Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Blog post ideas  (Read 9589 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Blog post ideas
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

I received a suggestion to write a blog post about drawing the space backgrounds, and another about drawing the large-scale station sprites (which of course I can't discuss now due to REDACTED). I figured, hey, maybe (while feverishly waiting for 0.8) people might have some ideas on what they'd like Alex or myself to write about on the Starsector dev blog that we didn't think of ourselves.

Of course ya'll always want to hear about new features and I'm sure Alex will cover those in the usual way - after they've been proven to work. But what dev-related topics are you interested in reading about that we haven't thought of?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:34:06 AM by Gothars »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Blog post ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »

Perhaps you two could do an AMA style post? I mean, you already answer our questions on the forums but it would give you a chance to answer in more detail/in a different venue.

Some questions I would ask:
Both: How do you and Alex communicate/iterate with the creative process?
Alex: What is your rough time breakdown for idea work/coding/testing?
Both: Any favorite mods? (Might be too loaded.)
David: Are there any of the sprites you wish you could radically change? Not just details, but things like weapon placement, outline, etc.
Alex: What is your favorite drink?
David: If Alex told you to "Go nuts" and draw anything you wanted for inclusion in the game, what would it be? Share concept art plz.
Alex: Do you have any regrets choosing Java as the language for the game? Any particular frustrations/challenges? Things made easy?

I would also accept a blog post consisting of David's cats doing cute things. Perhaps with spaceships in the background.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »

- Im super interested in lore and storytelling. Since all the lore blogpost are from Ivaylo and not really canon anymore, anything in that direction would be gold. It doesn't have to be some grandiouse "official history of the Sector", a personal story from some Sector inhabitant would do nicely. Maybe about someone we may actually meet in the game? :)

- Tales from the cutting room floor. What features were you guys exited for that did not pan out? What went wrong? I curious how Starsector would be if things happened a little different.

@Thaago: Sounds interesting, but more suitable for a thread than a blog post.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:35:31 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »

Seconding the bit about lore. I'm a huge lore geek and the universe you guys have built is really interesting to me.
mmm.... tartiflette

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »

Perhaps more on mega corps like Fabrique Orbital or Tri-tachyon subsectors? Or perhaps the Ko Combine.
Maybe talk about the overall "state of the sector" in a press release or something similar by a prominent figure in game.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »

I'd like to see a blog post on combat AI & how that interacts with ship (and ship system) design - what design choices make a ship easy or hard for the AI to fly well?

(...I'd also suggest editing the original post to set "Don't use smileys", so that the in-development game version (0.8) comes out as a number.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

Well, anything having to do with the dialog illustrations would be nice for eye candy. Or something about updating those existing ship sprites that got touched up (so no spoiler)? Maybe some more up-to-date factions/sector lore blog post? Some stuff must have changed since Ivaylo's "The State of Affairs"! For Alex perhaps a top ten "Features you were sure would be awesome but turned out real bad"? Or the craziest, weird, most unexpected bugs encountered while testing any previous version... Or something fun like Coding/Spriting music playlists.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

All I know is that the next blog post needs to have hidden pictures of cats throughout.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »

All I know is that the next blog post needs to have hidden pictures of cats throughout.
The text becomes a cat if rotated 132 degrees clockwise and the colors are inverted.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »

@Thaago: Sounds interesting, but more suitable for a thread than a blog post.

Pictures of David's cats? True, I would accept a thread devoted to this. Though my own pictures a bit low quality - I need a better zoom lens.

#NotActuallyStalkingGodiva

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 12:12:55 PM »

Post about how you didn't go insane from developing this game for so long. Or about plans for multi-fleet control. Or about future plans.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »

But seriously, I'd be interested in a blog post about some of the BAD things that have happened in Starsector's development history. How about that one mechanic that a decent amount of time was spent on but ultimately was scrapped—and why! Or about that super frustrating week or two when things just weren't coming together? Dealing with burnout? Writer's block? Coding nightmare?

Let's hear them dark, morbid tales of Starsector's development gone (temporarily) wrong! Bonus points if you post notes/rough drafts/sketches that were scrapped.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

Post about how you didn't go insane

Assumptions, assumptions...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »

Assumptions, assumptions...
So all these REDACTED things are actually just your daily activites?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

- Im super interested in lore and storytelling. Since all the lore blogpost are from Ivaylo and not really canon anymore, anything in that direction would be gold. It doesn't have to be some grandiouse "official history of the Sector", a personal story from some Sector inhabitant would do nicely. Maybe about someone we may actually meet in the game? :)
This, definitely!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: [1] 2 3