Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Guide specifically related to startship sprite lighting? (Glows, windows, etc..)  (Read 1933 times)

Swizzlewizzle

• Ensign
    • View Profile

One thing I would like to do is add some nice window lighting/glows to my ships... but i'm not really seeing any good tutorials out there that cover techniques on adding lighting effects/glows to sprites specifically that would look good alongside the vanilla star sector sprite art style.

Does anyone happen to know of a tut that does cover this?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Not immediately sure what tutorials for lighting (specifically) there are out there, but I've recently been having a go at some simple window/bay/door lighting techniques that have been turning out really quite nice. I can give you some quick advice in that regard if you like.

EDIT: Had a quick look at the "Spriter's First Toolbox" thread (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0). There's a brief Light and Shadow guide by TheHappyFace under the relevant spoiler tab which could be worth a look.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:48:43 AM by AxleMC131 »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community

I just use brush tools 3px wide with Alpha 30~60% and trace along the edge. Works good enough for me.

Swizzlewizzle

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sounds good guys. I'll try that method and check out the short tut. Will show off what I end up with. ;)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Sounds good guys. I'll try that method and check out the short tut. Will show off what I end up with. ;)

Can't wait to see!  :D