Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starsector mission gameplay videos - Shameless self promotion!  (Read 17115 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector mission gameplay videos - Shameless self promotion!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »

Ugh. Finally got around to having another go at The Wolf Pack.  ;) Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/YrdAvfzhot4

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 05:20:15 PM »

Well done!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »

Phase fun in "Ambush"!

https://youtu.be/lqzVQn4Du_0

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »

Well done

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »

Hmm.... Sorry if this comes across as rude, but I feel like this episode highlights something that you might wish to have a look at.

What's the intended audience for this series? Currently, of course, you don't have one (or barely have one), but it's something to think about. Your reading out the mission description and explaining what a phase ship is and stuff like that implies you're aiming towards a broader audience, one that doesn't really need to know what starsector is. However, you then casually mentions the Eagle cruiser when comparing its armor with that of the Doom, without really telling the audience what the Eagle is or what the significance of it is. You also mention "harpoons" (as opposed to, say, Harpoon classes missiles), 1500 range (without really saying how long that is), CR and malfunction (without explaining those concepts), etc. which suggest to me that you're almost talking to the veteran starsector crowd. If you're looking to cater more to the outsider crowd, might pay to mind your vocabulary a bit more (understandable that you'd be used to these concepts, of course, being a veteran, but still).

I am also probably being overly grumpy here, but I didn't quite like how much you were laughing during the mission (yeah yeah.... I know.... how dare you have fun...). idk, I found it slightly off-putting but it's very much a personal opinion thing so feel free to disregard that bit.

Finally, Since you asked, I would like to see you failing, but maybe after a couple tries you can cut to a success and just put down the number of attempts at the end or something

Hope these have been constructive criticisms
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Hmm.... Sorry if this comes across as rude, but I feel like this episode highlights something that you might wish to have a look at.

What's the intended audience for this series? ...

In reality it's a combination of both. I'd wanted to do Starsector videos for some time, but I didn't want to go through a tutorial series or anything like that, I just wanted to play the game. But I had a dilemma when I started - I'd just joined the forums, where all the experienced players are, but my channel is also mostly Minecraft so my (small number of) subscribers might not know what Starsector is. I tried to roughly explain the game in the first episode and clearly stated that this wouldn't be a tutorial or informative series, but would just be me screwing around in the missions.

So I've attempted (badly) to appeal to both newcomers - maybe by subtly making them think "Ooh, Eagle cruiser sounds cool I must have a look and see what that means!" - and to more experienced players.

I am also probably being overly grumpy here, but I didn't quite like how much you were laughing during the mission (yeah yeah.... I know.... how dare you have fun...). idk, I found it slightly off-putting but it's very much a personal opinion thing so feel free to disregard that bit.

That... That's really strange.  ??? I can't even be irritated by the idea of me laughing putting someone off, but to each his own I suppose. There's just stuff I find funny. (Also I'm a bit sick of people telling me to stop goofing around in games and pay proper attention to what I'm doing - which is why I am physically incapable of playing StarCraft. ;D )

Finally, Since you asked, I would like to see you failing, but maybe after a couple tries you can cut to a success and just put down the number of attempts at the end or something

Hehe. Depending on what comes next, I'm thinking of a bit of "fail montage" kinda of content.  :P

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »

Phase fun in "Ambush"!

Fun video, and of course that was a valiant reading of the mission description. (I really ought to cut up some of those sentences so you have some time to breathe!)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »

Still enjoying these. Keep laughing. A fail montage sounds fun.

(@David: Sometimes when I read your texts I can't help but think of your old "The Trouble With Greebles" blogpost - there are some parallels between your old art stile and your writing. I mean, I love these texts, but they can be quite a mouth full.)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »

Fun video, and of course that was a valiant reading of the mission description. (I really ought to cut up some of those sentences so you have some time to breathe!)

Hehe, even my acting and theatre sports experience can't handle some of those, although a lot of my stutters come from weird combinations of words that my brain takes a few moments to process properly. For some reason, I find it really hard to say "Hegemony" smoothly in a sentence, and I have no idea why.  :-\

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »

The way I learned hegemony to be pronounced was like this: 'hedge-eh-moan-ee'. Or for hegemon: 'hedge-eh-mahn'. The 'eh' is usually spoken quickly or just completely silent.

Also, I wouldn't mind failed attempts. 2 or 3, or just significant portions, would be fine.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »

Finally got around to playing "Hornet's Nest", and surprise surprise, beat it outright first time - even as tired as I am after a full day at work!  ;D

https://youtu.be/lNnirpqmIbs

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 01:53:35 PM »

You'll find that you get better FPS if you install the FX Mod, which helps quite a lot.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 [2]