Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission  (Read 44057 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:10 AM »

Very nice, but if the Wolf D derelict you find is powered down and all messed up, why are the engines glowing in this pic of it?
Spoiler
[close]

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »

Hmm, small question, does setting the sector size to small, reduce the "gameplay area", decrease the star density, or a mix of both?. Mostly asking because of modding implications.

Too bad Salvage Dave didn't make it back.  I wonder if that means anything for the future of how player death is handled...

Or did he? Maybe he's layin' low. Maybe he's just drifting among the stars, floating in a most peculiar way; and the stars look very different today...

Fairly sure he is still sitting in a tin can.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »

Oh BTW, it's great the UI elements on the right side of the screen are now properly framed. Looks much better :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »

I swear, this blog post was spoopy.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2017, 09:44:33 AM »

Very nice, but if the Wolf D derelict you find is powered down and all messed up, why are the engines glowing in this pic of it?

... that's actually a bug, thought I'd taken care of that. Thanks for pointing it out, fixed!

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »

Couple things I noticed with this (if you're looking for feedback):

First line: A derelict Hammerhead (D) class destroyer is drifting through space. (Seems to make more sense to me)

The Crew & Machinery icons are fine but I think there'd be less visible "noise" if you could combine Required and Available. Something like Required (Available) so 30(46) & 10(10). It condenses the needed information so that they're side-by-side.

Beyond the nitpicks, this was a great blog and a fun way of presenting the info. I was just talking about emergent story-telling in the early game over in the Suggestions forum and this was a great showcase of how that plays out. Can't wait for more.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »

That was rad.

Can't wait to play around with all that fresh redacted content.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »

First line: A derelict Hammerhead (D) class destroyer is drifting through space. (Seems to make more sense to me)
Not necessarily. That sentence does make sense, though usually you'd stick a comma after "destroyer".
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:44:40 AM by InventorRaccoon »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

Couple things I noticed with this (if you're looking for feedback):

Always, even when I don't know that I am just then :)

The Crew & Machinery icons are fine but I think there'd be less visible "noise" if you could combine Required and Available. Something like Required (Available) so 30(46) & 10(10). It condenses the needed information so that they're side-by-side.

Yep, added an item to look at it.

Not necessarily. That sentence does make sense, though usually you'd stick a comma after "destroyer".

Added a comma there. The idea is that line is a description of the thing you're interacting with, rather that a description of what it's doing, if that makes sense.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »

Hmm, small question, does setting the sector size to small, reduce the "gameplay area", decrease the star density, or a mix of both?. Mostly asking because of modding implications.

Missed this - it reduces the area around the core worlds in which procedural systems are added, and reduces the number of star systems generated proportionally. The hyperspace area remains the same as for the normal Sector size.

Having seen the route planner in action, I can only imagine I will struggling to remember how I lived without it for so many years.

(Yeah, really enjoying that one myself.)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »

I hope we'll have more blog posts of that kind in the future, David. That was quite informative, and entertaining. By the way, some (suspiciously named) person did something like that on the rpg.net forum. Did the inspiration for this blog post came from there, or pure coincidence?

Also, i'm really glad you reworked that Hegemony flag.

1. Cool! The idea was to do a pretty standard LP and to make sure to hit lots of little new details so people could pick up on them 'naturally', so to speak. Also fun for me to be able to fill in some of the narrative details that the game glosses over, but of course didn't get too deep into the weeds there (because I could go on and on - I guess it isn't fanfic if it's a thing you're working on, is it; it'd be indulgent, anyway). Might have seen the LP you refer to at some point, don't really remember.

I'd love to add more narrative details of that sort. We've discussed ways to do some more of this and ... that's all there is to say about that for now.

2. Man, I re-did the Hegemony flag ages ago, probably shortly after the last patch. Got a better hang of PS's vector tools and figured it was time to step it up, basically.

I swear, this blog post was spoopy.

*tentative thumbs up?*

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Or did he? Maybe he's layin' low. Maybe he's just drifting among the stars, floating in a most peculiar way; and the stars look very different today...

Fairly sure he is still sitting in a tin can.
He's either sitting in a tin can waiting for rescue or he's very much floating as star dust after that Picket-class bested him. :)

Speaking of...might be interesting if there was a small chance of running into some trapped crew while salvaging ships from debris fields (as I think derelict ships are a bit too old and too far gone to have any survivors).  Maybe if it's fresh enough after a battle and you're going through the salvage, some rather grateful survivors could come out and join your crew, or even officers.

Hey, the debris fields and scavenging reminds me of that one-off Trade Winds mod that had all battles drops debris fields which the player could pick about.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

I'm not sure if it was mentioned previously, but does it consume heavy machinery when salvaging?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »

I'm not sure if it was mentioned previously, but does it consume heavy machinery when salvaging?
Somewhere, Alex said it doesn't directly consume crew or Heavy Machinery (that would just be evil, heh - "sacrifice 30 crew to run this Salvage Operation"), probably during a previous blog post.  Just need the listed amount of Crew and Heavy Machinery to run the operation at maximum safety, although there is a chance that some crew or Heavy Machinery might get lost during the operation, as this blog post shows at one point.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »

It's not consumed, no. Regular salvage ops also carry no risk to crew or machinery.

Scavenging inside debris fields (i.e. using the "Scavenge" ability), being a more risky business, does not actually *require* crew or machinery - but carries a risk of losing small amounts of either. Having machinery mitigates the risk to crew.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8