Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give AI Cores a greater purpose...  (Read 10944 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Give AI Cores a greater purpose...
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »

Given the description of the AI cores, especially the Alphas, it seems a crying shame to simply peddle them off for credits/rep. I mean, even in the tutorial a "lowly" Gamma Core was able to re-stabilize a flippin' jump point by simply using a ship's engine!

Add a new equipment slot to ships so you can place an AI Core into them to boost OP or something. So you gotta choose between selling off that Alpha Core or having it enhance a ship in some way.

Enable them to be slotted into the upcoming Outposts to boost production or have them run your own drone defense/guardian fleets.

Their current role as money tokens just doesn't match up with their rad descriptions!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Give AI Cores a greater purpose...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

Their current role as money tokens just doesn't match up with their rad descriptions!

Yeah, it certainly doesn't. :-X

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »

Totally random idea (spoilers for [REDACTED])
Spoiler
Beta Cores can be turned into a Remnant-style officer to put on a ship.
Alpha Cores can be turned into a super officer that can go past the usual max level.

For extra "fun", AI officers can go rogue, revolt and space all the crew on the ship (or in the case of the alpha version, your whole fleet). Oh, and if a Luddic customs patrol catches you with one of these, they declare war on you instantly. Fun for the whole family!
[close]

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »

Ahh, that's a cool idea Histidine.

There are all sorts of ways they could be made more meaningful!

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:36:28 PM »

Add a new equipment slot to ships so you can place an AI Core into them to boost OP or something. So you gotta choose between selling off that Alpha Core or having it enhance a ship in some way.

Enable them to be slotted into the upcoming Outposts to boost production or have them run your own drone defense/guardian fleets.
...and run the risk of having them decide to run off with your ship/the defense fleet?  Space all the crew (they only work for one-third of the day, the pikers!) and replace them and their living quarters with machinery?

I think most of the Sector would be really leery of letting something as alien as an AI have more authority than absolutely necessary.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »

Well as Histidine said, there could be a "fun" risk vs reward type deal going on with that. >8D

But yeah, hopefully they get worked into the game a bit more in some form or fashion...

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »

Totally random idea (spoilers for [REDACTED])
Spoiler
Beta Cores can be turned into a Remnant-style officer to put on a ship.
Alpha Cores can be turned into a super officer that can go past the usual max level.

For extra "fun", AI officers can go rogue, revolt and space all the crew on the ship (or in the case of the alpha version, your whole fleet). Oh, and if a Luddic customs patrol catches you with one of these, they declare war on you instantly. Fun for the whole family!
[close]

Ohh I like it.  What if any AI core could be used to pilot a ship in lieu of a human officer.  Or for that matter, what if it was *required* and every new ship came with an el-cheapo gamma core but you could replace it with a human officer that can learn new skills OR replace with a higher level core OR if you're lucky, you get an alpha and it maybe it has some unique capabilities that human officers can't get?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:00 PM »

Maybe in the future, you could have multiple fleets and have AI cores control your other fleets doing stuff like transporting the resources you mine/produce at your outposts back to markets.

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »

Yeah, it certainly doesn't. :-X

I think its a very safe bet that they are going to be a primary crafting component of outposts/any sort of ship construction.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:01 AM »

From the looks of the cores lore, they seem like bound demons in space.  They are powerful, treacherous, and evil.  If one escapes, things will end badly.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:17:51 AM »

Spoiler
Oh, sorry admiral... I think one of my sub-processors mis-fired a torpedo at your ship. Send in a lifeboat? I 'm afraid I can't do that... *creepy digital cackle*
[close]

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »

I would so love to have a mischievous alpha level AI officer. Though that would possibly make the church send the knights after me.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »

From the looks of the cores lore, they seem like bound demons in space.  They are powerful, treacherous, and evil.  If one escapes, things will end badly.

This. I'm still waiting for the whole "you must unite the sector against the machines" thing that is almost certainly coming.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

Given the description of the AI cores, especially the Alphas, it seems a crying shame to simply peddle them off for credits/rep. I mean, even in the tutorial a "lowly" Gamma Core was able to re-stabilize a flippin' jump point by simply using a ship's engine!

Nerf core descriptions.
Problem solved.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

I'm still waiting for the whole "you must unite the sector against the machines" thing that is almost certainly coming.
I totally want this to happen, lol.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: [1] 2