Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need suggestions for interesting alternate playstyles in 8.0?  (Read 1669 times)

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile

So I've played through most of the available content for 8.0 and its been fun. However, the game has gotten a lot easier and I've really quickly reached end game through exploration. The challenge and difficulties of the previous game are no longer there.

I personally really enjoyed doing high difficulty playthroughs in 7.2, one of my favorite was playing as a pure pirate with hostile faction relations with everyone. I was thinking of maybe doing a pure exploration, scavenger, pirate play through for 8.0, with no access to any trade (the resource manage will be really fun). I don't know how I would set up something like this though. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Need suggestions for interesting alternate playstyles in 8.0?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »

I was thinking of maybe doing a pure exploration, scavenger, pirate play through for 8.0, with no access to any trade (the resource manage will be really fun). I don't know how I would set up something like this though. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can trade survey data to pirates, but you won't get much from it due to low stability, and none of their stations accept AI cores, atleast to my knowledge. I imagine that starting with the Wayfarer and Shepard would be a good start to allow for early exploration, and some of the unsurveyed planets in core worlds have given me class IV data so that could be a early boost in your economy.

Also, when you wrote that you won't have access to any trade, do you mean completely neglecting trade? As in, you will never buy or sell goods? If that's the case I guess you will have to get all your supplies and fuel via battles and salvage from debris field.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:53:17 AM »

List of weird/fun things you can try:

1. Fleet containing only D variants
2. Fleet containing only 1 type of weak combat ship (shuttles, mercury, hermes, kite....)
3. Fleet armed with only thumpers (is it even possible to kill a ship that has decent shields with that?  how about an onslaught?)
4. As mentioned in the previous post, no trading at all.  You get all your weapons, supplies, fuel, and ships from battle/recovering/salvaging.  Maybe include missions if you want, but what do you need money for?
5. Outfit your ship with only rear weapons and fly backwards while fighting.
6. Don't assign any skills to your character
7. Don't use any hull mods on your ships
8. Don't use any vents on your ships

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »

I was thinking of maybe doing a pure exploration, scavenger, pirate play through for 8.0, with no access to any trade (the resource manage will be really fun). I don't know how I would set up something like this though. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can trade survey data to pirates, but you won't get much from it due to low stability, and none of their stations accept AI cores, atleast to my knowledge. I imagine that starting with the Wayfarer and Shepard would be a good start to allow for early exploration, and some of the unsurveyed planets in core worlds have given me class IV data so that could be a early boost in your economy.

Also, when you wrote that you won't have access to any trade, do you mean completely neglecting trade? As in, you will never buy or sell goods? If that's the case I guess you will have to get all your supplies and fuel via battles and salvage from debris field.

I think there's enough resources that a low maintainance, salvage fleet could potentially work in the outer systems. The only issue is that there is no abandoned stations in the outer systems to store extra goods. I could try it in the internal systems, but a lot of potential supply gain comes from derelicts debris not available in the main systems. I wish someone could make a mod where there are stations in the outer systems too, so I can play an outersystem pirate.