Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Favorite ships of 0.8?  (Read 30780 times)

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite ships of 0.8?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »

I haven't had a chance to run some of the newcomers in my fleet yet, notably the Legion, but I think my favorite has to be the Drover.

Small, easy to come by, and understated. It's not a ship that screams powerhouse. With a good officer and pair of fighter wings though, it turns into a tough little bugger. I've lost Medusas, Enforcers, Sunders, Herons, and every variety of frigate I've gotten my hands on. I still have yet to lose a Drover in any fight that wasn't a total loss. With the built in ship system it can field a lot of firepower, and excels at cleaning up small Remnant fleets in short order. I used to manually pilot my flagship in every single fight. In 0.8, more and more often I find myself deploying carriers and destroyers, sitting back and issuing commands from the tactical screen and watching the light show.

I'm cycling all manner of things through my fleet to get a feel for this version, but I strongly suspect that if I start another campaign I might end up with 4-5 Drover based fleet. These things are great.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

I really like the Drover.  Of all the new ships, it's perhaps the biggest bang for the buck.  It brings huge punch to the table due to how fighters get handled, and Steady Captains actually get it into fights, where it does a lot better than you'd think.  

I think the Hammerhead changes aren't bad; it's at least vaguely competitive with the Enforcer now, rather than hugely outclassed; not sure what my final opinion will be when I see what it can do with a leveled character just yet.  

The Tempest is seriously scary, agreed.  
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »

I think the Hammerhead changes aren't bad; it's at least vaguely competitive with the Enforcer now, rather than hugely outclassed; not sure what my final opinion will be when I see what it can do with a leveled character just yet.  
Hard to compete with the OP as hell Enforcer
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »

As always, I love the Sunder - not that it's super relevant to this version. What I love about this version is Colossus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »

At least for the player, Hammerhead can kite things Enforcer cannot.  Hammerhead is good now.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't feel the Enforcer is OP at all now, frankly; the removal of certain Skills pretty much nerfed it back to just being a brick-with-guns.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »

The only thing I find mildly objectionable about the Enforcer is that it can have full Flak coverage without giving up any firepower. But then again its shield is truly truly awful, so it kind of needs them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »

@ Thaago:  Agreed.  If Enforcer is forced to use the shields, it would have problems.  Slow speed and bad shields will hurt.  Hammerhead has a good shield, decent speed, and with points in capacitors and a 360 shield, it is fairly sturdy.  Hammerhead has finally become the Mario of destroyers, and it is probably the best kiting destroyer aside from maybe carriers.  Actually, if not for flak, Enforcer would be inferior to Hammerhead now.

Actually, I might prefer Hammerhead (with Mauler and HVD) to Medusa, because Hammerhead can kite things Medusa cannot.  Maybe.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:17 PM »

Depends what you want to do I guess. A Medusa with a bursty loadout and just zip around the battlefield popping frigate after frigate, but falters against something that can take the hit.

Btw, try Mauler + Needler + 1 light needler. Not quite as good for kiting, but much higher damage potential. That plus ammo accelerator is cruiser level firepower, and the Hammerhead has the flux stats to support it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »

@ Thaago:  I want ships that can punch above their weight, and they cannot do it if outranged and outgunned.  Medusa is good popping small fry as you say.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

It is probably a very good sign that the three iconic destroyers of the different Epochs all have solid arguments for their use and perform well in distinctly different roles.  It's also nice to have the hammerhead performing well again, since it's probably one of the game's most iconic ships (to the extent that Starsector has developed any brand identity).

Phase frigates still feel kind of like cheating.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »

They are limited by CR.
Fighters also hard counter them.
Plus player can catch them in Medusa/Wolf, unless they go full Timid.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »

Yeah, I agree that the combat destroyer are in a really great place. As far as Enforcer goes, Hammerhead can now duel it with the Ammofeed change, and fighters give it a lot of trouble. The Omni-Shield is more a liability when facing fighters, as you don't have the coverage to minimize their damage.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »

Did you find one in the campaign? I'm looking for it all over...

Tri-Tachyon bounties have some high end ships. The one I fought nearly ruined me because it was all shabby (d) hulls up to that point.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:01 PM »

They are limited by CR.
Fighters also hard counter them.
Plus player can catch them in Medusa/Wolf, unless they go full Timid.

Using a phase frigate as a player feels great and works reasonable well from a game design perspective; the fact that you have near-total control over the terms of engagement is grossly overpowered on its face, but the AI can limit their vulnerability with save positioning and you're on a very tight timer to maximize your impact on the battle.  The harsh timer forces you to take risks and play aggressively, which is necessary because there's not really anything the enemy fleet can to do impose danger upon you.

Unfortunately, playing against them tends to be pretty awful because your tools to interact with them are very limited and the normal answer is just to have your fleet cower in a ball (and possibly not deploy any frigates, since they're liable to stray a little bit from the herd and get gibbed) and wait for their CR to run out.  It is a legitimate counter, but goddamn is it not fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6