Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: .8 feedback thread  (Read 104164 times)

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: .8 feedback thread
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2017, 12:18:32 AM »

How good is Salvaging skill?  Is it required to get the best derelict ship finds (like those people found in best derelicts topic) and looting rare weapons (and fighter chips), or does it just increase the yield of insignificant commodities like supplies, metal, fuel, and other salables only useful for a quick buck?

I don't think it affects derelict ships much (haven't thought about it), but research/mining/habitat stations require atleast 50% or 75% and give some nice goodies when you salvage them. Research stations regularly give high-tier weapons like Storm Neelders and Plasma Cannons and several LPCs. Afterwards the station is destroyed so you can scavenge the debris field for even more stuff.

If it lets you loot better ships then it could be worth a few points.

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2017, 02:17:46 AM »

First... did not read. Sorry. Too busy playing the release, 6 whooping pages already...

- the new industry play-style is fun-tastic. Also a nice synergy with surveying equipment, just planting it on a few 4-D-mod buckets and I can survey pretty much everything for free. Huehue.
 - I think it should be more obvious which factors contribute to "salvage accidents", and what reduces them. So far I am a little puzzled. After maybe an hour of game-time the loss of a few heavy machines does not hurt so much anymore, but still...
 - You just had to do it... "nearly, almost,etc" always recoverable after combat. I see that there is a point, but this makes me reluctant to use expensively restored prize-ships with the AI again. What is almost? 95%? Hrmpf.
 - There is no skill that reduces deployment CR drain anymore. This is sorely missed. A huge fleet of Junks probably will run okay anyway, but prolonged engagements with actual, military-grade combat vessels (that the player will not have many of...) will be both expensive and hard to handle as CR runs out much more quickly than before and also the higher durability of ships in general puts a higher strain on the CR-stat due to longer engagements. I'd like to see this come back in some form... especially as actual military ships should be able to handle longer engagements with an experienced officer in command...
 - The industry tree has a bit of an issue... big fleet means little range. I'd like to see either a skill or a hullmod that reduces fuel usage in this tree. Suggestion: Skill that covers the economic aspect of salvaging/scavenging, improving sales value of scrap metal, lowers price of fuel and reduces fuel use per D-Mod (can mix it with ethanol if You don't mind damaging the engine over time, right?) and maybe lowers crew requirements somewhat (experienced scavengers etc....), also giving a fuel discount on sustained burn while incuring some penalties like higher visibility, lowered max burn or even longer change-over time. Hullmod should probably do something similar to the latter.
 - I understand that the new layout means skill trees have to be a bit more mixed up, but they are extremely jumbled and I guess new players would feel overwhelmed with having to read all that and decide...
 - the higher durability in general is something I noticed impacting the game a lot. The most fun player-ship-type (for me at least) is a glass-cannon, but this layout suffered with this balancing change. Part of the tactics is to take out dangerous enemies quickly, which can no longer be done as effectively. I know it was one of the intentions to make more play-styles viable, but this makes me sad, personally.
 - whoooo fighters!
 - whoooo fighters!... also the new carrier is one hell of an annoyance. It eats quite a bit of damage, while the fighters act as meat shield, effectively suiciding into big ordnance intended for the carrier all the time. Even more durable Hegemony fleets now... ugh...
 - whooo fighters... did I mention whoo fighters... I don't know how the bombers performed in the more recent past (fighters were kind of a no-go for so long...) but those piranhas are dangerous. The bomb-wave hits everything with enormous destructive power. Lost my flag-wolf three times to my own sneaky bombers approaching and unleashing armageddon from the same angle I used to snipe a cruisers' soft parts... I'm not even mad, just this is... whow. Going to try building a junk-bomber fleet now.
 - where can I find stations to atomize with my new bomber-swarm?
 - the game feels vastly different to me now. Good but needs getting used to. Wish there were more pirate spawns...

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2017, 04:15:35 AM »

• The skill revamp is awesome, with the removal of the majority of OP-boosting skills being a welcome relief.
  • The changes and implementations of new mechanics do the boarding/salvage system so much justice
  • Finally, D-ships are actually viable now! And early game fights against pirates are actual, protracted, engagements, instead of chasing down a heap of loot pinatas waiting to be smacked into oblivion.
  • The tutorial was right on the money, great job with that!
  • Random name generator, yay!
  • "Wait, someone actually answered this thing? Well, I don't know what to say. Usually they either run or fight. So what'll it be?"
  • A bit of an issue with skills that grant "near guaranteed chance of own ship recovery if destroyed". IMO, it's understandable if the player has only one such skill, which would be de facto a dramatic boost to percentage chance of recovery, but why not bump it to straight 100% if the player has learned all of them (two? three?)?

I've only played for about 5 hours as a bounty hunter, but so far everything looks awesome! Amazing job!  :)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »

Alex already confirmed that near guaranteed chance of recovery in fact is 100%.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2017, 04:29:24 AM »

I suppose 'near'is to cover the eventuality that the ship gets destroyed in battle from overkill damage.

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »

I am loving everything except the complete nerfing into the ground of the combat skill line. What was previously something that granted access to a a unique playstyle (solo ship use) has been nerfed to the point of almost utter uselessness. The lack of any op boosting skills means it is impossible to build up any one ship to take on even a small fleet of enemy ships. I am aware that you're not supposed to be able to solo an entire gigantic system defense fleet but I feel like you should have to option to mostly solo the game with something like a fully kitted out Conquest which currently.

