Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: .8 feedback thread  (Read 103679 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
.8 feedback thread
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »

This will be short from me for now but I'll be adding as it goes, some bug reports will be in here.

- The new function of holding the mouse click to select to set the destination or to see the details of the location gets in the way more often than not. Maybe it's muscle memory of having played the game for hundreds of hours already but I have clicked on system details many times without wanting to by just normally clicking on locations desiring to set a destination. I wonder if others have similar feelings or if it is a pet peeve, but if possible I'd desire neutral clicks and held clicks to result in different things.

- The forcing autosaving in the tutorial can be confusing. It should either save automatically or strongly indicate for newer players that they have to press it in order to advance. The tutorial is very well made though, and besides a description string error I noticed when accessing the black market of the miners it ran flawlessly. I don't like the forced idea though, especially on future releases when most here will have no need for it. I also suggest to change the "Tutorial" button in the main menu to "Extra tutorials".

- Early game balance is perfect so far. More on this later but for the first time in years I'm doing missions because of the UI changes makes them so much more accessible.

- A certain weapon that dropped from a certain spoilery enemy had an odd missing description, which was strange since there is a vanilla one just like it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:48:14 AM by Cyan Leader »

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: .8 feedback thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »

also a bug i found was going too far out on triple monitor surround will *** up the ui while in hyperspace.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »

The Load game and now my save is corrupted thing is still here....

Seriously...this release is disappointing.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:38 AM »

The Load game and now my save is corrupted thing is still here....

Seriously...this release is disappointing.

Its fixed in the patch, which usually comes out 1 or 2 days after release. Report bugs, chill out, and in a couple days we will have the usual rock solid version.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

This isn't the bug forum. And in case people have forgotten, the game is in alpha. If you don't want bugs, wait for version 1.0.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »

Well the salvage mechanics are great, the tutorial system is cool.

But the category skills having no benefit really sucks. Spending skill points and getting nothing for them feels really bad, and this is a solved problem. Aptitudes having effects was a good solution that didn't need to be removed.

Also there's still some of those "it sucks doing thing X without having maxed out skill Y" bonuses still in industry that were supposed to be explicitly avoided, especially all the +10% salvage bonuses.

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

I really enjoyed the tutorial - though parts are a bit unclear in its first iteration - especially the "save game to progress".

- I wished the "quick save - F5" notification flashed or strobed, to make it clear that it is a requirement to progress in the tutorial. Or it should auto-pause the game and force you to after traveling a certain distance.
- the overall gameplay is developing into what I imagined/hoped it would become five/six years ago when i bought it. very much enjoying the minutae and complexity of managing a fleet and supplies.
- the new graphics updates are great. i love the new scale of the systems.
- there should be a warning of sorts when approaching known friendly ships while your sensor are off - I often forget i'm headed toward hegemony after hunting pirates and i'm dark.
- I wish I could go from Intel screen to the system map with one click.  And if you can, please tell me how. [edit: well easier than i thought - just hit TAB button]
- i'm confused how the weapon filter works with the ship refit - can't tell what clicks are filtering what weapons *edit ' okay, figured this out well enough. I think i was confused initally because types I did have but were the wrong size were auto'filtered out of the list, so I wasnºt seeing weapons when i expected them
- buying black market goods seems very easy without clear repercussions in ship refit screen. Weapons are there that I want. Its not clear what it means to buy them, and theyre available as default.
- a bit more of a transition at the salvaging screen - that is a slight pause, maybe a splash screen. would give a little more weight to the procedure.

edit: added:
- there should be a system map for supply use and distance (or at least time to destination, using waypoints) - like the interstellar map with fuel. I'm often not sure how far i can get my supplies, if it takes 1 day, 2 or an hour to get across to different locations.

Overall, i'm super happy with this release. its great.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:18:11 PM by harperrb »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

The hotfix has updated the tutorial and now it flashes the "save" instructions and also has bigger font
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »

as cyan says ........... i dont like the new menu either

the tut is good.

the missing hyperspace clouds is distressing and quite frankly, untenable. u cant plot a path between clouds because the only view u can see the clouds on doesnt show u enough to know anything.

the new planet based intel screen should link to said planets market (only after uve visitted it if u like and maybe only to the market info screen that shows demand and use)

everything else, damn fine.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »

Pretty sure the clouds show on the map...you just have to turn off "Starscape" yeah?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »

Two issues I have with .8:
The loss of the ability to set a (non planed) course on the Tab Map in the campaign
The loss of "right click to drop held stack" in the inventory menu

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »

I mean why would you not want a planned course? You can press "A" to resume it after you've made changes to course for whatever reason or just press "S" to cancel it. Plus it gives you extra info like days/fuel needed to reach it.

The one thing I wish is that Lay in Course was the top choice and not Show Info. Did the hotfix swap those?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »

The loss of "right click to drop held stack" in the inventory menu

(Oops, that's a bug. Noted.)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »

The new Khopesh rocket bombers are great—they really do a number on anything bigger than a frigate! Well, they'd smash a frigate too if they actually manage to nail one with a salvo.

Fighters and their carriers seem much more viable now and are quite effective!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »

I mean why would you not want a planned course? You can press "A" to resume it after you've made changes to course for whatever reason or just press "S" to cancel it. Plus it gives you extra info like days/fuel needed to reach it.

The one thing I wish is that Lay in Course was the top choice and not Show Info. Did the hotfix swap those?
I meant that you can't set a course in the TAB map without laying in a course. ANd many times I do this to dodge around a star or solar flares

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27