Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The ever-present elephant in the room  (Read 6658 times)

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
The ever-present elephant in the room
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »

I am -trying- to be polite.

But I hate that this game can forcibly take control away from you and not let you play it.

I don't -care- that my ship isn't 'combat ready'.

It effectively turns your game into a quicktime event.

Quicktime events are not games. Taking control of the game AWAY FROM THE PLAYER is -never- a good thing.

Alex, I love this game, but you should remove this.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: The ever-present elephant in the room
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »

But I hate that this game can forcibly take control away from you and not let you play it.

Quicktime events are not games. Taking control of the game AWAY FROM THE PLAYER is -never- a good thing.

Are you talking about Combat Readiness (CR)?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »

Huh?

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

Combat readiness is the mechanic I believe, yes.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:36:55 PM »

Combat readiness is the mechanic I believe, yes.
It was put there to stop people from just deploying all of their fleets all the time. You can mod it out easily though if you want

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »

Did you run out of supplies? Because thats one of the few ways to really run into CR problems.

How about running out of fuel? Isn't that taking the game away from the player?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:41:57 PM »

I am unable to figure out what "quicktime event" is even supposed to refer to. Unless it's used as an (obviously nonsensical) catch-all term for things where the player lacks their usual full control over whatever they were previously controlling.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »

I am unable to figure out what "quicktime event" is even supposed to refer to. Unless it's used as an (obviously nonsensical) catch-all term for things where the player lacks their usual full control over whatever they were previously controlling.
He might be talking about malfunctions in battle?
If so, those are there to stop fast ships from kiting other ships to death

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »

a Quicktime event is a situation in a game where the game takes control instead of the player. If we are displayed with ANYTHING that takes interaction away from the player, it takes away from the game, and as a result, ruins the point of the game.

I don't care if you are out of supplies.

I don't care if you have zero combat readiness.

Taking away the capacity to interact with the game (and no, I will not mod the game to fix a problem Alex made), turns this game into a depressing and frustrating screen saver.

This was a bad choice, it should be changed.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

Gonna be honest here, you aren't making much sense to me. Could you describe a specific circumstance where combat readiness caused you to not be able to play the game?

If you are talking about being in combat until the malfunctions kill you - you lost the combat, plain and simple. Its just like losing from lack of hitpoints, only slower, which gives the chance to retreat before it finishes you off.

Most games have losing conditions. Running out of hitpoints or food for example. Your opponent crossing the finish line first in a racing game. Running out of time on a platformer.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »

I don't think he likes the random weapon and engine malfunctions that come with a CR below 20% - hence "taking away the capacity to interact with the game."

If that happens, that's a fleet management problem.  Retreat the ship in question and deploy another.  If you've got everything on the field, man it out or retreat.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

Taking away the capacity to interact with the game

Funny, because one could argue that Combat Readiness actually ADDS player interactivity.

Also, you shouldn't call them Quicktime events. No such thing exists in this game.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

He just wants to be able to fly around infinitely and blow up ships and waaaay back when Starsector's campaign mode just began to bud, that is exactly what you could do. But man, that was a long time ago and Starsector was never planned to be an "arcade" shoot'em up.

Combat Readiness exists for several reasons and a major one is to prevent some super fast/agile frigate from kiting entire enemy fleets to death over hours of game timeā€”no lie, it used to happen and I'm sure there's a Youtube vid out there of one guy soloing an entire Hegemony Defense Fleet in his single Tempest frigate! As mentioned it also exists to bring a bit more strategy to ship deployment.

In the end though, different strokes for different folks. Starsector is intended to be a more strategic game with some deeper sim elements, not a twitch arcade shmup. Also, every patch alwaaaays brings a few folks out of the woodwork who complain about CR, lol

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »

Ohhh, he's one of those people.  Another Megas who wants to kill everything with one ship because of reasons.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »

a Quicktime event is a situation in a game where the game takes control instead of the player. If we are displayed with ANYTHING that takes interaction away from the player, it takes away from the game, and as a result, ruins the point of the game.

You are being extremely pedantic with this concept. Getting stunned in Dota or getting hit by a green shell in Mario Kart also takes control away from the player. Many games have negative feedback as a way to balance themselves, help players learn the game and to make their mechanics more interesting. I understand if you are frustrated with the CR mechanics, but please don't try to push what is correct game design like this just because of a strict interpretation of such a broad concept like that.
Pages: [1] 2