Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission  (Read 44077 times)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

Yes, I liked it too!  ;D

noego

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »

The stories that can be generated by this game are amazing. I'm waiting for Boatmurdered, spess edition, it'll come one day for sure.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »

Is there a reason for this? I only ask for a friend who happens to be a compulsive checker who has trouble not exhausting opportunities
I think I also have that friend.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »

Is there a reason for this? I only ask for a friend who happens to be a compulsive checker who has trouble not exhausting opportunities

Oh, right, never answered that. You can salvage debris multiple times but the amount you get is exponentially decreasing while the losses in crew and machinery are not. So it's more something you might do if you're desperate for a few more supplies right now, rather than as a matter of course.

For larger debris fields, it's going to be worth it to do a few times - but since there's a slight cooldown on the scavenge ability, it causes you to stick around for a bit, which I think also adds some nice feel.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »

Oh, right, never answered that. You can salvage debris multiple times but the amount you get is exponentially decreasing while the losses in crew and machinery are not. So it's more something you might do if you're desperate for a few more supplies right now, rather than as a matter of course.

For larger debris fields, it's going to be worth it to do a few times - but since there's a slight cooldown on the scavenge ability, it causes you to stick around for a bit, which I think also adds some nice feel.

As long as you can scavenge fairly discreetly! *cough cough Firefly cough*

felixsimon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »

There's been over a year since last release and still no info on when new release comes out... Just saying...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 12:15:59 AM »

There's been over a year since last release and still no info on when new release comes out... Just saying...

Don't worry, we've all been through that. There's a bunch of comments and posts on the fact that 0.8 isn't out yet, and the fact of that matter is, we don't know when it'll be out. We can speculate, sure, and it probably won't be more than a month from now, but when it comes down to it, 0.8 will be out when it's out.  ;)

"Good things come to those who wait," after all. Don't panic. If you're bored, check out some of the other suggestions to try something different with the current game - playing with mods is a good place to start.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 07:48:31 AM »

My recommendation is to take a break for a while. Play some other game like Brigador or finally finish that run of FTL that you've been putting off.

Or use a full on conversion mod like Ironclads for a new game experience.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

yeah, it's the longest release-less time yet, but it will also be the most extensive update yet. the amount of new stuff coming with 0.8a is honestly kinda crazy. ^^

Alex never gives an actual date on when the next release will be done, mostly because he simply can't know when that will be. game development, particularly of the kind and quality of Starsector, is often quite unpredictable, as the need for further additions, changes and fixes only becomes apparent as the update progresses.
he did however recently say it should be "very soon". so assuming there won't be any major upsets, i'm guessing it'll be out before the end of the month. :]

felixsimon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »

Problem is not in the wait: ive waited for 10 years for Diablo 3, and i believe that its better to wait, than to get unfinished product. My problem is that im afraid that such a long "dry season" will cause major lack of interest for the game and as a result, it will do poorly once fully released. after all people are interested in product, as long as there's something to keep them interested, like new content, added on regular basis. If theres no new content added for a long period of time, people will just move on and forget about this game.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

Problem is not in the wait: ive waited for 10 years for Diablo 3, and i believe that its better to wait, than to get unfinished product. My problem is that im afraid that such a long "dry season" will cause major lack of interest for the game and as a result, it will do poorly once fully released. after all people are interested in product, as long as there's something to keep them interested, like new content, added on regular basis. If theres no new content added for a long period of time, people will just move on and forget about this game.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that problem only occurs when games are advertised from an early age on big websites and providers such. Starsector is an Indie game with (I hate to say it, but it's true) not a huge amount of advertising. Compared to a lot of other games out there, Starsector is very little-known by the general public, so that issue of "people will lose interest" happens way less because the people who get into the game really get into the game.  ;)

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that problem only occurs when games are advertised from an early age on big websites and providers such. Starsector is an Indie game with (I hate to say it, but it's true) not a huge amount of advertising. Compared to a lot of other games out there, Starsector is very little-known by the general public, so that issue of "people will lose interest" happens way less because the people who get into the game really get into the game.  ;)
Yep, this is practically one of my dream-game genres (last game I played was Reassembly, and it didn't quite hit the spot). Open world, lots of different ships with interchangeable parts, factions with different relations, modding support? Pretty much perfect. Yet, I only found out that it existed when a youtuber (who I was following for a completely different genre of game) made a video early last year and I immediately went and bought the game. Not being on Steam is probably a big reason, though Starsector is not a game that should be on Steam, because of the release cycle and alpha and such. I feel like, maybe when the game gets a couple more updates (mostly more campaign stuff and Outposts and such), it'll get more attention.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

Agreed. I found out about it from a friend waaaay back in... 2013 or something? Played it for about three months then forgot it (I'm sorry!), and came back to it last year. Haven't been able to put it down since.  :P

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2017, 04:26:04 AM »

yeah, this "people will lose interest with long waits" is one of the reasons for why Alex has no intention whatsoever to use steam early access or similar. when you buy Starsector, you buy the game in its current state more so than any promises of what's still to come at some point in the future. and seeing as how i already got hundreds of hours of entertainment from ~0.5.4 to 0.7.2 (not to mention getting to know a bunch of great people in this community :)), i'm personally quite satisfied with the value i got out of my 10 bucks! ^^

and after the eventual full release (which will almost certainly include a steam release), the game doesn't need "new content, added on regular basis". in fact, the vast majority of b2p single-player games do not have major content additions after release, outside of payed-for DLC. patches to fix bugs, balancing issues, etc; yes. though even there Starsector's alpha versions are more polished than maaany 'finished' games.

i understand the concern, and i'm sure all of us here want Starsector to be successful, but i don't think its successful future will be hindered by the current long wait between patches. and it's already sold thousands of copies (we don't have official numbers from Alex on this, but iirc estimate based on mod downloads is minimum of 5k, probably more like 10k+) even before being available on any of the big stores.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:34:06 AM by Sy »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »

Regarding long waits between updates. I prefer it this way. When there's an Starsector update they are very well polished and mostly bugfree. Games which seem to update more regularly like stellaris are generally always so filled with gamebreaking bugs it's honestly very annoying to play (I don't hate stellaris). I have never encountered a bug in starsector and if I have it was so minor that it would barely have any gameplay effects. I think it's worth waiting for quality content that's well polished without frustrating bugs.

Kudos to you Alex!  :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8