Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Adventures of Cpt. McFatts and what I've learned about scavenging so far  (Read 5289 times)

NinjaPirate

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Mr. G Plays

https://youtu.be/V5OT4M5KjMM

**What I've learned about missions and scavenging so far:**

1: Get a fuel tanker (I know they're ugly but you'll thank me later)

2: Don't pound a ship to scrap (just don't) always salvage if you can

3: Analyze Missions tend to be at the edge of the sector so bring lots of fuel

4: Always poke around the system where your analyze mission is, there is usually good loot to be scavenged

5: It is good to remain independent if you're going to scavenge so you can put into port in most systems to refuel and resupply

6: Don't forget to turn on sustained burn when going across the entire sector

What tips am I missing guys?  Thanks for all the feedback on my last post.  I'm climbing the learning curve again.
Feel free to make fun of my bad gameplay here at Mr. G Plays
http://www.youtube.com/c/MrGPlays

Solar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Never respond to distress calls. I think these were put into the game to trick people? I've been to three so far, and they were all just giant pirate fleets waiting by the jump point.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile

Never respond to distress calls. I think these were put into the game to trick people? I've been to three so far, and they were all just giant pirate fleets waiting by the jump point.
Some are actually genuine and are a good opportunity to earn rep of you want to risk being jumped.

NinjaPirate

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Mr. G Plays

Good to know.  I'll wait till later in the game to try those.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

Tip: always recover freighters. They sometimes have secret stashes in their cargo hold that you only find during recovery. For example:

You can still scuttle them afterwards.

If the system has more than one jump point, use an outer one, and approach the inner jump point from in system while running dark. That way you can safely scout it and see if you can handle whatever is waiting there.

I found some nice surprises like cryo pods with an officer.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Tip: always recover freighters. They sometimes have secret stashes in their cargo hold that you only find during recovery. For example:

You can still scuttle them afterwards.

Hot damn, I was not aware of this.  :D

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I've found that sort of special loot while salvaging (not recovering) freighters, just to point out.

Yes, I WOULD like 250 hand weapons and 400 volturnian lobsters, thanks.

NinjaPirate

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Mr. G Plays

I've found that sort of special loot while salvaging (not recovering) freighters, just to point out.

Yes, I WOULD like 250 hand weapons and 400 volturnian lobsters, thanks.

It's also nice if you can recover a pod and get a crew member, or some illegal harvested organs.  I'm really enjoying the little things like that in this update.  That and how machinery finally has a use.  Woo hoo. 

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

I found some nice surprises like cryo pods with an officer.

I found all of my officers through cryopods. It's annoying when you find a timid one though, and you can't get rid of them.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's annoying when you find a timid one though, and you can't get rid of them.

Why not? Can't you just use the "Dismiss" button on the officer management screen?