Also I feel like removing any sort of bonus from aptitude points makes them entirely arbitrary as a barrier to prevent you from choosing individual perks from different trees.Just remove the extra 2- 3 points on startup and let me choose whatever I want rather than forcing me to waste several lvls worth of experience simply to allow me the possibility to choose something useful.

I feel like the meta has changed too much from the previous optimal gameplay mode which was to solo fleets to something that forces fleet command. I think it's important that large fleet use is viable and encouraged but not at the expense of completely eliminating the playstyle. Combat skills and OP skills need to be reverted back to what they were before and aptitude points need to either give some sort of bonus or be eliminated entirely.

This is an open world game where everything is structured around player choice and the freedom that comes with it so removing an entire playstyle is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion to the extent where it kind of ruins the game for me.

Also, gigantic scavenger fleets just instantly turning pirate right in front of you when you're sustained burning somewhere and then wiping out your entire fleet is complete ***.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2017, 06:16:45 AM »

1% flux is too low even for flux-efficient guns like LMGs for destroyers.  It makes sense I cannot use flux-intensive burst weapons like Phase Lance or Plasma Cannon, but I should be able to fire a few flux-efficient pea-shooters to pick-off fleeing ships.  I get that it could be useful for beam and fighter ships, but I use neither as my flagship (partly because I have not played my game enough to have much of a choice).  Overall, current Helmsmanship 3 is not worth a skill point.  Just shield-flicker in a pinch or get more PD and save the point for something more useful.

@ Jonlissla: Thanks for the tip.  I found one such station, but having max Salvaging did not help me - I did not bring enough supplies or heavy machinery to do the job.  More high-grade weapons (including fighter LPCs) is nice, though I would probably take my luck with markets and killing fleets.  Now, if stations yield stupidly rare stuff like some hullmods I cannot get any other way, then it might be worth it (to the point of must-max like Surveying).  Seems like Surverying, Salvaging could be all-or-nothing.  If player wants to bother with it, go all the way and pay the skill point tax to do it right.

I suppose 'near'is to cover the eventuality that the ship gets destroyed in battle from overkill damage.
My thoughts exactly.  I have overkilled enemies before pre-0.8.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »

Also I feel like removing any sort of bonus from aptitude points makes them entirely arbitrary as a barrier to prevent you from choosing individual perks from different trees.Just remove the extra 2- 3 points on startup and let me choose whatever I want rather than forcing me to waste several lvls worth of experience simply to allow me the possibility to choose something useful.
Since we will probably get even more skills for outposts later, just remove the aptitudes (and/or raise the level cap to 50).  With so many skills, I already feel the squeeze from lack of points.  I barely have enough (or maybe not) for the bare minimum to support the playstyle I desire (hot rods that can snipe and stall, plus few QoL features).

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »

There's too much redacted
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »

So-called "Redacted" is getting old and overused.  At this point, Remnant is a "it was his sled" moment.

Axisoflint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

Not posted before, but like many of us, played since before it was starsector. Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this update. The game has always been great fun, esp with mods, but this update just blew me away with the increase in size and content addition.

Like everything, a few rough patches, but well, there goes my playtime for the forseeable future :)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »

The idea of Aptitudes is to discourage dabbling in all skill groups and make you focus more in one or two. Do away with it and skill categories become meaningless. You should, IMO, feel the squeeze of points: if you don't then the system's not doing its job, and you may as well have no limits at all (which you could make an argument for, but you could also make an argument for modding yourself into godlike levels: which I'm not judging, because I do that myself frequently).

I do think Aptitudes should have at least a token bonus.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »

If Alex really doesn't want aptitudes to give combat bonuses they could just unlock extra bonus content the way you do with surveying & salvaging.
ACTUALLY I just hit on something I think, use aptitudes to unlock in-game questlines & missions. Hegemony won't take somebody with freighting 800k units of food to their core world unless you have experience in operating a fleet, tritach won't task you with salvaging a whole [redacted] in tact unless you have the aptitude to conduct industrial work.
"What makes you qualified to bring back a hostile [redacted] in one piece?"
"I can fit 8 torpedoes on a single kite"
"NEXT!"
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »

If Alex really doesn't want aptitudes to give combat bonuses they could just unlock extra bonus content the way you do with surveying & salvaging.
ACTUALLY I just hit on something I think, use aptitudes to unlock in-game questlines & missions. Hegemony won't take somebody with freighting 800k units of food to their core world unless you have experience in operating a fleet, tritach won't task you with salvaging a whole [redacted] in tact unless you have the aptitude to conduct industrial work.
"NEXT!"

Inb4 Speechcraft skill, governed by Leadership.

I'm only half-joking. If more missions (especially story ones like the Tutorial) make it in I can totally see negotiation (and maybe trading as either part of or something separate) skills being a thing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:07:07 AM by Embolism »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »

"NEXT!"

Inb4 Speechcraft skill, governed by Leadership.

I'm only half-joking. If more missions (especially story ones like the Tutorial) make it in I can totally see negotiation (and maybe trading as either part of or something separate) skills being a thing.

I'm not even talking adding skills or anything, or even adding anything to the aptitudes, just making people not bother offering me these surveying contracts when my aptitude for industry is 0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27