Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Mora  (Read 25858 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mora
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »

I think that if that System is nerfed, it needs to be nerfed in a way that doesn't cripple the already-not-great Brawler.  Like, make the cooldown scale with ship class, or something.  For the Brawler / Centurion, it's fine.  For the Mora, it's just a wee bit too much, probably.  Not that that has stopped me from killing it pretty easily.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »

I's say Damper flied should have some decent cooldown, and only reduce HE damage. That way it would be a great anti-torpedo system but wouldn't protect against everything.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »

Unless you wasted all HE ammo on moras 2 initial charges of damper field you will destroy it relatively quickly. People like to "just shoot". Mora got slow speed insane hit box and damper field is only defense for it which disables weapons while it is active. Fighters goes down very fast to dedicated weaponry especially new large flak - just play new version of "Predator or prey" mission and see. In other words use right tools for right job.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2017, 10:50:53 PM »

You don't control AI ships and fighters though. Or your own weapons on autofire, disabling them isn't always a good solution depending on your groups.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:38 PM »

You don't control AI ships and fighters though. Or your own weapons on autofire, disabling them isn't always a good solution depending on your groups.

X to hold fire. Though I guess an option to hold only non-PD weapons would be nice too. Or a hotkey to hold fire against current target only (that is weapons are free to attack anything else).

And AI could get better at attacking vs Damper Field.

Defertos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2017, 11:53:13 PM »

I's say Damper flied should have some decent cooldown, and only reduce HE damage. That way it would be a great anti-torpedo system but wouldn't protect against everything.

Soo.. an over 75% nerf by making it only work on 1 damage type out of 4 ?
I'm really trying but I really can't see how that ability is so overpowered to need such a heavy nerf.

I mean.. seriously, I have killed at least 25 Mora's in my campaigns in 0.8 so far in different team comps and I almost never had any trouble with them at all.

The only time I had issues was in a fight where I was horribly outgunned and in the end it was just me on my wolf and my hammerhead against a Mora, and since I really did not have that much damage output the fight kinda turned into a long chain of Raise flux, damper, raise flux, damper, until the Mora finally died.

If the damper needs to be nerfed the I'd say the only thing I could think of would be to increase the max charges from 2 to 3 and triple the time it takes to regain charges.
This way damper would still serve it's primary purpose of making Mora tanky for the duration it is active but it can no longer maintain it for long duration if the attackers are low on damage.

Also for anyone who had issues with Mora, just wait until you try to fight against a shade or an afflictor with a properly skilled captain.
The only way to kill them is to wait for them to drop to 0 CR, and with combat endurance that is going to be a while.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

I fought another pirate fleet with two Mora.  As before, they were a bit tough to kill, but they are not that bad.  Not overpowered enough (if that) to be a problem.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »

All damper field ships are the same. I can't think of any that is in itself too powerful - their loadouts and abilities are usually middling. The damper field only draws out the engagement, which spells trouble in case of the Mora because it has fighers. I often see two Moras being fielded at the same time, and handling 6 wings as well as trying to wear down one of these is generally a bit of a pain. I don't think it needs a nerf, but I'm not too hot on how damper fields work either (on - off - on - off all the time). I prefer fighting Templar Lattice Shields.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2017, 06:08:55 AM »

How does Damper Field compare to Fortress Shield?  Might be a trick question since Monitor is stupidly rare (and has innate hard flux dissipation) and Paragon is a killer battleship.

OzOnyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

Soo.. an over 75% nerf by making it only work on 1 damage type out of 4 ?
I'm really trying but I really can't see how that ability is so overpowered to need such a heavy nerf.

I mean.. seriously, I have killed at least 25 Mora's in my campaigns in 0.8 so far in different team comps and I almost never had any trouble with them at all.

The only time I had issues was in a fight where I was horribly outgunned and in the end it was just me on my wolf and my hammerhead against a Mora, and since I really did not have that much damage output the fight kinda turned into a long chain of Raise flux, damper, raise flux, damper, until the Mora finally died.

If the damper needs to be nerfed the I'd say the only thing I could think of would be to increase the max charges from 2 to 3 and triple the time it takes to regain charges.
This way damper would still serve it's primary purpose of making Mora tanky for the duration it is active but it can no longer maintain it for long duration if the attackers are low on damage.

Also for anyone who had issues with Mora, just wait until you try to fight against a shade or an afflictor with a properly skilled captain.
The only way to kill them is to wait for them to drop to 0 CR, and with combat endurance that is going to be a while.

And what fleet did you have to take down 25 Mora's (I'm betting it wasn't small)? Mora's are almost always the last left standing so you can focus them with a big fleet and they seem to go down fairly quick but if you only have a small fleet they can be ridiculous.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

I actually love fighting these things every once in a while (probably wouldnt enjoy seeing them spammed).  They make for some really epic takedowns.

My experiences using one in my fleet are pretty poor, though. I had a lot of trouble keeping one alive.  In my experience, the extra durability is more than offset by the dismal speed and lack of weapon range.  You have to babysit it to keep it from getting separated from the fleet, and it takes too long to get its wings into play. The much less durable Heron is far more survivable with its speed and range.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »

Quote from: Sherlock Holmes
Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay.

Let's see what were actually up against :)

This is the Mora

• A cruiser sized carrier with 3 flight decks, 2 medium missile & 8 small ballistic mounts
  • Middling to low flux stats, for a cruiser, at only 4000 flux capacity & 200 base dissipation
  • A 150 degree Omni Shield operating at 1:1 efficiency
  • 1250 armour.  Quite a lot.  A Dominator packs 1500, with most other cruisers carrying significantly less.  It is protecting 10K hull, which is about standard for a low tech cruiser
  • 45 speed.  Faster than an Dominator, slower than an Eagle, while also not having a speed related ship system as the Dominator & Eagle do
  • The much maligned Damper Field, recently gently caressed by the nerf bat and now providing 67% damage reduction while active
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:43:21 PM by TheWetFish »

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »

In my recent Carrier/Leadership focused playthrough, a superior carrier fleet tore these things up, even when they came two at a time. They were outperformed by Drovers, a full shipclass lower. Heavily armored  bullet sponges are no threat to .8 fighter potency. The only thing that slowed my carrier fleet down were heavily *shielded* opponents like Paragons, because I wasn't specced to take them down.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:52:36 PM by StarGibbon »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »

Either the Drover has an excessive amount of OP or the Mora has far too little.

Drover - 90 OP, Mora - 115

Wat? How does a larger ship with 3 fighter bays and waaaay more weapons slots to fill only have 25 more OP? O_o

EDIT: Wiki lists the Drover @ 90 OP. It only has 70.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:12:22 PM by Dri »

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »

Either the Drover has an excessive amount of OP or the Mora has far too little.

It's the passives in the leadership tree that makes them over perform.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6