Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [BUG] Expanded Magazines and ammo reload amounts.  (Read 2329 times)

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[BUG] Expanded Magazines and ammo reload amounts.
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:02:46 AM »

Not sure if this affects Vanilla weapons, but for weapons like the Sagittarius ADC in the Interstellar Imperium mod, when you equip Expanded Magazines, the ammo count goes from 80 to 120. However, it still only reloads 80 at a time, therefore forcing the player to wait for 2 full reload durations to get the full 120 rounds.

For weapons that slowly regenerate ammo, altering the ammo respawn time wouldn't make sense, but for magazine type weapons, it's really awkward that we have to wait a full reload duration to get that additional 50% magazine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:36:00 AM by Nighteyes »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG] Expanded Magazines and ammo reload amounts.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »

(Moved to this section because it doesn't affect vanilla.)

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. In theory, the reload size should probably be a mutable stat and the expanded magazines hullmod should perhaps affect it, but I'm not sure when/if I'd be able to look at that, with it not being used in vanilla and this being a bit of an edge case as well.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG] Expanded Magazines and ammo reload amounts.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »

This is (part of) what sunk the initial attempt to rebalance ballistic weapons using regenerating ammo instead of their current ammo-less state.  I keep considering trying to go back and implement a better ballistics-with-ammo setup, but not being able to modify regeneration rate or reload count makes that tricky.  (Though, hm... with the ability to add and remove weapons from a ship in 0.8, I could brute-force fake this, by making two versions of each weapon and having code that detects the presence of Expanded Magazines and then replaces the normal gun with a fast(er) reloading version...)

As for the Sagittarius ADC, if the mod dev wanted it to work the way you describe, I'm pretty sure they could set the reload count to 120 from the start.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.