgrade of the armor. Since it's a 15% armor buff that brings the _A class to the Dominator's armor, its base buff could be something to the tune of a 15% burn-speed increase, which with the venture's base of 7, incidentally brings it up to... 8 :) which, if a player wanted to flagship the venture_A and get its fleet to a burn of 9, also implicitly reducing its fuel cost by negating the inherent need for a tug. Which, not needing a tug is in line for a militarized vessel
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »

Do you have any plans of eventually expanding this mod? or will you make a brand new mod with different concepts?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

If you give the venture_A have a -15% armor on its base stats pre-hullmod buff, it brings the venture_A up to the same armor rating as the Dominator, which is explicitly stated in-codex as being the apex of cruiser combat armor. You could even add a little line in the description that mentions this fact, along the lines of "Internal size restrictions mean that up-arming the Venture requires removing some of its less-efficient original armor, but not more than is added by the modernizing upgrade."
Also, since the _A is a standardized upgrade line which you're having to downgrade the base slightly to accommodate for the up-arming bringing it above reason, it would be reasonable to slightly upgrade its engines along with the base downgrade of the armor. Since it's a 15% armor buff that brings the _A class to the Dominator's armor, its base buff could be something to the tune of a 15% burn-speed increase, which with the venture's base of 7, incidentally brings it up to... 8 :) which, if a player wanted to flagship the venture_A and get its fleet to a burn of 9, also implicitly reducing its fuel cost by negating the inherent need for a tug. Which, not needing a tug is in line for a militarized vessel

this is.... not really possible with simple changes to .skin file, as far as I know. I'd love to do something about it if possible though. I'm at work right now so can someone give me a quick rundown on how venture (and by extension venture (A)) armor compares to onslaught and dominator?

The way I see it though, I'm reluctant to play around with the ship beyond adding the hegmilitarized hullmod. A mining ship with enormous armor and barely adequate weaponry seems ok to me in playtesting so far. (You're welcome to mod my mod however you like as well, of course)

Do you have any plans of eventually expanding this mod? or will you make a brand new mod with different concepts?

I'm actually play-testing what I'm calling "Hegemony Auxiliary Expeditionary Fleet" right now which is this ship, Mule (A), and Shepard (A). This ship is definitely a spur of the moment thing and needs some balancing/flavor adjustments so I want to make sure these ships are a bit more..... quality.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, too heavy armor and too little speed does seem to be a theme between these 3 ships. Maybe I'll make a new hullmod for these ships. "Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary" has a nice ring to it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:18:53 AM by PCCL »
mmm.... tartiflette

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »

EDIT: Now that I think about it, too heavy armor and too little speed does seem to be a theme between these 3 ships. Maybe I'll make a new hullmod for these ships. "Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary" has a nice ring to it.
Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary does sound nice. Perhaps your mod could provide similar versions for many salvage ships, giving buffs for logistical and sensor stats, or perhaps extra cargo, fuel and salvage bonuses.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »

this is.... not really possible with simple changes to .skin file, as far as I know. I'd love to do something about it if possible though. I'm at work right now so can someone give me a quick rundown on how venture (and by extension venture (A)) armor compares to onslaught and dominator?

The way I see it though, I'm reluctant to play around with the ship beyond adding the hegmilitarized hullmod. A mining ship with enormous armor and barely adequate weaponry seems ok to me in playtesting so far. (You're welcome to mod my mod however you like as well, of course)

I'm actually play-testing what I'm calling "Hegemony Auxiliary Expeditionary Fleet" right now which is this ship, Mule (A), and Shepard (A). This ship is definitely a spur of the moment thing and needs some balancing/flavor adjustments so I want to make sure these ships are a bit more..... quality.

So that would be the sort of change that would be better suited as a second hullmod applied alongside the _A mod. Got it
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary Fleet v1.0 (UPDATE)
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »

reasonably happy with the results so far, so I figured I'd release this before my perfectionism convinces me otherwise, enjoy!  ;D
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Hegemony Expeditionary Auxiliary Fleet v1.0 (UPDATE)
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »

*Polite applause*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7